Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2011, 10:10 PM   #1

Noob, checking in...

Hello all,

So, I have been thinking about converting a school bus into a full time home.

I'm in college for nursing, and when I'm done I'd like to be a travelling RN. No permanent address, lol.

Any travelling nurses on this board? Sound like a plan?

bubbaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:09 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: Noob, checking in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlindquist
Hi Bubbaman,
RVs are frowned on enough when driving or parking at hospitals or medical facilities, a converted skoolie may cause harassment, ticketing or towing.
Rich
Not really true. Depends on the area. My dad spent some time in a couple of the VA hospitals (Asheville NC & Richmond VA.. we were told by an aide to not be in the Richmond VA parking lot after dark... or anywhere outside our hotel room after dark... Richmond was a strange place). There were RVs parked in the parking lots that families were staying and sometimes the patients. There was ALWAYS at least two in the Asheville parking lot when we would go over. They also had a deal with the campground down the road with special rates.

Go to Escapees Discussion Forum and scroll down to "Working on the Road". I think there are some traveling nurses there. They do quite well from what I understand.

Because you will most likely be in private campgrounds.... try to get a flat nosed skoolie. you want a conservative paint job and one that will "pass" for a "typical RV". You will run into campgrounds that simply will not take you on a monthly basis. there are normally more campgrounds to choose from. If no campgrounds then make sure you have an adapter (30 amp to 50 amp box if you wire your bus for 30 amp service) and check into a mobile home park. you would be surprised how many will take an RV. You may need to buy some adapters to get completely hooked up and you may have to set up your electric/cable/internet service yourself (we did.. but cable/internet only... electric was metered) but it's not a big deal and it is doable. After the first time, you will have a good idea of what is involved. Get a good mail forwarding outfit (Escapees is the best but you have to join them). There are several buses already converted for sale here that you may want to look at. Save you both time and money. You can remodel later after you have spent some time in the bus and know what you need a little better.

BTW, we have lived in private & public campgrounds since 2006.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:37 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

You don't need a school bus, what you need is a bus that was built as ambulance. (A guy who posted here bought one about a year or two ago.) That way you could keep the paint job and park at the hospital. What could they say?

Welcome to the madness.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:32 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
and check into a mobile home park. you would be surprised how many will take an RV. You may need to buy some adapters to get completely hooked up and you may have to set up your electric/cable/internet service yourself (we did.. but cable/internet only... electric was metered) but it's not a big deal and it is doable.

thats what i did!
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote