Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2022, 11:06 PM   #1

Question Photos of queen size beds oriented longways in skoolies.

Working on a build, and trying to think out my layout. Does anybody have photos of queen size beds going down the length of the bus? I only ever see people putting their beds across the width and in the back, essentially blocking it off. I'd like to see if you could reasonably have walkspace putting it in longways.

If anybody has photos of bedrooms in the front and livingrooms in the back as well I've been thinking of trying that too but haven't been able to find examples of it either.

Or if you've got something in your design that's just plain funky and wanna flex it let's see that too!

Gnarl E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 01:23 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarl E. Coyote View Post
Working on a build, and trying to think out my layout. Does anybody have photos of queen size beds going down the length of the bus? I only ever see people putting their beds across the width and in the back, essentially blocking it off. I'd like to see if you could reasonably have walkspace putting it in longways.

If anybody has photos of bedrooms in the front and livingrooms in the back as well I've been thinking of trying that too but haven't been able to find examples of it either.

Or if you've got something in your design that's just plain funky and wanna flex it let's see that too!

We will be putting in a queen on the centerline. I wouldn't call it "walk space" around the sides but you can get through even if centered. Our is centerline so that we can get to the sides and all corners when trying to make the darn thing. Those that go sideways have to crawl on the bed to make it. No biggie being on it, it's just a pain to make it well while you're also on it.
Ours will be in the back of our rear engine 40 footer and the side intakes for the engine bay are being modified to make it wide enough at the far back.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 01:42 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
What type of bus?

No photo yet of my build in that area but my queen sized bed runs lengthwise, not sideways, at the back of the bus right next to the handicapped lift (I didn't remove it).

My bus is a rareity, a six window shuttle bus with 16' clear behind the driver; most of these buses are five window and there simply isn't room to go lengthwise.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 02:38 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Our bed is a full not a queen, but this might give you an idea of how it'll fit in the space.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8898.jpg   IMG_8896.jpg   IMG_8909.jpg  
Old 03-30-2022, 03:43 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
We have a king size bed up front and folds up into 2 seven foot couches, garage in rear for motorcycles or anything else we want to put back there. Find my gallery and there are pics there of my build....sportyrick..
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 07:24 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Queen bed on a raised platform allowing for water tank and storage under. Centered would have only allowed 10” on each side, not what I could use as a walkway so offset and cutting down one wheel well created a usable walk on the wife’s side and I go in over the endClick image for larger version

Name:	B852335F-01F7-44AD-8F3B-F3288B294F24.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	64507
Old 03-30-2022, 07:48 PM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 2008
Chassis: 0908S
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 28' 9 window
Photos of queen size beds oriented longways in skoolies.

My queen is lengthwise with a bathroom next to it with water tank and storage under. It did not function well for me as I did not hinge the bed to get full access to storage. So I’d say if you do make some kind of hinge to lift the bed for access. I’m actually moving my bathroom and turning the queen sideways. You should be able to see pictures in my build thread
dwood443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 06:09 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Engine: DT530
Rated Cap: 84
Here is our queen bed. We are very happy with how it turned out. Click image for larger version

Name:	20220331_163001.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	64517Click image for larger version

Name:	20220331_162950.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	64518
Old 04-06-2022, 04:29 PM   #9

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Navistar
Chassis: 3800
Queen

We oriented ours along the centerline, and while we can squeeze (barely) around the sides to make the bed, unless you weigh less than 100 lbs it's not walk around.

Having said that, I still prefer this setup after about six months of full-time use.

Tim
TimT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 06:10 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International bluebird
Chassis: Type C
Engine: T444E 7.3 International 3800
Rated Cap: 72 numbskulls
Hello,love your build.Can I ask what are the rolls that are at the bottom of your windows?any info muchly appreciated...cheers!
(902) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 06:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimT View Post
We oriented ours along the centerline, and while we can squeeze (barely) around the sides to make the bed, unless you weigh less than 100 lbs it's not walk around.

Having said that, I still prefer this setup after about six months of full-time use.

Tim
Do you have a picture of your setup? And why is there a 100lb weight limit along the sides?
HectorLeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 06:35 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by (902) View Post
Hello,love your build.Can I ask what are the rolls that are at the bottom of your windows?any info muchly appreciated...cheers!

Thanks! They're insulated shades for the windows. A layer of polar fleece sandwiched between cotton on the inside and lined vinyl on the window side. They're attached at the bottom and using tension rods they unroll to whatever height you want, allowing some privacy but not blocking an open window. We lived in it full time for 2 years and they made a huge contribution to maintaining comfortable temps.
Old 04-06-2022, 06:58 PM   #13
Almost There

Year: 2000
Coachwork: AmTran RE
Chassis: Iternational
Engine: DT530E MD3060
Rated Cap: 80
Here's mine. I'm in the middle of working on it. Haven't finished the footboard side because I'm waiting to get the fresh water tank and don't want to have to work around all the wood frame. As you can see it is in the middle. There is not a lot of room on either side but neither me or my wife want to be crawling over each other. There will be minimum 12 inches of space on my side and 11 inches of space on my wife's side. Not a lot of room but how many times are you getting into bed? also, we can get in from the footboard side too. If you see in the pictures where I have framed to the sides of where the headboard will be I am including some built in nightstands for storage, electric etc.
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 07:03 PM   #14
Almost There

Year: 2000
Coachwork: AmTran RE
Chassis: Iternational
Engine: DT530E MD3060
Rated Cap: 80
it's sideways...
Attached Thumbnails
sk bed frame.jpg  
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 08:13 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 8 seats, 5 wheelchairs
length wise queen

don't know how to put pictures in this forum but I'll try and describe it. 28' flatnose wheelchair bus so there are no wheel humps. The queen bed is length wise over the rear axle with a 150 gallon water tank under it and it leaves plenty of room to walk between it and the outside wall to get to the full bath that's in the rear of the bus. A very small kitchen and living area are in the front of the bus.
1dmpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 09:24 AM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Chevrolet
Chassis: B-60 Short Bus
Engine: 6.7 liter Chevrolet
Rated Cap: 22,000 GVW
I am working on doing a longways queen murphy type bed for ours. I really want one that folds up against the side of the bus when not in use. I found some good photos of sorta what I want to do, but I think what they had was a full, not queen. Hope that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4644.jpg   IMG_4645.jpg  
FunkyChickenBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 09:20 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

What about a bed on a sliding platform. Push to the left and make up the right side. Push to the right and make up the left side.

I personally like the idea of a murphy bed. I have one as a guest bed in my house and like it.
rebapuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 10:00 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
We put our queen size bed on a slide--it slides out the side of the bus. Both of us can climb in and out of bed in the normal fashion with 16" of walk room between the bed and the kitchen counter. During the day the 4" thick mattress folds back on itself (4 panels) and provides a working/sitting area with the bed out of the way.
Jack

ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, beds, layout, queen, queen bed