Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2021, 01:04 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

New from Ohio : How do I open the front door?

Alright, you can get up from the floor now. I've had my bus for six or seven days now. I still haven't figured out how to get the front door to open from the outside...and it's not too easy from the inside.
There is this ring thing at the bottom of the door. I twist it and I see a lever move inside. No matter which way I move it the door won't open. I've tried leaning on it. I've tried kicking it. I've tried ramming it with my shoulder. The door won't open.
What is the magic trick?

MichaelTromba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 06:17 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
a first thing might be to describe what type,model,brand etc the bus is and if its a manual door with a lever inside or an electric / air door that you use a switch from the inside to open?
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 02:07 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Mine is a 1997 Chevy Blue Bird "AP65". I'd attach photos but I cannot. There is a lever inside but don't all busses have levers inside? Please look at photos in my gallery. Describing is rather pointless.
Old 12-09-2021, 02:20 PM   #4
Bus Geek

hard to tell but looks liek a manual double-out door? hard to tell if its a foldinfg in door.. pic is not the greatest,, the yellow jug looks like diesel fuel for a Diesel heater that is likely installed on the floor someplace perhas under the seat?

Bluebird CV-200 is what thats commonly referred as..

not all busses have levers.. my bluebird has an electric door.. thus why I asked

looks like someone already started some of the hard work!! put in a minisplit and also a diesel heater.. Nice!!
-Christopher
Old 12-09-2021, 05:39 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

I added more photos of the door and the lever inside. I still don't know how to open the door from the outside. Suggestions?
Old 12-09-2021, 07:04 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 31 ft. HDX
Engine: CAT C7 250 hp
Rated Cap: 36,300 GVW
It looks like a manual fold to the front regular old over-center school bus door.
You can't open it from the outside unless it is not fully closed. Very secure!
My old '58 Chevy had a similar door, very simple and secure but you had to enter and exit thru the emergency exit if you wanted the bus closed up.
My 2007 Thomas HDX has an air operated door, and when the air pressure goes away you could just pull open the door. I modified it with a locking bar on the inside so it is secure.
That's a nice old bus, have fun with it!
jimmythomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 07:12 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Go to the UserCP, in the upper left here. Fill out your profile with all your location and bus info. It helps tremendously to answer your concerns. My bus door is pnuematic, no handle. Like mentioned, when the bus is off, you just grab a rubber handle and pull the doors open.

Looking at your door handle pics, the button drops down into a hole when fully closed, locking the door. It can't be opened from outside when locked, access through the E door. You can fully close the door without locking it though, so you can get back in that door.
Old 12-09-2021, 07:22 PM   #8
Bus Geek

its called a Manual Jacknife door... when you pull it closed hard it latches the inside handle which essentially locks the door where you cannot open it from the outside..

bluebird gives you the handle at the outside bottom which comes out and rotates so you can GENTLY pull the door mostly closed outside and then latch it with that handle in the bottom of the door.. the inside handle will not be closed tight enough to latch on itself..

if the outside handle rotates hard then it needs to be taken apart and greased up.. they typically get crusty over the years..
Old 12-09-2021, 08:26 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks very much! I thought I was doing something wrong. It's great to know the bus is so secure! There is a lock on the rear/emergency door. I keep a ladder inside which I just pull out and use to climb in.

I really appreciate the help here. Thanks again!
Old 12-10-2021, 05:54 AM   #10
Bus Geek

be aware sometimes the locks on the rear emergency doors are tied to the ignition and wont let the bus start. since osmeone already started converting that bus your lock may be aftermarket or they may have already disconnected the interlock. . the idea was that in a real school bus it could not be operated with the back door locked in case of emergency..

one of the first things people often disconnect is such systems so you can run the bus with the dfoors locked.

what part of Ohio are you in?
Old 12-10-2021, 09:54 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Response for cadillackid

You asked what part of Ohio I'm in. I see you're in Columbus. I grew up in Worthington and lived most of my life in NW Columbus. I worked at OSU as civil service - crap pay, etc. I moved to Cincinnati seven years ago, near Mason. I love it here. Cincinnati is a lovely town and there is no Buckeye madness here. I'm a photographer in retirement so the many incredible vistas here are a joy for me. It's nice outside today so I'm going to do what I can in the bus without freezing.
Old 12-10-2021, 12:05 PM   #12
Bus Geek

itds definitely Nice!! I just left TAC bus parts in johnstown with pieces parts going to update one of my heater pumps today and some wiring.. supposed to be nice next week too.. Ill prob be heading to knoxville then maybe to orlando or lauderdale area for christmas after knoxville.. no reason to sit home alone bored for christmas.

I love visiting the cincy area.. I love to city-walk and Love coffee.. while columbus' coffee scene is on par with seattle, cincinnati is a much neater city to hang out in.. I love hills to walk and going over the river on the purple bridge too..

some good coffee houses for me to sit and write code in..

Mason Ohio is what brought the hobby of animated musical christmas lights displays into popularity back in 2004... I started in 2005.. won the all central ohio contest in 2009 (lots of photographers and cameras showed up for that)..

when I waqs upgrading the cooling systems in my busses I would go to cincy for testing.. using the I-75 south climb-out of downtown on the kentucky side as a way to see how hot my engine / trans would get.. id bury it foot to the floor for that whole mile or 2 long hill..
Old 12-10-2021, 07:18 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Busless for now
Hey, Michael & Christopher!

I have an uncle and a few friends in Mason. I also love Cincinnati. Been going there since my grandparents migrated from Somerset, KY, in the mid 60's for better work. Grandpa drove a forklift at Proctor & Gamble and Granny worked at the K-Mart on Ridge Avenue until they couldn't work any longer.

Cincy is a cool town. Been going to Redlegs games since the Crosley Field days.

Chris, I know that hill very well! It is a bugger whether you are going up or down, especially in rush hour or gametime traffic.

Be well, friends.

Marty
Kentucky Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 07:37 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky Dreaming View Post
Hey, Michael & Christopher!

I have an uncle and a few friends in Mason. I also love Cincinnati. Been going there since my grandparents migrated from Somerset, KY, in the mid 60's for better work. Grandpa drove a forklift at Proctor & Gamble and Granny worked at the K-Mart on Ridge Avenue until they couldn't work any longer.

Cincy is a cool town. Been going to Redlegs games since the Crosley Field days.

Chris, I know that hill very well! It is a bugger whether you are going up or down, especially in rush hour or gametime traffic.

Be well, friends.

Marty

I ran that hill last weekend headed to louisville.. took it in 4th gear at 65 MPH till I came to the curve and had to slow down.. 24 PSI boost, EGT around 1000 and still had lots left under the pedal..

I need to get my new turbo on(damn supply chain crap), I was still running a bit rich since it was rolling a little coal

the Orion Tuner and bigger sticks make a HUGE difference, highly recommend for anyone wanting their IH Bluebird to feel more like a bird and less like a whale.
Old 12-15-2021, 03:35 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Live and learn. I remember getting my last computer and could not figure out how to shut it down. Had to go to Staples and ask. Never occurred to me to go into "settings".
rebapuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 08:12 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I need to get my new turbo on(damn supply chain crap), I was still running a bit rich since it was rolling a little coal
What'd you go with?