Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2016, 06:52 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Nope, that's not a slide out!

It is just this kind of thing that makes me glad to be driving a steel bodied skoolie even if it is 80 odd years old.

The damage to this late 90's Ford cutaway sticks and staples was caused by a Toyota Camary that drove off after the crash!

ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:43 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
It blows my mind how flimsy those things are.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:14 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
This is why I like School Buses - which are virtually built like tanks.

All bets are off for fiberglass bodied buses - especially after a few years of age, and the steel structural supports begin rusting out.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 03:46 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
I see some load bearing cardboard in there...
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 04:39 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
Load bearing cardboard, that's so pathetic..... yet another reason to hate S&S RVs.
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 05:14 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
And some campgrounds ONLY accept RVIA certified units...

Put one up against a Skoolie and see who survives!
Old 11-01-2016, 02:05 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Preaching to the choir brother..... but you're right. Give me steel over fiberglass any day of the week. Fiberglass has its uses but not as an RV body over flimsy innards.
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
Old 11-01-2016, 02:35 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
whats the deal with campgrounds andeven somestorage facilities against skoolies..

one place i looked here in florida to store the DEV.. and they were like "oh thats a Bus not an RV"... its clean, professionally painted, and nicer than alot of the "RV's" I saw parked in there...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 03:03 PM   #9
Bus Nut

I reserved an RV space at my storage place... when they saw it was a bus all they did was move me to the other side of the access road where the commercial trucks are parked... none of this "oh that's a bus we can't let you park it here" nonsense.
Old 11-01-2016, 03:13 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlleyCat67 View Post
I reserved an RV space at my storage place... when they saw it was a bus all they did was move me to the other side of the access road where the commercial trucks are parked... none of this "oh that's a bus we can't let you park it here" nonsense.
I didnt have any trouble in Ohio at all... all i got from them was "Nice bus!, thats in great shape!"..

one place here in florida said "we dont accept anything that even Looks commercial..."

and another said ss I mentioned.. "oh thatys a bus not an RV"..

NEXT!..

I found another closer to my apartment and that guy is all about the bus.. he has even ridden it.. and now wants to get one of his own..

but its just interesting though how some places dont want anything to do with skoolies but old ratty cardboard boxes coated in dented aluminum foil are OK..

-Christopher
Old 11-01-2016, 09:28 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Amtran Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84

[URL=http://s1244.photobucket.com/user/asetechrail1/media/SandS/54AFDD5F-690C-4F81-81CB-5299373E5EF4_zpsgbitsbwe.jpg.html]

[/

This is why I went with a school bus instead of a fiberglass coach. Nine people ended up losing there lives in this crash.
Asetechrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 10:17 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
That's not a fiberglass coach. It's a later-model Prevost, and they're mostly made from stainless and non-stainless steels. However, their roll-over strength may be not quite as good as a skoolie's because they don't have as many window pillars and roof ribs as a typical skoolie. Mind you, any accident that caused that much damage to a Prevost would also make a real mess of a skoolie - nothing will survive rolling down a steep embankment. A typical S&S RV would just be kindling if that happened to it - multiple slide-outs and heavy granite countertops don't help in a crash.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 11:44 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Amtran Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84
Hate to have to disagree with you but I took those pictures today. I was standing right by this coach and it is indeed a fiberglass body. Admittedly anything taking the kind of hit this did is going to be damaged. I however; would much rather take my chances in an all steel schoolie.
Asetechrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:36 AM   #14
Bus Nut

The rear panel at least is fiberglass, you can tell by the type of damage in the last picture.... metal wouldn't have that "ripped" look to it. If they used fiberglass in one place, you can bet they used it in other places as well.

The scratches and scrapes on the front also tend to bear this out... metal would be shiny where the paint scraped off... those scratches looked white to me.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:30 AM   #15
Bus Geek

any Bus in a rollover is going to be a bad scene... the biggest nemesis in a converted skoolie rollover would be all of the items inside the bus..

unfortunately i see an awful lot of barely-secured home refrigerators in coinverted skoolies... even if the bus itself survived the crash that frig will will people....

in this prevost its clear to see it collapsed in whatever type of crash it was in.. and most likely people went flying everywhere..

