Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2020, 05:31 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Opinions welcome! 2006 IC 3000

2006 International IC Corporation 3000 school bus. 28 feet
New starter, interglow solenoid plug, relay, hydronic brake switch, fresh oil change and oil filter.
169,000 miles

I have the opportunity to purchase this bus, any thoughts about the quality of IC 3000?
Thank you!!
Margaret

msfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 06:07 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
What engine? Anything MaxxForce and with DPF and/or DEF will have emissions hardware that is simply easier to just avoid (very expensive to fix when things go wrong). All the DPF and later DEF systems came out around 2004, I would personally look for something prior to that.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 07:04 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
What engine? Anything MaxxForce and with DPF and/or DEF will have emissions hardware that is simply easier to just avoid (very expensive to fix when things go wrong). All the DPF and later DEF systems came out around 2004, I would personally look for something prior to that.
Diesel Particulate Filters actually came out for 2007. Diesel Exhaust Fluid systems (also called Selective Catalytic Reduction) came a few years later and Navistar adopted it very late. However, this bus should have Exhaust Gas Recirculation regardless of whatever engine is in it.

OP, You should dig into it more and figure out what engine is in it, there are several possibilities. The 6.0l (VT365) and DT466 are most likely, the latter is regarded as being better.

How much are they asking and from what area is the bus from?
Truthseeker4449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 08:00 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Also I see you're from IL, be very wary about rust. It'll cost a fortune and a ton of time to remediate. Many folks avoid buses from The Rust Belt for this reason, be prepared to travel for a good rust free candidate.
Old 08-22-2020, 08:02 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the info.
She sent me a car fax and it says 6.0l 8.
It is in Nashville which would work doe me getting it. A lot has been done that I would need done, she is asking 14k, I would intend on less.
I will ask about the specific type of engine,
I really appreciate your taking the time to help.
Margaret
Old 08-22-2020, 08:06 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
Also I see you're from IL, be very wary about rust. It'll cost a fortune and a ton of time to remediate. Many folks avoid buses from The Rust Belt for this reason, be prepared to travel for a good rust free candidate.
Absolutely, I asked about rust and have undercarriage pix that look good. Excuse my ignorance, but if it’s the 6.0l 8 does that mean it is Not the D4T466 or the T444?
It’s a new language for me!
Thanks
Old 08-22-2020, 09:22 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by msfitz View Post
Thanks for the info.
She sent me a car fax and it says 6.0l 8.
It is in Nashville which would work doe me getting it. A lot has been done that I would need done, she is asking 14k, I would intend on less.
I will ask about the specific type of engine,
I really appreciate your taking the time to help.
Margaret
Move on and buy another bus. 6.0 is a turd and that price is RIDICULOUS.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 09:31 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
What he said.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 09:58 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Smile

Thanks! I appreciate it.
Old 08-22-2020, 10:22 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

That bus would be overpriced even at $4K. The 6.0 Ford/IH had some major problems (the GM gas version, however, is a fine engine).

The T444E was discontinued around 2003 and the 6.0 replaced it for emissions laws coming into effect around that time. The DT466 carried on for a couple more years, with emissions hardware added for legal compliance - much of this hardware was a nightmare (and very expensive) and IH discontinued it after a few more years.
Old 11-01-2021, 01:41 PM   #11

I think I considered the same bus! 😆 It came from Tennessee & is now in Maine… They had got it the entire thing and framed it and did the floors and the insulation looks like a new roof with AC unit and heating?? They are asking 14,900 for it… I too considered it seeing all of the work that they had done… having it already gutted and framed and the floor put down amongst other things is huge for me to not have to deal on my own. Time is precious!!

Can I ask…. Can anyone out there specifically suggest exactly what engine is a must for a conversion??

Thanks in advance!
Ccbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 01:53 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccbeau View Post
I think I considered the same bus! 😆 It came from Tennessee & is now in Maine… They had got it the entire thing and framed it and did the floors and the insulation looks like a new roof with AC unit and heating?? They are asking 14,900 for it… I too considered it seeing all of the work that they had done… having it already gutted and framed and the floor put down amongst other things is huge for me to not have to deal on my own. Time is precious!!

Can I ask…. Can anyone out there specifically suggest exactly what engine is a must for a conversion??

Thanks in advance!
depends who you ask. for me almost any engine is ok other than 2004+ Navistars I won't touch one of those.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 07:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccbeau View Post

Thanks in advance!
I think I’ve come across that bus as well. What made you decide against it?
HughSS is offline   Reply With Quote