Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2019, 07:50 AM   #21
Skoolie

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Leyland
Chassis: Leyland
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 17500, probably kg
Finally if all the goods in a market are out of your value range you have two choices: 1. Accept that the market value it higher than you and don't buy it, 2. Adjust your value range up.

I did want to address the difference between maintenance and improvements... Mowing the lawn is way different from renovating the kitchen... Bus conversions fall into the renovation category. If you disagree then adjust your value range accordingly, but realize you may not find a seller with close enough a range.

Crisfole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:29 AM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebusmagique View Post
Am I the only one who thinks that a converted bus should be worth less than the sum of the parts you put into it? I've seen some conversions asking for $30k-$70k which just seems absolutely laughable. I feel like if I buy and convert a bus and spend $25k total and then live in it for 2 years I would happily let it go for $15k-20k. I certainly wouldn't ask for higher than the price of the materials that went in. I don't understand people charging for their labor when they're not operating a business.

Thoughts?
Rationality and reason don't factor into a LOT of folks' decisions after watching YouTube and social media. They want a "skoolie" TODAY and don't spend the time to properly examine how to go about that the best way. So they look at buses for sale and they see em "ready to go" freshly painted beige or "conversion blue".
Everybody and their brother ARE sorta trying to go into "the skoolie biz". I've met SO MANY of these "tiny house experts" etc... A sucker is born every minute, ya know?
I've said it before and I really mean it- I'd pay more for a fresh-from-the-route bus than I would for someone else's project. Completed or not.
Some folks don't care if they're posers for buying one already tarted up for fifty g's. If they're happy then that's ok. But its totally ok to rag on bus pricing cause its SILLY.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:36 AM   #23
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post
That's like saying someone is trying to charge you for gas and oil changes as opposed to modifications they have done to the bus. Some conversions are done much better than others. When you think someone is is asking too much for their bus on skoolie.net, send them a PM and ask them if there is room on the price. If you thread crap in their for sale thread, count on receiving a warning.
I get that, but you gotta understand, man- in your absence we had folks coming in here making a mockery of our site by trying to use is as a platform for peddling their overpriced shoddy products. An actual company was trolling us for a while.
I think when folks come out of left field and come here strictly to list a bus for fifty grand we have a sort of moral duty to express skepticism. For the uninitiated, uneducated, skoolies-to-be reading along we have to let them know, right?
FWIW- I'm NOT saying thread crapping should be allowed- but we can't just give them carte blanche to make a joke of the for sale section can we?
Old 09-19-2019, 10:19 AM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
So much BS in this thread...

but I'll add some points anyway:

Some of the very worst work I've seen done was Professionally done...

Almost nobody cuts corners like a professional needing to meet a deadline or a price point...

As I look at some of the build threads here I'm really impressed with the quality of work some of you have done -- often overkill... and certainly taking waaay more time than any "professional business" could take the time to do.

Something for sale is ALWAYS ONLY worth what someone else will ACTUALLY pay you! (you can't lie to math)

If "one" feels their time/labor has no value -- I feel sad for them...

That is all...
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 10:47 AM   #25
Almost There

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC1000 FE
Engine: 5.9
I'm not sure how this got so out of control. I wasn't trying to stir the pot. I just wanted to get a better idea of how and why people price things the way they do and why a bus seems to appreciate in value.

Thanks for all the comments.
lebusmagique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 03:38 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
I'm not sure how this got so out of control. I wasn't trying to stir the pot. I just wanted to get a better idea of how and why people price things the way they do and why a bus seems to appreciate in value.

Thanks for all the comments.
People are all over the place on asking prices for converted skoolies. There was a pretty basic and rustic skoolie offered here for $12,000. It looked like a fair deal for what it was. Last year there was a gal in California that posted a little bit nicer conversion for sale. It was just a little nicer but still had a T444e & AT-545. She was asking $65,000.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 04:34 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
freshly painted beige
Uh, what's wrong with beige?
Old 09-19-2019, 04:37 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Uh, what's wrong with beige?
JUst noting that the quick flippers go for the usual skoolie colors... Forgot to add that they usually use HOUSE paint.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:53 PM   #29
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
JUst noting that the quick flippers go for the usual skoolie colors... Forgot to add that they usually use HOUSE paint.
Uh, what's wrong with HOUSE ... haha, just kidding - I'm using Rustoleum spray paint!
Old 09-19-2019, 05:13 PM   #30
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Uh, what's wrong with HOUSE ... haha, just kidding - I'm using Rustoleum spray paint!
FWIW beige is a great color, as is conversion blue.
Wasn't picking on anyone here- just the bus flippers who see what's trending and try to capitalize.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:23 PM   #31
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
SNIP...I think when folks come out of left field and come here strictly to list a bus for fifty grand we have a sort of moral duty to express skepticism. For the uninitiated, uneducated, skoolies-to-be reading along we have to let them know, right?
FWIW- I'm NOT saying thread crapping should be allowed- but we can't just give them carte blanche to make a joke of the for sale section can we?
A similar thing has happened with my beloved IHC Scout II
Just a few years ago they sold for little more than scrap value -- now they are suddenly as wanted as early Bronco's and selling for almost as much...
With that comes shoddy "restoration jobs" and if you don't know how to find rust under fresh paint -- too many buyer beware stories...

