Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2020, 10:04 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
PNW roof raise help wanted

Do you live in the Pacific northwest? Have you ever raised the roof on a skoolie before? Do you have pitty for 2 lost builders?

We'd like to talk with you! We are raising the roof on a 1990 Bluebird. It seems we have so many questions which are so elementary that they're hard to find the answers to.

-How do you for the doors once your roof is raised? Re frame them? Or scrap them and fabricate new ones?
-Can we raise the roof above the window frames instead of cutting through them? We've not seen that approach and assume there is a reason people generally go for the middle of the window.
- Have you done this before? Would you be interested in consultant work? DO YOU WANT to look at our project and help us plan it for CASH or trade?
-Is this totally inappropriate and I should just keep searching? (I'll gladly remove this post if so)

We are very thankful to you if you're still reading. Any information us helpful. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
20201010_181658~5.jpg  

buslifeyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 02:43 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
I am not in the PNW ... but those that are might need to know the following ...

Are you gutting the walls and ceiling? The picture you posted shows them as in place. To raise a roof, you will need access to the walls at least. You will also need a place on the ceiling to lift the roof.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 01:59 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
I am not in the PNW ... but those that are might need to know the following ...

Are you gutting the walls and ceiling? The picture you posted shows them as in place. To raise a roof, you will need access to the walls at least. You will also need a place on the ceiling to lift the roof.
Ah! Thank you. It is totally gutted. Here is a better pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_2020-10-20-11-55-12~2.png  
buslifeyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 03:12 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Everyone extends the window area as its easier to cut and patch up the walls there and if going to this trouble you would replace the leaky school bus windows anyway.
The one exception is the 3ft raise someone here posted an update on recently. He kept the windows and raised it below the windows. While 3ft is crazy, I liked the result of the windows still there but up high, lots of light in and not blocked by countertops, etc.

My advise is be safe however you do it, have backup supports if you work under the roof in case the primary support fails and the roof falls down it won't kill you. It is very heavy.
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
help wanted, roof raise, seeking skoolie experts