Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2009, 11:59 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B
Engine: 5.9 Cummins Turbo D
Rated Cap: 71
New member - New owner

Hello everyone. I just bought my first bus! Its a '95 Ford School bus with a Cummins 5.9 and Allison 545. I am really excited but know nothing about busses or diesels for that matter.

Just wanted to introduce myself, I have a million questions but I'll try to keep it to minimum. I am gonna try to get a pic up soon.

First issue - What makes the buzzer / alarm in the control panel to the left of the drivers seat go off?
Its not the doors, they have buzzers right on their latch. It didn't do this while looking at it, test driving it, or on the drive home. But later we fired it up again and the buzzer stayed on whenever the engine was running. Tried releasing the brake and flipping all the switches and couldn't figure out how to kill it. I am sure its something simple but we couldn't find it.

Next - I need a resource for all the info on my model of bus. Capacities, services intervals, etc. A manual or online source would be great. thanks

SlowMotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:04 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: New member - New owner

welcome aboard

you an change the IDK under chassis to ford B, ford builds their own truck chassis, if it has a ford nose and something non ford behind the hood it's a "B" chassis, same as a "F"series truck without the cab,

somewhere probably in/on the front overhead their should be a body mfg tag with seating capacity etc that will identify the body, ie; thomas, carpenter,amtran,bluebird etc.

once you locate all of the component id tags you can start an online search for info on all of your parts and pieces.

It helps to identify who is close to help you if you put your general location on your id info.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 04:27 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B
Engine: 5.9 Cummins Turbo D
Rated Cap: 71

Thanks for the responses. I found that the roof hatch wasn't shut all the way and that seems to have been the source of the buzzer.

Is this Cummins 5.9 the exact same as whats in a '95 dodge ram? My production date says Dec '94. Wondering what pumps I have and stuff like oil capacity.

Getting ready to change the oil and oil filter along with fuel filter, and tranny filter.

Wondering if I should do anything else to the 545AT other than new filter. Bus has 100k on it.
SlowMotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:56 PM   #4
KDN
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Engine: 5.9 cummins turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 72

Hi SlowMotion, I have the same engine and tranny setup as you. I have been told that the engine in my bus was basicly the same as the dodge, but with more horse power. The man told me I could order parts by asking (for whatever i needed) as a '91 dodge. Haven't tried it as yet. Let me know what you find out, I need all the help i can get!
KDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:29 PM   #5
Bus Nut

their should be a cummins engine data sticker on the left side of the front cover with the configuration and serial numbers, call a cummins dealer and get the right info from them, then make a friend at the truck parts store or NAPA, the floormat air freshener parts places are lost when it comes to medium duty truck (skoolie) parts.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote