Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2017, 10:11 AM   #1

Red face Picking Up the Bus

(I swear I saw the answers to these questions in a previous thread, but I can't for the life of me find them... so just redirect if you know where those thread are.)

We bid on a bus (2000 GMC Blue Bird) about 5 hours from us, 3 hours from where we will be parking it to convert. (Moving it from Illinois to Iowa)

1. How fast can you get a temporary tag? Do I really need one for a 3 hour trip or will a bill of sale be sufficient? Can I get those at the DMV same day?

2. Do I need to paint it before I drive it at all? Or can I just spray paint over the name real quick and paint the full bus later?

3. Are there any other documents/paperwork I should complete before-hand/take with me?

Yayy!!! This is really happening!!

brittamoriah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 11:07 AM   #2
Skoolie

Others may weigh in further, but my understanding is that most people just jump in the bus a drive it home. I have seen it said that almost never do folks have issues.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Old 03-04-2017, 11:34 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000FE
Engine: 5.9L Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 71
1. My first purchase, the district gave me a temp tag. Second go-round, they let me leave their plates on, and mail them back.
It's a school bus, no one is paying any attention to you! Heard many stories of driving hundreds of miles with NO PLATES.

2. Paint depends on where you title it. CO allows it to remain NSBY, but have to cover or remove 'School'.

3. Proof of some type of insurance, usually your existing policy is good enough.
If you are looking for insurance, try National General through Good Sam.

4. SAFETY!!!!!
If you are not familiar with air brakes, GET FAMILIAR with them, and how they work. YouTube has several driver training videos.

Take 10min. to ensure the safety of those you are sharing the road with!

Congratulations and good luck!
ColoradoCummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 11:52 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Good advice above ^ regarding safety.

The answers to your questions depend on what state you are in.

On all of mine I have gone to the local licensing place and paid $30 for a trip permit and posted it in the back window. (Washington State)

My auto insurance extends to new purchases for 14 days. I would suggest that you check with your insurance agent and see if you have similar coverage.

I agree with those that said something like: "yellow school buses are generally ignored" but I do not take this as an invitation to stretch the rules too far. I think that some form of temporary registration, purchase documents and insurance are necessary for the trip home.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 11:55 AM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: Caterpillar 3116
Rated Cap: 78?
as long as you have a freshly signed title/sale record its ok to drive it home, thats what I've always done and never had a problem, but then again never been pulled over either.
Scott Marcano is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
move, paperwork, pick up, tag, temporary