Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2008, 09:12 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1965
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Chevy C60
Engine: 292 Chevy

Hello everyone, I am so happy about this website. My wife and I bought our bus in 2002 I think or around then. It is a 196? converted into a motorhome; This was how I bought it except painted a rough pink color;brushed on. The interior was a 70's style brown and it stank inside.

Anyway on the first run the engine blew about 80 miles out of town. The engine is a Chevy 292 inline 6. I replaced the engine with a 1967 292 from Autozone, which lined up fine cost $1200. I paid $800 on payments. So I'm into it for a lil over 2 g's including new starter, alternator, odds and ends. It is a manual transmission with a split rear end.

I took the interior down to the floor except for the kitchen area; which was not carpeted under. I Replaced the nasty plywood with new and carpeted over with 2 layers of gently used carpet. And I have updated the bathroom. I still have to hookup all electric and plumbing lines. The bus is set up for two breakers that plug into 220; this runs 3 recepticals and 2 rv a/c units on the roof.

She only runs on the reserve tank because the larger gas tank has gelled deisel inside and a few rust holes on the top. If anyone knows a cure or solvent I can add to repair this tank I would really appreciate the info.

This bus is very old and has rust under the front wheelwells and there is a rubber support with a bolt and has eaten through what appears to be a support beam for the exterior body panel between the hood and windsheild/body. This beam is an extension from the frame. It seems most of the weight is supported by the front shocks. Does anyone know about this? And would it be possible to have a replacement manufactured?

The rest of the body is nothing that cannot be fixed easily when I paint again. I painted the whole bus originally with rustoleum; which helped although has faded over the past 5 years or so.

I have uploaded pictures to the gallery if anyone wants to check em out. She is not a real looker but I'm working on that. If anyone knows where there is another with good fenders in the southwest USA please let me know. I think I will fiberglass what I can until I run across some fenders.

Well nice to be here I will be browsing on here daily. Please forgive all of the questions; I'm sure there will be more.
Shaun

shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:03 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Re: New Member

Yeah, a body mount; they are behind each wheelwell. I will post a pic that may help to identify.
It seems as though it supports under the drivers feet, or under the heater on the pssgr side.

Thanks for the response and info nice to meet you Smitty.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:16 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Welcome Shaun to the Skoolie family. I guess you are already considered an old timer since you had your bus for so many years already. Cant help you with your questions, but wish you all the best on your Skoolie adventure.
swinada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 11:38 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

right on shaun!yes thats the body mount you can get them try scotts super trucks.com or try any truck resto place the part you need fits 60 to 66 chevy c60 trucks the rubber can be replaced also it takes a couple of hours to weld in each side also a helpful site is c60.com this site has some links to old truck sites that will be helpful a 65 eh i tried to look at your pixs but they werent there we have a 65 wayne also! you can check it out on conversion projects thanks for coming in lets see!timbuk
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:43 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

The pics should eb in the gallery I think I named it dinosour Wayne or something like that.

Thanks for all the info and the warm welcome.
Shaun
Old 06-08-2008, 09:45 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

After running the vin # on some decoders I think she is a 1966. The lady I bought the bus from had it registered as a 1979, but the 1967 292 fit in perfect. She fired right up the day before yesterday but the harmonica balancer was wobbling so I think it needs repair/rplace; it is from the original engine that blew.

I better get this done in a hurry...the heat is coming and it is no fun working on anything when it gets over 100 degrees.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:23 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

hey shaun looked again for your pixs but none there your bus is most definatly no newer than a 66 thats the last year for that body style i can see that in yer avatar 292 harmonics are a 2 piece gig with a rubber between the 2 parts its problably the rubber thats shot.....tricky to change...need a puller good luck timbuk
Old 06-09-2008, 09:38 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Yep your right, that is the problem. I can not find a harmonic balancer anywhere nobody has them, unless I want to spen $300 for an after market High Performance; which I dont. So I think I'll send it out for repair.The auto parts stores sell a repair kit, but I dont have what it is going to take to do the repair (tools). I'm in the process of removing it. I thought everything was good, so I bought Insurance from GMAC. Under $300 for the 6 month policy and it is insured correctly...I still wonder why it was registed as a '79, you would think if you ever needed to make a claim they would not pay due to the shady registration. Hell I'm thinking of getting the classic plates, might as well do it right and ditch whatever hassles I can.

