Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2018, 09:41 PM   #1

Okay with dogs?

My husband and I are looking into converting a bus to LIVE IN. We have two medium sized dogs, and we’re not necessarily worried about the space inside, but we’re concerned about the fact that we won’t have a yard or anything. Can anyone comment on their experience having dogs and living in RV parks or how you make it work? Obviously we would walk them but normally let them into the backyard and they run around so we’re just concerned with the fact that we’d have to change and start just taking them on walks to go potty and that’s the only time they would be outside. I would love to be able to rig up a little fence type thing to the bus but obviously in an RV Park we wouldn’t be able to do that.

Please let me know how you make it work and if it’s still awesome! Lol
Thank you!

KSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:59 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
About all you can do it put them on a long lead. I'm trying to figure what to do with 5 cats.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:04 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window

i have 3 panels that hang on the side of the bus that form a u shaped pen when set up. the dogs go in and out whenever they want. i just find a grass spot to park on when on the road and let them do they're thing. i stop ever 3 hours we all need a break. i got the bull fence panels from tractor supply, they are 16' long and 4' tall.
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:05 PM   #4

Can you do that at an RV Park?
KSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:22 PM   #5
Bus Nut

yes and everyone walking they're dogs love it and come over to meet my 3 dogs. i never had a problem yet at campgrounds or truck stops or malls. i get some looks but no problems. never been stoped by a cop nuthing. i have a few pics you can see the hooks below the upper rub rail. click below
Old 03-08-2018, 11:18 PM   #6
Almost There

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: DT360
I don’t personally have a dog or live in my bus yet, but I know there are very pet friendly RV parks out there. There’s near where I live that has a couple of dog park areas.
wendysdrivethrudude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 06:56 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I know lots people that have a similar situation living in downtown apartments in cities.. they say the biggest thing for them is taking the dogs out for long walks... the dogs psychologically do much better when they are walked.. and are quite happy with 20 minutes a day or so of walking..

Dave;s setup is super cool. and a great idea if you are parked for awhile in the same spot where they have room to walk around and also lay outside too...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:07 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I know lots people that have a similar situation living in downtown apartments in cities.. they say the biggest thing for them is taking the dogs out for long walks... the dogs psychologically do much better when they are walked.. and are quite happy with 20 minutes a day or so of walking..

Dave;s setup is super cool. and a great idea if you are parked for awhile in the same spot where they have room to walk around and also lay outside too...

-Christopher
i use step in posts and bungee cords to set it up, only takes a minute. i never walk my dogs, they all want to go at once. at around 80 pounds a piece that's impossible by myself. my dogs wont bite but they will run and run. make sure you have collars with all your info on them just in case.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:51 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
I walk my dogs, period. I drove semi long haul for twenty years, always with at least one dog much of that time with two. I always walked all of them. Before that I raised and trained livestock herding dogs for 10 years sometimes with as many as 20, I walked with them twice a day. Now that I am retired I walk my dog. I have enough property that I could just let her out, I don't, I walk with her.
During those trucking years my dogs walked of leash by my side across busy truck stop parking lots from the age of about 4 months.

Kate, over a million miles, and Molly, about 300,000 when I retired.

More than one dog is a pack. A pack of dogs will do things that one dog wouldn't think of doing. My dogs would rather do what I am doing, it just might be more interesting.

Another of Kate.

somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:56 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
About all you can do it put them on a long lead. I'm trying to figure what to do with 5 cats.
I love cats...5? Not so much...since cats like to climb...how about a covered run on top with ramp access?

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:09 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa View Post
I walk my dogs, period. I drove semi long haul for twenty years, always with at least one dog much of that time with two. I always walked all of them. Before that I raised and trained livestock herding dogs for 10 years sometimes with as many as 20, I walked with them twice a day. Now that I am retired I walk my dog. I have enough property that I could just let her out, I don't, I walk with her.
During those trucking years my dogs walked of leash by my side across busy truck stop parking lots from the age of about 4 months.

