Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2017, 01:09 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Parking behind my house

Working on submitting a request to our neighborhood HOA ARB. Want approval to park an RV behind my house (mostly not visible from the street). Wondering what I can say to downplay the whole School bus thing and get approval in a way that they cannot fight me on in the future.

Looking for suggestions. Thanks!

dspizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 01:13 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspizzle View Post
Working on submitting a request to our neighborhood HOA ARB. Want approval to park an RV behind my house (mostly not visible from the street). Wondering what I can say to downplay the whole School bus thing and get approval in a way that they cannot fight me on in the future.

Tell them you are planning to paint it early in the reno. Just don't give them a date.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 01:16 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:

Only suggestion I can come up with is move to a non HOA.
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 01:18 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:

mosty HOA's have it written in the bylaws or deed restrictions as to whether and how any vehicle can be stored.. for instance in mine they say "any commercial vehicle" - so yeah the guy with the standard Transit-connect that says roto-rooter on the side.. then they also specify "any vehicle over 20 feet". cannot be parked IN THE STREET for more than 48 hours per 30 day period.. NO vehicles of any type can be parked in the yard.. (really? so technically a bicycle??)...

see the loophole? yep I can park a bus in my driveway.. as long as it doesnt violate the city-wide rule of sticking out into the pedestrian sidewalk..

reality is I see people's semi trucks and RV's sitting on the street for days at a time and no one says a word.. but read your HOA rules to the T.. typically the board members will always want the neighborhood to be pure-white-clean and bnot even a car in a driveway (all should be in garage in their eyes).. so they will bend the rules and just say "NO!" but you can read the rukes yourself and make your case..

also if you are going to put it behind the house, keep in mind the route you use to drive it there.. in my neighborhood the downspout and sump pump run-off pipes are shallow in the ground, driving a bus across the yard will crush and destroy those...
-Christopher

oh ESC
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 01:24 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
see the loophole? yep I can park a bus in my driveway.. as long as it doesnt violate the city-wide rule of sticking out into the pedestrian sidewalk..
I have definitely read the HOA rules. Just says it needs a slab to reside on. But the slab has to be approved by the ARB.

Already tried backing my bus to the spot to see how it fits and got it stuck. Luckily my neighbor was the one driving and came up with the idea in the first place. He also helped pull me out!

Just trying to get an approval from ARB before spending time prepping the ground and clearing some brush.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:34 PM   #6
Bus Geek

sounds like oiurs.. everything must go before the review board first...
Old 12-27-2017, 01:42 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
sounds like oiurs.. everything must go before the review board first...
So do you think I can say "Laying slab to park family RV"? Or could I say "Class A Motorhome".

Definitely don't want to say School Bus or the length if I don't have to.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:58 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
So do you think I can say "Laying slab to park family RV"? Or could I say "Class A Motorhome".

If they kick up a fuss, it will depend on the Title.

If RV's are allowed, then you will be fine if yours says "RV". It pays to be nice though, and ask them for suggestions on how to make it work.

Build Thread
Old 12-27-2017, 02:20 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:

in my opinion say it exactly like that... and "I havent yet bought an RV"

vehicles get dicey in many HOA's.. as they sometimes have a claus "all vehicles must be in working order with valid registrations.. vehicles cannot be parked with missing parts or flat tires. " so if you park your bus and are doing a roof-raise in the back yard it could raise some eyebrows..

being yours will be 90% out of street view is likely in your favor.. many of these rules in HOA's asre there and could be enforced strictly but generally arent unless a neighbor calls it in..

HOA rules are a double handled-sword. you can use them to your advantage too... if you get called out on something you can probably point out 15 other places with the same infraction.. while that doesnt stop them from enforcing on you.,. in many HOA's it is grounds for dismissal of board member or members..

sometimes what an HOA charter Lacks is music to the ears.. - like the year I was putting up christmas lights in early august... (I was entering one of those national TV show contests... lights had to be up by sept 1).. they tried to stop me. but couldnt... theres absolutely zero mention of holiday decorations in our charter... just like they dont forbid a vehicle in the driveway... or lacked to put it on there.. so when they try and give people crap.. they simply bging iup the "in the street" wording...

-Christopher
Old 12-27-2017, 02:32 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
in my opinion say it exactly like that... and "I havent yet bought an RV"

vehicles get dicey in many HOA's.. as they sometimes have a claus "all vehicles must be in working order with valid registrations.. vehicles cannot be parked with missing parts or flat tires. " so if you park your bus and are doing a roof-raise in the back yard it could raise some eyebrows..

being yours will be 90% out of street view is likely in your favor.. many of these rules in HOA's asre there and could be enforced strictly but generally arent unless a neighbor calls it in..

HOA rules are a double handled-sword. you can use them to your advantage too... if you get called out on something you can probably point out 15 other places with the same infraction.. while that doesnt stop them from enforcing on you.,. in many HOA's it is grounds for dismissal of board member or members..

sometimes what an HOA charter Lacks is music to the ears.. - like the year I was putting up christmas lights in early august... (I was entering one of those national TV show contests... lights had to be up by sept 1).. they tried to stop me. but couldnt... theres absolutely zero mention of holiday decorations in our charter... just like they dont forbid a vehicle in the driveway... or lacked to put it on there.. so when they try and give people crap.. they simply bging iup the "in the street" wording...

-Christopher
They vary.

I've seen HOA agreements where you are out of compliance if you leave your garage door open for longer than 15 minutes.

HOAs are simply another tier of government beloved by people who pretend that they don't like government.

The irony is not lost on me.

Build Thread
Old 12-27-2017, 02:38 PM   #11
Bus Geek

in a tightly built subdivision i kind of understand their purpose... ie if neighbors on either side of me decide they want to have cars up on blocks in their yards.. and I go to sell my house.. good luck.. ill likely be cost lots of $$... whereas in a spread out country neighborhood. people dont look at things affecting others' property values..

on the other hand dictating that you must build a WOODEN shed seems pointless... nope - arent allowed a vinyl or composite.. must be WOODEN.. countr-productuve?? for sure since that wooden shed will fall apart long before a vinyl or composite-cladded one.
-Christopher
Old 12-27-2017, 02:45 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I can confirm that. My bus parked in my driveway was untouchable, even though there were complaints. If the tags and insurance are current and it runs and has no flat tires, about all they can do is tell you someone is complaining. Someone was always complaining about my '62 Powerwagon, of all things. It was a complete original vehicle with no broken windows. I wouldn't sell it so apparently someone decided to make me get rid of it. I still have it, but the wife is gone.

Here's a little known fact. I spent so much time with the community enforcement officer concerning my yard and driveway that we actually became friends. He told me that nearly 70% of the complaints about people like myself came from that same person's spouse.
Old 12-27-2017, 02:52 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you all for the advise. I am confident that I will be legally within the rules. The only concern I have is the approval from the ARB. It seems like that is their safety net.

I actually appreciate the HOA. Just hope they see it my way in regards to it being hidden and not hurting anyones values.
Old 12-27-2017, 02:59 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
My personal take...

HOA = Hitlerian Overlords Association
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 03:32 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:

For me, it was a fight but once I took my title to city hall and showed them it was a "motorhome" they told me I could park by the standard RV guidelines.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:44 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
My dad is a real-estate agent. He says HOAs have more power than governments (and would never live in one). However, in the end, their only real action is a lean against your house until you comply. If you don't move, so what?

My mom lives in a neighborhood with one. Yea, wooden everything...
The 100-foot-long fence in her back yard fell over after 15 years, due to the poles rotting out at the bottom. I tore it all out and replaced the poles with metal ones, against the HOA policy. That was 20 years ago, and the fence is still standing strong. We never got "special permission". Generally, if the neighbors don't complain, nobody else cares. Ask your surrounding neighbors how they feel. If they are cool, just do it. If you ask the HOA first, they can tell you "no," and then that is just another hurtle to jump. Just do it, then make your solid arguments when they try to fight you on it. We had a snooty HOA board-member on our street who complained about everything he could (he could not see the metal poles in the back, though). A few years ago, they got "special permission" to put up a short metal fence in their front yard for their dog. We also would get our street repaved when the machines were in town. Ours did not need it, but the rest of the neighborhood did, yet got ignored.
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:27 AM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Gnome View Post
My dad is a real-estate agent. He says HOAs have more power than governments (and would never live in one). However, in the end, their only real action is a lean against your house until you comply. If you don't move, so what?

My mom lives in a neighborhood with one. Yea, wooden everything...
The 100-foot-long fence in her back yard fell over after 15 years, due to the poles rotting out at the bottom. I tore it all out and replaced the poles with metal ones, against the HOA policy. That was 20 years ago, and the fence is still standing strong. We never got "special permission". Generally, if the neighbors don't complain, nobody else cares. Ask your surrounding neighbors how they feel. If they are cool, just do it. If you ask the HOA first, they can tell you "no," and then that is just another hurtle to jump. Just do it, then make your solid arguments when they try to fight you on it. We had a snooty HOA board-member on our street who complained about everything he could (he could not see the metal poles in the back, though). A few years ago, they got "special permission" to put up a short metal fence in their front yard for their dog. We also would get our street repaved when the machines were in town. Ours did not need it, but the rest of the neighborhood did, yet got ignored.
I never thought about the actual consequences of not complying with the HOA. Its definitely gonna be gone by the time I sell the house! I was just concerned about spending money on slab and then not being allowed to park there. But I have been advised to used railroad ties instead. Maybe I won't request anything.

HMMM.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:46 AM   #18
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
I never thought about the actual consequences of not complying with the HOA. Its definitely gonna be gone by the time I sell the house! I was just concerned about spending money on slab and then not being allowed to park there. But I have been advised to used railroad ties instead. Maybe I won't request anything.

HMMM.

It's better to beg foregiveness than ask for permission.
unknown

John
Old 12-30-2017, 02:23 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Tell the HOA it is a dog house for a therapy dog.
ACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 09:27 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Now that's funny. Tell 'em its a st. bernard hence the need for a large dog house!
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote