Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2013, 06:51 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
"Places Visited" Maps

I was reading a thread on those "Places Visited" maps. I dislike those maps with all the states/provinces they've visited displayed on RVs. I think the maps signal to thieves "Look, we got big bucks to travel a lot and we probably got lots of expensive toys inside.... ROB ME!"

Maybe I'm a tad paranoid, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong. I think a nice alternative would be to take pictures of a state/province you have visited (like NM). Then make a collage of the various images and place an overlay (like a mat) with a cutout in the shape of the state the images are from. You could either do this in a picture frame, one of those poster frames (of what ever size you want) or even set up a scrapbook type format and include a trip diary with it. I think this would be a more interesting alternative and you could even do a state in other years by adding a date/title to the shape. I think this may be a good route to go and turn our pictures of NM into a collage using my old Printmaster Platinum to put the pictures together then print out in the State shape.

Just thinking out loud... kinda.

A simple search on the internet should yield several sources for royalty free clip art

Free US map outline

Being more specific like "Free Clip art: NM" will yield more selective results. Be careful of these clip art sites. You can easily pick up a nasty adware/malware downloading from them. Then I simply find an image I like, then copy/paste into Printmaster.

https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:04 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Re: "Places Visited" Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
I was reading a thread on those "Places Visited" maps. I dislike those maps with all the states/provinces they've visited displayed on RVs. I think the maps signal to thieves "Look, we got big bucks to travel a lot and we probably got lots of expensive toys inside.... ROB ME!"

Maybe I'm a tad paranoid, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong. I think a nice alternative would be to take pictures of a state/province you have visited (like NM). Then make a collage of the various images and place an overlay (like a mat) with a cutout in the shape of the state the images are from. You could either do this in a picture frame, one of those poster frames (of what ever size you want) or even set up a scrapbook type format and include a trip diary with it. I think this would be a more interesting alternative and you could even do a state in other years by adding a date/title to the shape. I think this may be a good route to go and turn our pictures of NM into a collage using my old Printmaster Platinum to put the pictures together then print out in the State shape.

Just thinking out loud... kinda.

A simple search on the internet should yield several sources for royalty free clip art

Free US map outline

Being more specific like "Free Clip art: NM" will yield more selective results. Be careful of these clip art sites. You can easily pick up a nasty adware/malware downloading from them. Then I simply find an image I like, then copy/paste into Printmaster.
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:06 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Retarded phone...will edit in morning...I agree Lorna...I will share my "idea" in the a.m. at work
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:14 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72

what we try to do is get a magnet of each province or state we that we stay in and place them inside the bus. We have to spend at least one night in each place to get a magnet.
Just our way of reminding us of our travells

gbstewart
Old 01-31-2013, 10:22 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennC
I made a clear acrylic table top cover for our dinette in the bus that we can lift up to put in souvenirs of and pictures from our travels...
Nice idea. I like the money under the glass. The only table we have is a small vintage rock maple end table and the 1/4" thick tempered glass top weighs a ton. Too heavy to lift very often! It's a pita to clean the dust & debris that accumulates under the glass. I'm going to turn it into a faux antiqued mirror so I don't have to clean it so often. Acrylic would be soooo much lighter!

Who's got more ideas? I know we have more imagination than a map sticker!
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:17 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.

Since a lot of us seem to like to play on the internet, I like to use available tools. I like to play with Google maps, there are some really cool things. This isn't places visited, but I did this page for our square dance club. http://squaredance.x10.mx/areaclubs.html
It's really quite easy using a spreadsheet for the info, then google writes the code for you.
I just haven't had time to do something for my travel site. I think that you can even add pictures, I just haven't looked into it much yet.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote