Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2021, 09:24 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Newer buses

Hello! So I keep hearing about some kind of emissions policy that just got rolled out regarding buses from 2000 and back. Apparently these buses are no longer being sold? After beginning my search for my first conversion, I noticed these older ones are no longer being sold or inventory is scarce.
Been widening my search for newer ones mainly from 2001-2007 and was wondering what the pros and cons there are to these newer models; or if there are any I should avoid. I’ve asked around nearly everywhere in the west coast about dt466 or the t444 but they keep telling me they’re “older” buses now. Don’t know exactly what that means. I guess an 8 window are in high demand these days and are going up in price?! at least from what I heard from Kurt of wolf creek bus sales..

Any leads would be appreciated as I’m now considering traveling to the Midwest or east coast..

Anyway, any details would be appreciated!

Thank you!

BusDreamerRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 09:31 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
In 2004 the EPA mandated emission changes that added equipment that was prone to failure, hard to diagnose, and expensive to repair. Doesn't mean you will have problems, but the likelihood of it compared to pre 04 is much higher. I have noticed since buying mine in 2018 that the pre 04 buses are getting very hard to find. We're in the transition years to where the schools have already outlived the pre 04's and they are no longer being made available because they unloading newer models now. Accordingly the prices on the pre 04's are rising because of supply and demand. I would not be opposed to having a newer bus and just maintaining the heck out of it to avoid any issues. Some of the post 04 buses are less expensive than equivalent pre 04. Probably won't be an issue because the pre 04's will be gone, but getting rust free buses from the PNW will end also as they started using salt on the roads a couple years ago now.
Old 03-17-2021, 11:28 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2013
Chassis: IC RE
Engine: HT570 / 3500SP
Rated Cap: 4
Mostly everyone on this forum will tell you to stick with a pre-emissions engine. Well. I think nothing is perfect, and you have to choose the best compromise. On one side, 20+ years old buses, with the so-said better engine but everything else on the bus would not benefit from this age. Or, a newer (7-10 years old) bus, about the same price, with everything probably easier to work on and in better shape. I chose the second option, because I hate rust. Didn't want to fight with 20+ years old stuck nuts and bolts each time I work on the bus. Seals, brake lines, hydraulic hoses, etc. ... all these parts are less susceptible to fail on a 7-10 years old bus than on a 20+ years old bus. And, it may be because a majority of members have older buses, but I see a lot of issues with pre-2000 engines and transmissions, too.
That said, it is only my choice, and I totally understand when one prefer to go with a pre-emissions bus. The best would be a newer late 90's bus
ABBus is offline   Reply With Quote