Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2020, 01:39 AM   #1

New skoolie owner - leaks and all!

New skoolie owner here! After months of research and desires and hopes I finally bought a bus!! 2002 Freightliner Cat 3126 and Allison 2000. 7 window. 😊

And it leaked driving through a thunderstorm on my eight hour drive home. 🙃 A spot on the ceiling emergency hatch, two spots from somewhere above the dash, that the runs behind the dash and into a little waterfall going down the stairs. But no major rust, no rotted subfloor, no water damage, etc. That's why the leaks surprised me.

Any advice on dealing with leaks and taking apart the dash (the odometer doesn't work either)? I didn't even want to mess with dash stuff so I'm a little overwhelmed by the idea of it.

Are there ways to make the bus go up steep inclines faster? With the empty bus I went 65-70 mph easily on flat land and small inclines. Bigger hills and I got down to 55-60. Up the mountain was down to 45-50. The bus definitely felt safe and reliable and chugged right along, but I worry about speeds when the bus is heavier. I'm fine staying below 65, not in a hurry, but on inclines I'd appreciate more speed and power.

I also has totally forgotten what a rough ride buses are! Bouncy, rough, and squeaky and sudden air brakes. How do I keep the bus interior intact after I convert it?! I hadn't thought about it before but some of those bumps I encountered would have broken cabinets, I swear. I knew stuff would need to be secured but I'm not sure how to keep my stuff safe and not broken. Any special building tricks, or ways to make my bus ride smoother?

I'm overwhelmed and terrified but excited and cautiously optimistic. 👍

JujuJourneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 07:32 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
YEah, some buses have a downright harsh ride. Keep things that could break toward the front. The rear is the part that "hops".

Mine is a very similar bus to yours, only I got a 5 window. Mine also leaks from the hatch and upper windshield.
Just gotta get that windshield pulled out and a new gasket. And I still gotta seal over than hatch. I'm putting an rv rooftop ac unit there.
Good luck, and enjoy the new bus.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote