Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2022, 10:35 PM   #41
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-N-Ruth View Post
The other real drawback of not having a toad is that if you do get stuck in the middle of nowhere and your cell phone doesn't have a signal, it may be a long walk to help.
Get yourself a HAM radio license. You can "self teach" the lowest license level in a week (in quotes because you'll simply memorize the answers) and then you can use radios far superior to CB's with the ability to hit repeaters as well as other stand alone radios. Plus your smart phone, offline, will tell you what repeaters are closest to you so yo can make a call independent of land lines and cell phones.
The 8 watt handheld sitting on my desk can be had for $40 a nicer antenna for more range for another $35. Or get a mobile radio with 50 watts and a good antenna for less than $300. 100 miles with the second type is not difficult depending on terrain.

We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 07:11 PM   #42
Almost There

Year: 1972
Coachwork: Superior Coach
Chassis: International Harvester 1603
Engine: International Harvester SV304
Fun post...

For the ALCAN trip in winter...

Deep lug mud/snow Goodyear tires on all four rears.

V-bar chains.

Biggest "trucker" tow strap I could find.

Hydraulic jack with a board to increase "footprint"...

Heavy bus and the mud tires got us into and back out of all the camp spots during 5 months of traveling. - October to February.

I was glad to have, and glad not to use all the other gear...
crowcreekcabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 09:44 PM   #43
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE200
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 27,500
When I was 20ish my buddy Howard and I managed to bury Farmall H up to it's rear axle in a wet spot in the woods. All we had to help was a Cub Loboy. We couldn't budge the H. Howard assured me his dad could get it out so we waited for him to get home.

His dad arrived looked at it for a few seconds then mumbled something to Howard. (Howard's dad always mumbled, I never knew what he was saying). Howard walked away and a few minutes later came back with block and tackle. Hooked one end to the rear of the H, the other end to a tree behind it and pulled on the loose end with the Loboy at a 90 degree angle. The Loboy was barely off idle and the H came out like it was on level ground. Yea . . . felt stupid! I'll never forget that for as long as I live. Block and tackle are invaluable if you're in-mudded.
Oldyeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 06:45 PM   #44
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas Bus
Chassis: Allison MD 3060
Engine: Catepillar 3126B 210hp/605 ft lb
Bonneville Salt Flats stuck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?

v=BSI1X6vEBUo
"]http://v=BSI1X6vEBUo"]
matthews2001 is offline   Reply With Quote