Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2021, 04:39 PM   #1

Partitioning the front of a skoolie?

I've seen a ton of videos and accounts of people doing skoolie conversions that put a whole lot of time, money, and effort into insulating their skoolie to make it as tight and energy efficient as possible, but then there's just this big space at the front of the skoolie with nothing at all.

Has anyone ever thought to make a partition that sections off the cab of the bus to the rest of the interior that would have its own front door? I know it's taking away a bit of room and giving you more work to do but it seems like it would be worth it in order to maintain that tight envelope you've gone through all the effort to already make. Is there something I'm not seeing? Why wouldn't this work? And if it would, why isn't it a thing that people do?

Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 05:12 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
I’ve seen it at least a couple times
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 07:39 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I did exactly that, starting here in my build thread. The wall is framed with flat bar and expanded steel sheet, and has 2" of XPS on the back side. I built my own door for it which is hinged so it opens forward into the cab. I added windows on each side of the door and one in the door itself, salvaged from emergency windows from a lower-ceiling bus (thanks @inhof009). This gives more light and ventilation to the living area, and I can still see out the back through the child safety mirror while driving.

I obviously think it's a perfectly sensible thing to do, not just for insulation (which is the primary reason I did it) but also because it provides the driver (me) with some protection from things flying around the living area in the event of an accident. I think the reason few people do it is that they want to include all available space in their living area, and they don't want their living area to be so isolated from the cab because they have passengers riding in the back while traveling.

Another side benefit is that I'll be able to lock the bulkhead wall door if I ever have to leave the bus at a mechanics' shop for any length of time.
Old 09-12-2021, 07:56 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
I think the partition is a good idea but with my tiny bus a permanent partition took up too much room so I went with a removable partition and use it to keep hot in or cold out or whatever. It snaps in place, the center zips for passage and it folds up for easy storage.
Jack

ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote