Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2010, 07:15 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Re: PEEING BLOOD .. (furkid)

Sorry to hear that. I hope your vet can postpone the inevitable for a few more years.

Ours is almost 12, and has a permanent limp from tendon damage. Maybe too many Frisbee gymnastics, or too long walks. We give her aspirin for pain twice a day. Now there's a chance of bone cancer. We have too many little graves already on the hill in the woods overlooking where the deer come (used to come?) to drink.

Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:14 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

We lost our last rescue dog a couple of years ago ($300+ bill). Vet went all out to try and save her (sudden internal hemorrhage, could not stop the bleeding... shocked her heart 3 times, gave her two syringes full of adrenaline, just like people ... we were with her the whole time). For those of you who camp with pets, Please before you make a trip, find the location of the vet hospitals. Since we had been staying in the area for a while off and on, we knew where the one was for our dog. I had to get her shots while in Cordele, so they had treated her.... we were 12 miles from the vet.

Since we always carried our pets with us, I knew to bring copies of their vet records. Shots records, medicines, contact info for vets (all of them since they were regular patients in both NC & TN). I kept all the dog's and cat's vet papers in a folder. You can usually just carry the copies of work that the vet gives you when you pay the bill. When you get your pets' shots, get the Bordetella vaccine (also called a kennel cough shot). Kennel cough in dogs is caused by a bacteria called Bordetella bronchiseptica. Many kennels will not allow a dog in that does not have it. It's just a good thing to add to the routine shots (every year). I have run into a couple instances where the vets also required it before allowing our dog to stay overnight. Many campgrounds want proof that your pets have had rabies vaccines.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...ient=firefox-a
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:14 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
Many campgrounds want proof that your pets have had rabies vaccines.
Good point. New York public campgrounds require ORIGINAL rabies vax certificates. It seems some cheap camper a while ago brought in a copy of a certificate that was actually doctored or forged, instead of getting the shots. I don't remember exactly what bad event with the dog exposed it. It was probably the dog nipped a kid, the hospital tried to confirm the vax with the vets, and when it was found to be a lie the kid needed shots. That ended the State accepting copies.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:52 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Perhaps you can get your vet to agree to a payment schedule like hospitals do.

I didn't have a "pet" I had a furkid. The last one was a borzoi/husky mix (Borzoi is a fancy word for Couch potato). David taught her to say "MOM" (I hated that). She picked "her" cat out at the animal shelter. And she hated green peas but loved green beans. She was not a dog (and you didn't call her one without out getting "the look"). None of our furkids were ever "normal". She really liked the RV. Meant she could lay in our bed (her favourite place) and look out the big rear window... sticking her tongue out at others.

Forgot to add to my post above.... Please microchip your pets!
Old 04-18-2010, 01:54 PM   #5
Bus Nut

I'm sorry to hear about your pups troubles. My cat and my three dogs are family members.
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:02 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Heh, I cook up homemade dog food for my dogs two or three times per week. It's healthy for them and I enjoy the fact that they get real meat in their diets, they sure enjoy it. It's easy enough to do shopping in the bargain bin at the meat counter when we grocery shop. I try to keep it at a dollar per dog per meal so they get pork shoulders, pigs feet, turkey necks and drumsticks, chicken and beef liver, chicken gizzards, beef kidneys and soup bones. Ham hocks are also pretty cheap to feed them. I watch for any type of meat that has price reduction stickers on it for a quick sale. It's quick and easy to boil it up for ten or fifteen minutes, let it cool and add it to their diet. I also mix in table some scraps with their dry food or boiled potato peels whatever I have that doesn't bother their digestion. Meat, vegetables, rice or gravy and broth work good, to many grains will give them diarrhea. I keep an eye on what they digest well and what they don't by noticing their stools when cleaning their pens. My dogs get fed once per day in the evening and they are sure fun to watch when they smell meat or see their old aluminum pot being walked from the house to the shop at feeding time.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:04 AM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtram
Engine: Navstar 190
Rated Cap: 77

I hope your family frined gets better.