If you don't police your own community/forum you risk it being devalued as an information source.

If you think a bus is being sold by a "flipper" cutting corners and asking too much coin. Maybe just ask a couple polite questions like. "You're asking a lot of money for this bus, can you be more specific on what kind of paint you used? How did you treat for rust before laying down a 'new' floor? Got any pix of the kind and amt of insulation you put in the walls & ceiling?

You'll quickly weed out any characters that don't want their low quality work exposed.

the IHC forum (binderplanet) folks are quick to point out any flaws or omissions in an unreasonable ad. Usually it comes from someone linking an ebay or CL ad and asking about price...

If I ever sell my Scout I'll link my ad with the build thread of the Scout -- you'd quickly be able to find every thread I started asking for advice on rebuilding the engine, every modification, how I re-engineered the rotted out body mounts...

If I ever sold the Murder bus you'd find my first threads here and know I got my bus for free (actually I paid one US dollar, and have been quoted as saying "I paid too much!") and sought advice on the best way to fire up a bus that'd been sitting for several years... You'd also be able to judge what kind of mechanic I am as I document the maintenance love...

You get the idea...

lebusmagique -- you didn't stir the pot. You asked a legit question -- you're just a little surprised at the level of passion in the answers -- but there's some good info here.
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:46 PM   #32
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by banman View Post
A similar thing has happened with my beloved IHC Scout II
Just a few years ago they sold for little more than scrap value -- now they are suddenly as wanted as early Bronco's and selling for almost as much...
With that comes shoddy "restoration jobs" and if you don't know how to find rust under fresh paint -- too many buyer beware stories...

If you don't police your own community/forum you risk it being devalued as an information source.

If you think a bus is being sold by a "flipper" cutting corners and asking too much coin. Maybe just ask a couple polite questions like. "You're asking a lot of money for this bus, can you be more specific on what kind of paint you used? How did you treat for rust before laying down a 'new' floor? Got any pix of the kind and amt of insulation you put in the walls & ceiling?

You'll quickly weed out any characters that don't want their low quality work exposed.

the IHC forum (binderplanet) folks are quick to point out any flaws or omissions in an unreasonable ad. Usually it comes from someone linking an ebay or CL ad and asking about price...

If I ever sell my Scout I'll link my ad with the build thread of the Scout -- you'd quickly be able to find every thread I started asking for advice on rebuilding the engine, every modification, how I re-engineered the rotted out body mounts...

If I ever sold the Murder bus you'd find my first threads here and know I got my bus for free (actually I paid one US dollar, and have been quoted as saying "I paid too much!") and sought advice on the best way to fire up a bus that'd been sitting for several years... You'd also be able to judge what kind of mechanic I am as I document the maintenance love...

You get the idea...

lebusmagique -- you didn't stir the pot. You asked a legit question -- you're just a little surprised at the level of passion in the answers -- but there's some good info here.
Great post, and very well said!

On Scouts- I had a 73 Terra II in high school. 354 with a 727 and Dana 44's. I ran some 33's on it and had a blast with that Scout. We got it basically for free. My Granny was a realtor and someone died leaving it in a barn. She got it in a property deal. Had 80k original miles when I got it.
Took the top off and never did put it back on!

