Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2022, 03:23 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Newbie hello and sadness

Hello, newbie here and I put a deposit on a bus to pick up this weekend and now I’m emotionally torn and need to tell someone.

It’s a 93 international, I searched for over a year for a mechanical 466. I called the local dealer to order some maintenance parts and based off the vin they say it’s a dt360, and although that’s a good engine, it saddens me. It seems near impossible to find a mechanical 466.

My reason for a bus isn’t the norm I assume. I’ve looked at early dodges or 12v swaps, military trucks, and now buses. I wanted a mechanical engine for the arsenal in case I need to make my own bio diesel, my modern common rail is a lot more finicky. So for that aspect I suppose this bus will work, just a big deflation from a 466.

I’m also considering ordering one of the few remaining mt643 to upgrade some but the whole dt360 has taken the wind out of my sails. Anyone here can cheer me up?

IndianaSchoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 03:38 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I been rockin a DT360 all over the country for 6 years now!! no wind outta my sails!! I did ditch the crappy AT545 when it blew up and put on a MT643.. i dont drive a bus because i want speed.. i drive a bus because i want to enjoy the trip.. I lived the road trip life of 80 MPH drives that went like a blurr for years..

I dont miss those days at all.. I drive my bus slower.. biut she will run 68 when I ask her to.. the only time its a little sluggish is when i have both A/C compressors on.. (the bus was built without A/C and I added it so thats not the engines fault)..

I'll gladly enjoy my Little DT360 .. i suppose i could turn it up if I want.. i might someday.. I do have another "built" bus that will haul ass (80 and that bus isnt even breaking a sweat).. but honestly I really dont drive that one fast either.. if i have somewhere to get fast thats what southwest airlines or my Hemi Ram is for...

my busses? they are for enjoying a ROAD TRIP.. and all that entails.. seeing the sights, stopping places and not being in a damn hurry

unlike a cummins 5.9, the DT360 is a wet-sleeve engine just like its 466 cousin.. which means you can rebuild it if you wear it out..

yeppers I like my little 360!!
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 03:44 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
if you are experienced enough to do the work yourself.
then there upgrades for the 360.
my son is building a 360 out of a school bus to put in his super duty when his motor dies.
he has upgraded to a different fuel pump
just got the ford diesel transmission back from the tranny shop with all the upgrades to handle the 350-400 HP he is trying to get up to (when i talk to him i can tell what transmission).
his head is at the machine shop getting taken care of and fire ringed.
yeah it still isnt a 466 but there are ways of helping it gain some power and torque.
good luck
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 05:46 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

So I saw a farmer swapping coolant filters on a 466 and he was concerned when he saw a lot of rust, potential liner issues. Something I never considered. It am now thinking of.

With your 643, I haven’t dug into the swap yet, but the one from lkq has a converter. I think I also need some adapters/spacers for flex plate? Will the driveshaft. Bolt right up or do I need to shorten?
IndianaSchoolie is offline   Reply With Quote