Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2006, 08:12 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

If Nebraska is anything like Kansas you can get a second opinion by going to another tag office. I found out that not all the tag offices know the rules and you get different requirements from each place. I bought my bus in June 05 and drove it around on a 12m tag for 4 months. When I went to renew my tag they told me i could'nt drive it without a CDL. I had to provide pictures of a cook stove (heat), toilet,120v plugin, and a picture of the outside, then it became an RV. Good Luck anyway. How far from Kansas are you ?

Bidin Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 07:13 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
funny note: it's a good thing mah bus came without seats, as in Nebraska, you have to have a licensed bus seat remover unscrew those bolts :\ i kid you not.
The obvious solution here would seem to be an angle grinder...that way, no unscrewing needed.

(I think about six of mine actually unscrewed, out of 24 seats with something like 4-8 bolts in each.)

I made my rear lights into brake & turn signals...something to think about. I used car-type sockets & 1156 bulbe...were I to do it over, I'd use the disposable "Truck-Lites" that many semi tractors & trailers have for taillights--cheap, weathertight, available at any truck stop or auto-part store, & nowhere near as many 4-letter words used during the install.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 11:48 PM   #3
Bus Nut

That is a load of poo poo. See if you can find the laws on the state website. I know of a couple busnuts in Nebraska. They did not mention anything funny about getting a title.

If you find the laws on the state website print it and take it with you. Most DMV people don't have a clue about the laws. You will get different answers depending on who you talk to. There is a good chance you got bad info from who ever they talked on the phone with.

If all else fails you could always buy a bus from another state that has already had the title changed.
busone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 01:54 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 International diesel
Rated Cap: 60
Take those flashing lights out and put some of those big KC offroad lights in there! I agree about going to another tag agency. Matt
https://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...DSC02426-1.jpg
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 02:39 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: INternational DTA 360
make it easy on yourself register it at AAA

I've posted this before on another thread, forget DMV, go to AAA they are paid to be nice to you and solve your problems. I was in and out in under 20 minutes with my plates and tags in my hand, and that was in california to boot which is very anal about strange things.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:18 PM   #6
Bus Nut

I've never herd of an insurance agent being able to issue tags for a vehicle eather. A car dealership maybe but not an insurance agent. Maybe it's diffrent in California.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:54 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: INternational DTA 360
they aren't just for insurance

AAA does a whole lot more than insurance, in fact I don't use them for insurance I use them for roadside assistance and so I never have to go into the DMV again. Since I joined I have registered a trailer and my bus there and both times it was pleasant and painless. they also do travel arrangements and new car purchasing.