I'm gonna look for those pics and try to upload again.

One question; would a equally weighted harmonic balancer work as a replacement?>...say I found one off of a v8. I have read about issues with these due to the length of the block and that these engines are masive six cylinders @ 4.8 litres, the weight has to be substatial enough to balance. I only have and need the one fam/v belt and this balancer has 3 grooves.

Another interesting thing about this engine is when I put the gaskets on they suypply a gasket for running LP gas. Know anything about this?
Old 06-09-2008, 09:49 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Here is the link to the pics.

The front end needs a bit of work. Some sandpaper and a bit of fiberglass on the fron drivers quaterpanel.And the driver stack need adjusting, it hit an awning one time. Which is a long interesting story; and I blame it all on the city of Henderson Nv. Turns out you can't keep insured and registered vehicles in front of your house if they dont have an engine in. So we moved her and put it in the driveway......The hard and dangerous way.

I need some paint and sanding Oopmap Loompa's from home Depot. Then I'm ready to paint. I really like the look of Steve's bus.

http://www.skoolie.net/gallery2/v/Skooli ... Wayne_001/
Old 06-09-2008, 08:17 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

292 is a externally balanced motor you need a harmonic from a 292 fix the old one lp uses different gaskets because of running temp hey i saw the pics your bus is the same as mine but yours is wayne and mine is thomas you have some coach differences from mine.the piece you are missing on the front fender is the same as pickups they are spot welded in place find a old fender rob the piece and pop it in there looks like somebody cut a bunch of the grill out cooling? i love the rear deck and the roof rack its a cool bus did you look at mine? timbuk
Old 06-09-2008, 10:06 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

That is great news about the fender. The grill has never been there since we have had it. I was thinking of a peice of diamond plate or something. There has been a motorcycle shelf welded to the front. "They" may have removed the grill then. I searched for pics of your bus but I did not find it. When you get a chance put the link in, I'd really like to check it out. When I get a chance I'll upload a few pics of the inside, which is equal to the outside, I just need to put in the time to tie it all together.

Do you think it is beneficial to try and run lp or keep the gasoline.

Another thing is at some time before me; someone put deisel in the main fuel tank (drivers side) this is now a ball of jello...I have the tank out; is there any solvent to disolve this deisel and make the tank useable? Right now she runs on the reserve just behind the front door.
It seems at times I bought someone elses headache, but I feel I'm on the downhill side.I am not familiar with deisel; .... If cold can gel deisel can warmth liquify? I ask this because this has endured several Las Vegas summers and never liquified...Is it deisel or something else?
Timbuk as always I appreciate the shared knowledge.
Thakns again
Shaun
Old 06-09-2008, 11:33 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

okshaun go to the conversion projects page scroll down to "new member 65 chevy" you can see the pics there there are some on the photo gallery "timbuks bus" i dont know how to link it your tank is problably toast i would get a new one or a used one from something similar. crappy tanks will always let you down and create havoc it could be really old gas
Old 06-09-2008, 11:34 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

oh yea id keep the gas man my bus is on page 19 in the gallery 1965 chev and farther down timbuks bus
Old 07-06-2008, 12:11 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

hey shaun hows it going are you having any sucess with the harmonic? i ground all the bondo off my front fenders and am in the processs of welding them up ill take pics and post them up for you timbuk
Old 07-06-2008, 06:39 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

The harmonic damper is VERY important for engine life. No shortcuts allowed on that one. Make SURE you have the correct one for your engine. And they deteriorate with time. You can have it rebuilt by... (Edit Damper Doctor in Redding, CA http://www.damperdoctor.com/

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:31 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Naess

The harmonic damper is VERY important for engine life.
Just ask Mopar. Ever notice how you really don't see any Dodge Red Ram hemi's around? The 241, 270, 315, and 325 all lacked harmonic dampeners. That resulted in some pretty short crankshaft lifespans. I happen to know a gentleman that is rebuilding a 241 for his Dodge hotrod truck project. He has $15,000 (!) into this engine because parts are impossible to find. Retrofitting a harmonic balancer was of the utmost importance for him. The sad part is I still fear that little hemi will struggle to break 225 horsepower...but hey...it's period correct!