I lost my little buddy about a month ago- he helped me build the bus He gave us 17 years of unconditional love- will be missed alot. He was one of the dogs that is perfect, I could go on and on, but I'd start crying again. He died in my arms, and his pain is over, mine isn't over his loss. He was my friend, and part of our family. Will be a long time before I can have another one- maybe not ever again.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:40 PM   #8
Bus Nut

NICE!!!
Old 04-19-2010, 11:17 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
Can I come eat with the dogs sometime? We pretty much share the same tastes
The dogs were fed cooked up chicken scraps, bones and broth poured over their dry food tonight. Be warned, they have issues.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:08 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Today's the big day!
Old 04-20-2010, 09:21 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Glad to hear she's home.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:07 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Glad it's over, at least the worst part.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:27 PM   #13
Bus Geek

I'm glad everything turned out okay. Of course Maggie will require lots of extra hugs and kisses. It speeds up the healing!
Old 04-22-2010, 08:35 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Let me get this straight - you went to the wrong vet, even thought it wasn't your intention, who treated you well and charged you minimally? I don't believe in these kinds of "accidents." More likely it was a favor asked for and secretly arranged.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:44 PM   #15
Skoolie

Year: 90
Coachwork: blue bird
Chassis: International
Engine: Navistar Straight 6 Turbo
Rated Cap: 65

WOW! strange that I would even put this out there. Here is my two cents worth. I agree with smitty, kindof. They are just animals.....but mine love me unconditionally. So I clean up after them, and take them to the vet every time they are stupid enough to eat the frickin dead salmon that swim up the river by my house for their final resting place. I have spent wayyyy more than $200 on them at times, but when I came home from the original gulf war, my bitch of an ex wife had run off with everything I owned, but the dog. That bitch was so happy to see me still alive she peed all over with joy, and I cleaned it up.

They are just animals, but I am just anti-social enough to prefer them to some of the asshole people I haul around on my transit bus everyday at work.

I would shovel **** for as long as it took, just my opinion guys and girls so i hope no one is offended.
in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain
newbusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 06:20 AM   #16
Bus Nut

sorry to hear about your furrkid.

as for the topic of how much $$$$ to put into keeping one going, it depends on the dog's current health and age. Our beloved sissy is 16. she's been an awesome dog and very low maintenance. but, she's 16. she's in good shape....for a 16 year old. if she develops some sort of condition that is going to cause a good deal of pain and suffering to her and my checking account, she'll get a nice shot instead and take a reallly long nap. i just wish we humans were treated to the same kind of merciful treatment when we reach that condition rather than propping us up in a bed with a few dozen tubes stuck in us to prolong our "life".
pete c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:24 PM   #17
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: ford
Engine: 406 Ford
Rated Cap: 25

Hell, looking at it, I think I'm posting more in regards to stuff other than actual bus conversion... even so, I think about this kind of thing often, being the hip and with it computer savvy person that I now am.
I really hate it when people hide behind the anonymity of their computers, spewing insults and other crap that they more and likely wouldn't do if they were eye to eye with the person or people they so easily spew upon via the comp.
bus-ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:00 PM   #18
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: ford
Engine: 406 Ford
Rated Cap: 25

Well, can't leave my statements unclear, and I know this will incur the wrath of Slowlane, but I'm in near full agreement with Emberglow, and I don't see how she stepped on anyone's toes. All I heard her say were her own opinions regarding obviously touchy subjects to some, with the reply of "you're wacked" by slowlane... drama, drama, I know. If you're so loved, slowlane, then why don't you just bask in that love, rather than spew venom over your feelings getting hurt by an opinion?
Just my thoughts on the matter...
Dog's don't subject themselves or others to this kind of melodramatic crap, as far as I know, which is just one other reason that I hear Emberglow's words, and count them to hold truth.
bus-ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:37 PM   #19
Skoolie

Year: 90
Coachwork: blue bird
Chassis: International
Engine: Navistar Straight 6 Turbo
Rated Cap: 65

I, for one, won't go easy on her.(Slowlane that is)

This whole thread was started because someone was lamenting the possibility that the companion they had for a long time might not be here much longer. Next thing you know, slowbrain is spewing racist crap! don't see it? check out the " * " reference.
Piss on her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane
You're being selfish telling others what they should do with their lives.
You can choose to be "put on ice", and show us how THAT'S done. I for one value my loved ones and choose not to off them like so many *.
Update: I see the posting i quoted is gone and a new in it's place. the posting i referenced was about white women killing their children
in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain
newbusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:40 PM   #20

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

Seriously, this thread is headed for a train wreck. I voted that it get closed or locked or what ever the hell they call it.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote