Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2020, 07:47 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Newb looking for some help

Hey guys! Due to struggling with the daily grind and a love for adventure, my husband and I have decided to go for it a build out a short bus/shuttle bus. We live in Alberta, Canada and I’m struggling to find something that’s a good fit. There’s a few shuttle buses out there but they’re around the 250-300k mark and that freaks me out a bit. As for short buses I’ve found three, ones a E350 6.0 diesel with 246km for 7500 and ones a 2008 6.6 duramax diesel with 241km on it for 11,500 I’ve also found 2003 chev 6.o bus with 348km for 3500 and insight on which one to choose? Or what we should be looking for in a bus or shuttle? Any direction would be greatly appreciated!!

Jenelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 07:55 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Do NOT, I repeat. DO NOT buy a 6.0 diesel Ford at any price. The engines are junk and Ford is being sued over them. The 6.6 DuraMax is an okay engine, but is known for losing the fuel system prime on some models and the injectors on LB7 engines are a known issue. I'd go for the 6.0 gasser myself, just my $0.02.

One other thing, a smaller shuttle bus can be a bit cramped for two people, you might consider a larger shorty if you can find one. Usually can find one for about the same money discussed for the ones you mentioned.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 07:57 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Yes thank you!! I was going to add that we are planning on staying away from the ford 6.0
Old 05-31-2020, 08:00 PM   #4
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenelle View Post
Yes thank you!! I was going to add that we are planning on staying away from the ford 6.0
I added some further advice to my original post. Might want to check it out again. Also, I have a sort of primer I've compiled, some from my own experience, some of it from other members here, and while it is a long read, it can help you greatly in choosing the best bus for your needs. If you like, I can post it here, or email it. If you prefer email, shoot me your email address via PM.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:28 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Chassis: BlueBird
Engine: 5.9 24v
If you go the shorty bus route I'd recommend air ride. We had a few BB shorties that were spring ride. If you weren't special needs when you got in, you were when you got out. They beat the snot out of you. This is down in Georgia where the roads aren't that bad.
stamp11127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 08:44 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Hey id love to read what you have, could you private msg me as it won’t let me send my email as I’m a new member
Old 05-31-2020, 09:10 PM   #7
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenelle View Post
Hey id love to read what you have, could you private msg me as it won’t let me send my email as I’m a new member
Done. I don't claim to be a messiah or go-to, some of my knowledge is from personal experience, some of it from other members here. ;)
Old 05-31-2020, 09:13 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
I don't claim to be a messiah
Muad'Dib is Fremen for "wagon made of cheese", though.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:34 PM   #9
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Muad'Dib is Fremen for "wagon made of cheese", though.
LOL - Had to look that one up before I realized what Muad'Dib referred to...
Old 05-31-2020, 11:58 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
Do NOT, I repeat. DO NOT buy a 6.0 diesel Ford at any price. The engines are junk and Ford is being sued over them. The 6.6 DuraMax is an okay engine, but is known for losing the fuel system prime on some models and the injectors on LB7 engines are a known issue. I'd go for the 6.0 gasser myself, just my $0.02.

One other thing, a smaller shuttle bus can be a bit cramped for two people, you might consider a larger shorty if you can find one. Usually can find one for about the same money discussed for the ones you mentioned.
I agree with Cheese Wagon on the 6.0 Ford. They have some inherent problems that can result in catastrophic failures. They can be "bulletproofed" and made good engines but the cost is fairly high if you are not able to DIY.

I would buy a Duramax with few reservations.

The Chevy 6.0 gas motor is well liked here by many. I bought one last year and drove it several months before I put a for sale sign on it. I really tried to like it but the lack of towing power and the lousy gas mileage were too much.

Of those three I would lean towards the Duramax.

You may consider looking at short CE buses. I have seen 5&6 windows with T444e, DT-360 and ISB engines that would all be good choices.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote