Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2017, 06:38 AM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Poppy Day

Today is Remembrance Day, aka Poppy Day.
To all our ancestors and forefathers who gave their lives in war, we thank you and remember your sacrifice!

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 07:51 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Today is Remembrance Day, aka Poppy Day.
To all our ancestors and forefathers who gave their lives in war, we thank you and remember your sacrifice!

Well said, my friend!

I'm especially proud of you for not alluding to the Wizard of Oz or narcotics... [emoji111]
Old 11-11-2017, 08:14 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
To all my fellow Veterans from all conflict zones and times...

Welcome Home.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 08:26 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
To all my fellow Veterans from all conflict zones and times...

Welcome Home.
Agreed, come home safe.

To all y'all, & Tango too, thank you for your service to our country!!!
Old 11-11-2017, 06:44 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: Still dreaming about a bus
As a 27 year veteran of the US Coast Guard, I thank you for your thoughts.

Belated Happy 242nd Birthday to the US Marines Corps.
Lamacose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 09:11 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Since it was originally meant to remember those lost in WW1, I thought I'd share a really great series I've followed on YouTube that does week by week coverage of the Great War.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheGreatWar

Old 11-11-2017, 10:28 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Since it was originally meant to remember those lost in WW1, I thought I'd share a really great series I've followed on YouTube that does week by week coverage of the Great War.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheGreatWar

The Great War was also known as "the war to end all wars".

Pity that didn't work out.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:08 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rant to Follow Warning

Sadly, I'm afraid that the only "the war to end all wars" will be the one that wipes out all of humankind.

We just never seem to learn.

When I was a kid...

there were still a lot of Civil War veterans alive...

My father was a WWI vet.

My friends dads were in WWII...

Then there was Korea...Viet Nam...Bay of Pigs...Granada...Panama...Bosnia and Herzegovina...Somalia...Iraq...Afghanistan (still going after what...16 years?) and hundreds of less noticed military actions around the globe.

None of which were "Wars" authorized by Congress. Tell that to all the dead. I continually have to remind people that..."there was never a war in Viet Nam and consequently, there is no such thing as a Viet Nam War Memorial".

The "Wall" is brilliant and to my mind possibly the finest expression of respect to those who ever died in military conflict. But it is also very important to remember that those 50,000+ men & women did NOT die in a war. Nor has any American since. Most have died to uphold the value of corporate stock.

And we had been warned of just such a future by the five-star general who won the war in Europe and went on to become president. When he retired from office he left us with this...

"This conjunction of an immense military establishment and a large arms industry is new in the American experience. The total influence—economic, political, even spiritual—is felt in every city, every statehouse, every office of the federal government. We recognize the imperative need for this development. Yet we must not fail to comprehend its grave implications. Our toil, resources and livelihood are all involved; so is the very structure of our society. In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military–industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists, and will persist. We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals so that security and liberty may prosper together."

Dwight D. Eisenhower
Farewell Address to the Nation on January 17, 1961

End of Rant.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:54 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Rant to Follow Warning

Sadly, I'm afraid that the only "the war to end all wars" will be the one that wipes out all of humankind.

When I was a kid...

My father was a WWI vet.

Then there was Korea...Viet Nam...Bay of Pigs...Granada...Panama...Bosnia and Herzegovina...Somalia...Iraq...Afghanistan (still going after what...16 years?) and hundreds of less noticed military actions around the globe.

None of which were "Wars" authorized by Congress. Tell that to all the dead. I continually have to remind people that..."there was never a war in Viet Nam and consequently, there is no such thing as a Viet Nam War Memorial".

The "Wall" is brilliant and to my mind possibly the finest expression of respect to those who ever died in military conflict. But it is also very important to remember that those 50,000+ men & women did NOT die in a war. Nor has any American since. Most have died to uphold the value of corporate stock.

And we had been warned of just such a future by the five-star general who won the war in Europe and went on to become president. When he retired from office he left us with this...

"This conjunction of an immense military establishment and a large arms industry is new in the American experience. The total influence—economic, political, even spiritual—is felt in every city, every statehouse, every office of the federal government. We recognize the imperative need for this development. Yet we must not fail to comprehend its grave implications. Our toil, resources and livelihood are all involved; so is the very structure of our society. In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military–industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists, and will persist. We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals so that security and liberty may prosper together."

Dwight D. Eisenhower

End of Rant.
Very.Well.Put

The United States is declining as an economic power, but growing as a military power. It is not a great combination.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 10:05 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Chassis: GMC or Chevrolet, I hope
Engine: gasser probably
My love and compassion to all past and present soldiers of the world.

My humble 2 cents.

Sent from my Life One X using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2017, 10:40 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Rant to Follow Warning

When I was a kid...

My father was a WWI vet.

Dwight D. Eisenhower

End of Rant.
I don't see that as a rant, Tango. You've just said the truth, and I totally agree with everything you stated. VERY WELL SAID, SIR.