More than one dog is a pack. A pack of dogs will do things that one dog wouldn't think of doing. My dogs would rather do what I am doing, it just might be more interesting.

Another of Kate.

I think you hit the nail on the head.. your dogs want to be with you.. according to one friend of mine they welcome you to the pack.. you are a pack member, they want you with them. the 2 friends im closest to that live in downtown apartments, came fro mthe suburbs with big yards. and their dogs are happier being in downtown than they were in the burbs.. both of them admittedly said :we just let the dogs outside in the fenced yard all the time:.. now they actively walk the dogs each day, and are with the dogs when they go to the city park to play.. (which as an option, many city parks have areas for dogs to run, that are fenced in... great option to take your dogs to go play frisbee, tennis ball, etc without worry of them running off or getting hit by a car, and not leash bound all the time.. )..

Cats? they seem to like the most attention at home time.. my cat curls up behind me on my chair or hangs out on my computer desk in the sunshine with me.. getting up high is definitely the way a cat feels safe in unknown circumstances.. so maybe build your cat a little loft up above the windshield or such where they can see you but can hide-away.

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:15 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa View Post

Another of Kate.

Beautiful dogs

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:16 PM   #13

Do you have a picture of that set up? I am needing some tips on the same idea.
Atreptow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:43 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I think you hit the nail on the head.. your dogs want to be with you.. according to one friend of mine they welcome you to the pack.. you are a pack member, they want you with them. the 2 friends im closest to that live in downtown apartments, came fro mthe suburbs with big yards. and their dogs are happier being in downtown than they were in the burbs.. both of them admittedly said :we just let the dogs outside in the fenced yard all the time:.. now they actively walk the dogs each day, and are with the dogs when they go to the city park to play.. (which as an option, many city parks have areas for dogs to run, that are fenced in... great option to take your dogs to go play frisbee, tennis ball, etc without worry of them running off or getting hit by a car, and not leash bound all the time.. )..

Cats? they seem to like the most attention at home time.. my cat curls up behind me on my chair or hangs out on my computer desk in the sunshine with me.. getting up high is definitely the way a cat feels safe in unknown circumstances.. so maybe build your cat a little loft up above the windshield or such where they can see you but can hide-away.

-Christopher
I have 4 cats that know I'm Daddy. They have a cat door in the front and to the back deck and can come and go as they please. I know at night they leave the yard, but during the day they never do and if they even see another human or hear a car on our country culdesac, the head for the cat door and hide inside. This comforts me as I have had other cats that were not as wary be stolen, and I don't worry about them being hit by cars when I'm not home, or when I am. The issue I see right now is accommodating 4 cats on the bus, something I personally don't want, the 4 of them that close to me all the time. My friends tell me to not take them on the bus if they are outside cats, as they will attempt to head back homew right away. I think they would want to head back to me, they only safe haven they know, and wouldn't leave me to go home without me. But I'd hate to find out the hard way they were right. I have to many "children" and don't know how to solve the dilemma. My cross countries will have to wait till they die.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 01:35 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I lived and traveled full time in my first bus. I had, over the course of my travels, 1-3 Golden Retrievers and a cat.

Two of the dogs were 100#+. The third was a pup that grew to 100# after we moved out of the bus.

The biggest challenge was keeping the cat safe. He was a skitzy indoor cat and was always trying to get outside. Then he would be terrified and run or hide. To much fun searching a strange campground looking for a terrified cat.

Now I have two adopted chihuahuas and one of them loves to travel. The other freaks out. We have to crate him when we travel.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 01:37 PM   #16
Bus Geek

I forgot to mention dog hair....

We lost our last Golden almost three years ago..... I still find dog hair in the house.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:41 PM   #17
Bus Geek

I forgot to mention dog hair....

We lost our last Golden almost three years ago..... I still find dog hair in the house.

Tags
dog, dogs