Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2020, 06:31 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Passenger seat seatbelt

Has anyone had any experience with dealing with the DMV about integrated seatbelt on the passenger seat? I thought seat belts had to bolt to the frame?

Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 07:43 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
No 'personal' experience, but integrated belts have been OEM for years.....so they must be legal. And seat frames with integrated belts are beefier than non-integrated, which makes sense.

And belts get bolted to the floor, not the frame.

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:36 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
No 'personal' experience, but integrated belts have been OEM for years.....so they must be legal. And seat frames with integrated belts are beefier than non-integrated, which makes sense.

People use "the frame" kind of loosely with buses. Sometimes they mean the chassis, which would be a big hell no for attaching a seat belt of course, but sometimes people mean the cross-members and stiffeners on the underside of the floor, which are a good idea to tie seat belts into (I'm not sure if that's a legal requirement though - the belt tethers on my bus were just bolted through the plywood and flat sheet metal with big fender washers on the underside).
Old 06-01-2020, 09:21 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post

I guess what I don't understand, is that integrated belt seats cannot replace seats on a class b or class c motor home. Would a bus be considered a class A motor home? I'm not replacing a passenger seat, I'm installing one. A little confusing.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:26 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
People use "the frame" kind of loosely with buses. Sometimes they mean the chassis, which would be a big hell no for attaching a seat belt of course, but sometimes people mean the cross-members and stiffeners on the underside of the floor, which are a good idea to tie seat belts into (I'm not sure if that's a legal requirement though - the belt tethers on my bus were just bolted through the plywood and flat sheet metal with big fender washers on the underside).
Yeah i was definitely using the " frame" comment a little loosely. The driver side belt is bolted to the floor and the shoulder harness is bloated to the wall just behind the drivers window. I'm just trying to avoid having to install a 3 point harness for the passenger ( aka wife's seat). I will check with the guy that does my inspections.