Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2013, 06:12 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Pancake Puppies

Do you like those "Pancake Puppies" Denny's sells? I found a couple of recipes online and made up a variation of them on Friday.

Denny's Red Velvet Puppies w/ Cream Cheese Icing

Denny’s Blueberry and White Chocolate Pancake Puppies

My version:
Cinnamon Sugar Pancake Puppies
Makes about 6 to 8 pancake puppies
This makes a small half batch... a nice small snack. It tastes like a very light cake donut hole. Much lighter than cake donuts but not airy like a yeast donut. A nice easy to make warm snack for a cold winter day.

In a medium pot, heat about 3 to 4 cups of vegetable oil to 350°F. Use a candy/deep fryer thermometer and do not go over the 350°F as it will cause the "puppies" to brown too quickly on the outside and still be undercooked on the interior. In a small to medium bowl, stir 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder, 1/4 teaspoon sugar into 1 cup Krusteaz pancake mix (the "just add water" type NOT Bizquik baking mix), mix until blended. Stir in 1/2 cup water and mix until blended. It will make a thick dough. Use a small cookie scoop to drop balls of batter into the hot oil. Turn when browned, cook until the other side is browned. Remove the puppies from the oil with tongs and drain on paper towels. Place in a paper bag with some cinnamon sugar, close bag and shake to coat puppies with cinnamon sugar. Enjoy while still warm.

I want to try this with some of the Martha White/White Lilly brand muffin mix (like blueberry or raspberry flavours). They are "just add water" mixes too.

https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:13 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DTA360
Rated Cap: 16
Re: Pancake Puppies

We've always used fridge biscuit dough, cut into quarters and deep fry... Then coat with cinnamon and sugar... I'll have to try this recipe...
dirtygoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtygoat
We've always used fridge biscuit dough, cut into quarters and deep fry... Then coat with cinnamon and sugar... I'll have to try this recipe...
So you like "Chinese Donuts"? I'm not kidding. Those donuts on the Chinese Buffets are simply CHEAP refrigerated "whomp'em-on-the-counter" biscuits that have been deep fried then rolled in sugar. One of my daughters worked as a hostess at a little Chinese Buffet we frequented in NC. Her friends do not believe her when she tells them how they are made until she cooks up a batch. Unfortunately she could not get the owner to share his recipe for Crab Rangoon. I loved his and have yet to find anyplace that made it as well as he did. I have tried so many recipes and something is missing. He was the only one in the restaurant who made them. No one was allowed to see what went into the filling.

I do like easy food. Sometimes easy & simple is best. Like Fried Chicken. Easy, simple and very basic but soooo good!
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:25 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Yup, love me some canned biscuit donut holes...

My dad showed me how to make them back in the 70s... It was a staple when I was growing up... My wife thought I was insane the first time she watched me make them, until she tried one and loved them... You should have seen her face the first time I showed her jiffypop...

I use that "just add water" pancake mix for my tempura batter, 1/2 cup pancake mix, 1/2 cup flour, an egg and water to get it pretty loose... I take any type of white fish fillet and cut it into hotdog size, dip them and fry them up... Throw them on a hotdog bun and cover with tartar sauce... I call them fishdogs, everyone that's had them can't get enough...

Also do a tighter batter/dough like your recipe but throw a can of tuna in it and fry up what we call "fish balls"... My kids love them with mayo/ketchup special sauce...
Old 01-21-2013, 08:40 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Or how about flour tortillas cut up, fried and toss in cinnamon and sugar??? That was always a favorite... My mom was the manager of a Taco Time in the 70s and that was their dessert item... For those that don't know, Taco Time has been in the NW for decades and is considered by most of us as the best taco fast food place ever...