-Christopher
Old 11-02-2016, 10:27 AM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
When I said that Prevosts are made from steel and stainless steel, I was referring to their structural framework behind the body panels. Even if all their fiberglass (or GRP or whatever) panels were all removed, their structural integrity would not change - such panels are non-structural. I remember seeing a photo of an Eagle that had been stripped of all its body panels down to its bare skeleton, and it was driving along the road no different than if it were complete. Prevosts and MCIs are not true monocoques like the old GMs were, where the skin was part of the structure just like in an aircraft. My bus has fiberglass front and rear ends, but behind them there's still a framework of welded steel tubes to give strength - a Prevost is essentially no different in that respect. However, on the rolled Prevost in Oregon most of the catastrophic damage was to the roof, and the only things holding the roof up are the pillars between the side windows and the front and rear ends' structural supports. From that aspect, the material the body was paneled in is largely irrelevant: if it had steel panels riveted on like a skoolie, it would still have ended up looking the way it does now.
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 11:55 AM   #17
Bus Geek

and school busses look similar when they roll... theres been photos of IC busses flipped and the windows are often close to flattened on one or both sides..

they are Busses, not Jeeps... I rolled a wrangler once and didnt even break a window.. (cracked the windshield).. no one wants to ride a bus with thick tubular bars all aroudn them like you have in a wrangler..

-Christopher
Old 11-02-2016, 05:11 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
When I said that Prevosts are made from steel and stainless steel, I was referring to their structural framework behind the body panels. Even if all their fiberglass (or GRP or whatever) panels were all removed, their structural integrity would not change - such panels are non-structural. I remember seeing a photo of an Eagle that had been stripped of all its body panels down to its bare skeleton, and it was driving along the road no different than if it were complete. Prevosts and MCIs are not true monocoques like the old GMs were, where the skin was part of the structure just like in an aircraft. My bus has fiberglass front and rear ends, but behind them there's still a framework of welded steel tubes to give strength - a Prevost is essentially no different in that respect. However, on the rolled Prevost in Oregon most of the catastrophic damage was to the roof, and the only things holding the roof up are the pillars between the side windows and the front and rear ends' structural supports. From that aspect, the material the body was paneled in is largely irrelevant: if it had steel panels riveted on like a skoolie, it would still have ended up looking the way it does now.
Agreed. Very well put.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 05:41 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Genesis/Am-Tran Tall Roof
Chassis: International, 643 transmission
Engine: DT 466ci 250hp, International
Rated Cap: 86 screaming Monsters
skoolies scare Americans that fear homeless people that act like they help but truly would never consider helping any one. They are so negative they can never think to appreciate that some one could find a different way to live free'r than they do in this country. deep in side if your Skoolie works out for you they are pissed as your not contributing as much of your soul to this engine we fuel called America which shits most of its fuel out the tail pipe in wasted BS because these people will stand up to a skoolie being built in there neighbor hood but not to government waist of almost every penny they give to the machine.

I may have issues with the government?
Geo Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 06:52 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo Jeff View Post
skoolies scare Americans that fear homeless people that act like they help but truly would never consider helping any one. They are so negative they can never think to appreciate that some one could find a different way to live free'r than they do in this country. deep in side if your Skoolie works out for you they are pissed as your not contributing as much of your soul to this engine we fuel called America which shits most of its fuel out the tail pipe in wasted BS because these people will stand up to a skoolie being built in there neighbor hood but not to government waist of almost every penny they give to the machine.

I may have issues with the government?

and thats why we ARE in america... any of us make or made a choice to build a house in an HOA controlled area or live in a city apartment, etc... the choices are living away from the government controlled cities.. sure there is still reach however not nearly as much..

its up to any one of us to start a business somewhere housing Skoolies, or being a skoolie friendly campground with facilities for storage, shops to work, etc..

the government doesnt stop us from open ing this type of place.. many other countries a person cant even own a school bus let alone build it, drive it, park it, and enjoy it..

I may not dig my HOA... however it is My choice if I choose at any time to hate them enough that i can call a realtor, sell the house, and move elsewhere...

a total PITA? yeah but we have options
-Christopher