I'd love another one but at todays prices I'd settle for a decent K5 Blazer and even those are going up in value fast.
Old 09-25-2019, 04:49 PM   #33
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird, Collins
Chassis: G30 Bluebird Microbird, E350 Shuttle Bus
Engine: 1995 Chevrolet 350, 1992 Ford 460
I rode the “ chicken buses” in Central America. They are former school buses from the USA. I wonder how much they pay for them?? Some are fixed up and the paint jobs are interesting and colorful. Very uncomfortable for a tall adult however.
If someone wants to “high ball” the price on their bus that’s their prerogative. They may need to be very patient to make the sale. And if it’s overpriced for the quality they may get a lot of lookers and low ball offers. I’ve seen some high priced vehicles where they don’t seem to be serious about actually selling. Just fishing around to see if there are takers.
Iwouldnt ask less for my bus because it’s empty and I took the seats out. I’d ask more. It took time and effort.
Doktari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 04:55 PM   #34
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Am I the only one who thinks that a converted bus should be worth less than the sum of the parts you put into it? I've seen some conversions asking for $30k-$70k which just seems absolutely laughable. I feel like if I buy and convert a bus and spend $25k total and then live in it for 2 years I would happily let it go for $15k-20k. I certainly wouldn't ask for higher than the price of the materials that went in. I don't understand people charging for their labor when they're not operating a business.

Thoughts?
No you are not. I am with you here. I'll have ~$15k total in my bus when finished. I plan to use it for ~15 years and then give it away. However, some people really value their labor and if some sucker out there is willing to pay for it, so be it. I do literally laugh at a lot of these buses for sale at a price of $30-100k, but that's easy for me to say. I'm 35 years old, healthy, do not fear projects, have a good understanding of math, etc... so building my bus to completion will only take me a few months total just working on nights and weekends. It's fun, practical, and free education for me. Some people just don't feel that way about it.
PagosaDosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 05:33 PM   #35
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Gillig bros. of hayward ca.
Engine: C180 supercharged cummins
there are a lot of replies.. was some good reading.. i have owned or worked for a shop most of my 50 years in the work force.. i built my 41-46 white- gullig bro's bus from the bare frame on up.. i have never parked next to another like it.... as far as pricing my bus, you would laugh or have a heart attack i am sure.. but it is how i value it.... and that is all that really matters
whiskey runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 06:24 PM   #36
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird, Collins
Chassis: G30 Bluebird Microbird, E350 Shuttle Bus
Engine: 1995 Chevrolet 350, 1992 Ford 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by PagosaDosa View Post
No you are not. I am with you here. I'll have ~$15k total in my bus when finished. I plan to use it for ~15 years and then give it away. However, some people really value their labor and if some sucker out there is willing to pay for it, so be it. I do literally laugh at a lot of these buses for sale at a price of $30-100k, but that's easy for me to say. I'm 35 years old, healthy, do not fear projects, have a good understanding of math, etc... so building my bus to completion will only take me a few months total just working on nights and weekends. It's fun, practical, and free education for me. Some people just don't feel that way about it.
Ok, BUT, where does the cash flow for the next rig, or other needed item, come from if you have given away your bus?? Just saying, for myself, after carefully maintaining and fixing things over years and other projects demanding funds this approach doesn’t make sense for me. I simply try and ask for “fair market value” neither low or high ball price. I understand if others have a different approach and strategy. So the short answer is “it depends”..........
Doktari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 04:45 AM   #37
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskey runner View Post
there are a lot of replies.. was some good reading.. i have owned or worked for a shop most of my 50 years in the work force.. i built my 41-46 white- gullig bro's bus from the bare frame on up.. i have never parked next to another like it.... as far as pricing my bus, you would laugh or have a heart attack i am sure.. but it is how i value it.... and that is all that really matters
Your rig is truly unique and special.
Old 09-26-2019, 08:02 AM   #38
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
This is one of those topics that has far too much generalization to make any sense to me. How much is a diamond worth?? There are so many variables that you can spend $100 or $100M. Our rigs are no different, IMO. Why worry about what others are asking for their rig?? If you are planning to sell, value yours as you see fit and be satisfied with the result. If purchasing, offer what you think its worth (to you) and see what happens. Neither telling or thinking the seller is wrong provides anything positive to you.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 12:31 PM   #39
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1969
Chassis: Loadstar
Engine: 345
What does being 'a business' have to do with an asking price? That's rhetorical by the way. I spent, part-time, 18 years working on my 2-story rig. Engineering, paying for custom work, spending my precious time on my converted '69 Int'l was designed intentionally for me through and through.

If I care to sell, there are many people on the hook who have expressed desire to own her. If I decide to sell after living in her for 5 years, I obviously intend to convert another bus to a home or must move to live SOMEWHERE! Cashing out on my awesome converted bus means I plan to use the money for my next project...or home.