Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2020, 09:09 AM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalFannie View Post
Nope. International 3000RE. Solid bus
Well that's why.

I've had 6 buses. and been in countless others. They most definitely have a buzz at idle. But I'm not a RE guy and most of my bus experience is in short CE's and some FE's. If you give them even 20rpm over idle they smooth right out.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 09:10 AM   #22
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
Install new motor mounts. They should just be pucks and easily swapped with a jack. I've changed a few that were splitting and the before and after were remarkable.

It sounds dumb, but being vibrated like that on a several hour road trip is exhausting for your muscles and joints.

As far as flexing is concerned, it's real. Drive one wheel up on a curb and hear the body creak in the process. Maybe not on a shorty, but a full sized bus will do it for sure.

Follow christopher's advice. Those seals leak and typically by the time you notice it, it's already a rusty mess that is super difficult to fix. I'd have to look at what you have in person to say for sure, but I would think you could cut that out, box around your unit with steel angle, weld it all tight, and be okay. But like I said, without being there, I'm not advising it.
My mounts are fine. Pretty sure Chris' bus does what I'm describing, too. I guess maybe I'm just more sensitive to the buzziness I'm trying to describe.
Old 05-13-2020, 04:56 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
so sitting at idle your bus doesn't "buzz" the mirrors, fenders, etc don't shake around?
That may be the tell tale sign. I removed all the mirrors temporarily. You are right about the fenders. They shake pretty good when I first crank her up but seems to smooth out a little bit at idle once I’ve gotten down the road. I guess I really can’t make a real good assessment yet. I have no tags yet because I have to get my new harness for my turn signals. I’m back out in the country, so I’ll drive it 5 or 6 miles occasionally. Can’t wait to go get it inspected and get my tags. If Talledaga happens in October, the plan is to ride her to Alabama.
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 05:18 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
that brace you show looks to be part of how the chassis and body mate.. the "flexing" is in fact real.. usually its body flex, however there is a rigid connection between body and chassis.. part of that mate is at the floor.. another part of that mate is where the front body wall meats the chassis.. the plastic glovebox and fusebox surround are part of the chassis.. that stuff can all go without issue. however what I see in the one pic looks to be where the strut from the body cowling is bolted to the chassis cowling.. thats a part you dont want to disconnect.. while I dont believe your bus would fall apart if you did , you might flex enough to cause the seal (already delicate) between body and chassis to leak.. and no caulking it wont fix it..

id have to see better more of the whole area and what you want to do with it.. im assuming you want to hang the heater , A/C from the sash so its up and out of the way? on the right side where the glovebox is now?

if you are installing a heat / cool unit, you could possibly build it with ducting to allow you to remover the right side door heat / defrost unit and replace it with this system.. kind of like I did my driver heater on the dev.. I retained defrosting and heating because I replaced it and didnt just tear it out.. just a thought..

-Christopher
Thanks Chris. I think I understand what you are saying about the “surround” on the glove box and fuse box. I took a few more pictures of that brace that is coming off of the right side. So that surround is part of the chassis? I can probably mount that unit underneath that surround. I was just looking to create more storage space under the unit.
Attached Thumbnails
BB208E92-6C72-431B-B35C-C26499F832DD.jpg   C742C55F-CBA2-467D-9166-C3013348F34A.jpg   9DC77731-0C82-41E7-B055-FA407C950CA2.jpg  
Old 05-13-2020, 05:21 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
Where'd you get that ac unit at btw?

The spare engine I bought a month ago has a york 210 compressor mounted on it, and I have half the notion to install it on the bus to have road going ac.
It came out of an ambulance that I got for a trade of some electrical work.
Old 05-13-2020, 05:22 PM   #26
Bus Nut

Quote:
My mounts are fine. Pretty sure Chris' bus does what I'm describing, too. I guess maybe I'm just more sensitive to the buzziness I'm trying to describe.
I’m always up for a buzz !!
Old 05-13-2020, 05:47 PM   #27
Bus Geek

I'd just proceed and see how it goes and go from there, man. Sure doesn't look too structural to me. Could always add something if it needs more "structure".
Old 05-13-2020, 07:53 PM   #28
Bus Nut

Quote:
I'd just proceed and see how it goes and go from there, man. Sure doesn't look too structural to me. Could always add something if it needs more "structure".
Yeah that's what I'm thinking CB. I'm so dang new to this bus thing, and there are so many of y'all here that's a whole lot smarter than me on how these things are put together. Sometimes you just have to jump in with both feet and see what happens. My son in law does that, then calls me and asks for help. Lol.
Old 05-19-2020, 03:24 PM   #29
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatman View Post
Sometimes you just have to jump in with both feet and see what happens. My son in law does that, then calls me and asks for help. Lol.
Haha! My son does that all the time and calls on me to bail him out. That's how I ended up with my bus, 95% gutted, for $1800! My ex-step-father did it too. That's how I ended up with the class A motor home I am using as a donor, for free!
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:10 PM   #30
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackE View Post
Haha! My son does that all the time and calls on me to bail him out. That's how I ended up with my bus, 95% gutted, for $1800! My ex-step-father did it too. That's how I ended up with the class A motor home I am using as a donor, for free!
Way to go JackE. Sounds like you made out like a bandit !!!
Old 05-19-2020, 07:18 PM   #31
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
My bus buzzes at idle, mirrors vibrating etc.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:48 PM   #32
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
My bus buzzes at idle, mirrors vibrating etc.
I’ve got to crank mine up tomorrow and check it out.