Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-29-2020, 05:14 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rffffffff View Post
Where is that? I had code enforcement come and tell me it couldn’t be in my driveway because my driveway is gravel and it technically has to be paved. I’m gonna put four pavers down under each wheel so it’s on a paved surface and leave the rest gravel. These people are assholes to the highest degree.

small city in WV. mostly old people and people who think they are better then everyone else. can't do or have anything here.

BoggerBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 01:56 AM   #22
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by awilder View Post
Thank John, can I ask why you don’t think it would work? I used to street park a car in Brooklyn and it was a pain, that’s why I sold the car, but just because I’d have to move it, not because I couldn’t find spaces. I see this full size bus in my neighborhood, and there are several camper vans, some big Sprinters.
Is there something about a bus, even a short bus, that would make it harder? Someone suggested a van chassis would be easier to parallel park than a full size chassis.

I travelled and lived in an old van for two years, it wasn't stealthy by any means but it was non-descript. Good neighborhoods, bad neighborhoods, cities, towns, wilderness, we didn't get hassled by law enforcement or anyone else, I totally expected that we would, since it was an older van.

But as a general rule, I would say the more a vehicle stands out the more likely it is you will run into trouble (but that's just an assumption).

Most cities do have street parking size restrictions, normally in the range of 20-22L x 7W x 7H. In practice I would imagine that the length restriction is the only one enforced unless you park on a narrow street, BUT, width and height could be used as technicalities if someone is looking for a reason to ticket you or push you out of town.

I tended to use a similar strategy to John where I could (park in less dense parts of cities and use mass transit to explore) its easier to park, less stressful than driving, and easier to find a place to sleep. However when I couldn't do that I generally found I wasn't bothered (but a van and a bus aren't exactly 100% comparable).
dzl_ is offline   Reply With Quote