Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2020, 09:21 AM   #41
Bus Nut

It sounds like a good idea but; I have problems with people ignoring our storage agreement and trying to live in their vehicle.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 10:14 AM   #42
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
It sounds like a good idea but; I have problems with people ignoring our storage agreement and trying to live in their vehicle.
Send them my way..
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 05:52 PM   #43
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Oh man..... I am sorry. You cannot stay...... Pets are required..
In that case, I'll get both a dog and a cat, so I can be friends with everyone in the composting toilet thread that seems to have ballooned overnight.
Marceps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 03:52 PM   #44

Year: 1985
Chassis: GMC Vandura
Engine: 5.7 Chevy 350
Rated Cap: 9,600
Totally interested

Great idea, I’d love to rent space on a month to month agreement, as I move around a lot. Currently in Los Angeles
bobsharits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 04:49 PM   #45
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird, Collins
Chassis: G30 Bluebird Microbird, E350 Shuttle Bus
Engine: 1995 Chevrolet 350, 1992 Ford 460
I like the residential Bus conversion commons idea. I’d like to rent space month to month also if constructive and sometimes noisy activities are not only allowed but encouraged. I’m obstructive but considerate and only make noise in working hours and would hope others would respect quiet hours.
It seems to me any kind of resistive space heating or water heating might overload a generator and solar?. Depending on the size of the generator and solar. I have a solar trailer. Can you consider a price break for those who supply all their own power?.
Thanks
Doktari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 04:57 PM   #46
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: Cummins ISC 260HP/660Q/MD3060 6spd
Rated Cap: 81
This could be a good place to help people who might get discouraged and quit before finishing the build. With a small group of people around there would be help, encouragement and other resources.
I second the idea it needs to be somewhat close to a hardware store/Walmart or other possibilities for part time work; otherwise you’ll have a high turnover and might not be able to keep enough tenants.

I might like to come visit for a week and help people on their builds.
Bon Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 04:59 PM   #47
Mini-Skoolie

Www.gsaauctions.gov look under firefighting gear, 5000 gallon water truck.
rtdillon1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 06:42 PM   #48
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
I have not pinned that down yet. I was contemplating something around $250 a month.

I talked to the county building department today and found out that I must install a septic system before I can make any other improvements. I will be getting an estimate on that next week.

I am also looking at a water truck. That would simplify the water supply. I think that the one that I am going to look at holds 3500 gallons. That should last for about a month with reasonable conservation. I you should stumble across a good buy on an older water truck please ping me.

What's the wind like there? I live in the desert in Mohave County AZ and the wind in my area is too frequent, strong/variable for me to want to do a roof raise outdoors. Nothing to slow down the wind, class c exposure, llike the ocean.

Septic installs ballpark around $3k-$5k, depending on size and type which depends on perc test, boundrys (property lines and hydology), and # of people/fixtures/ bedrooms. If you haven't bought it yet definately inquire about the perc test and maybe get quotes on septic install. You may not even be able to install septic or have to use a more expensive alternate system. There is a lot to maintaining a septic system, especially if people (your guests/customers) are treating it like a city sewer. You cant dump grease or anything that doesn't biodegrade easily into it or anything that will kill off the critters (bleach, antibiotics, etc) that do the biodegrading.

You will need a good fence around it to control the cows, else they well be using your structures for shelter, your yard for a toilet, and anything sturdy enough to rub on, the weaker stuff will just get pushed over. A 6' chainlink is best but expensive. If you want to keep out the rattlers (deal breaker for a lot of people) you will need .25" x 3' hardware cloth all around, 2' above ground and 1' buried. Most people just keep a lot of dogs/cats around the house to scare the snakes off, but you may lose one every now and then and someone has to feed/water/take care of them.

Is that local well potable? The closest public well to my place is not (too much arsenic, but some people dilute it and drink it), $.01/ gallon if you haul, $.08/ gallon delivered (prices vary depending on who is delivering and quantity delivered), so I use bottled water ($0.10/ 16 oz bottle, I save the empty bottles to plant seedlings) for cooking and drinking. Potable water is available to me but it is much further to haul.

Well water is used for toilet, showers, laundry, and dish washing (I use paper plates and Windex and paper towels for light dish/hand washing) I average about 30-35 gal/day for 1 person. A lot of people out here use 5-10 gal/day or less and don't take long showers like me (I'm on the grid and have a electric water heater, most people don't - generators and propane are very expensive if you don't curb your city ways) Yellow toilet water is common both to avoid hauling water and saturating the septic drainage, lot of clay here and soil doesn't drain well. For on demand water, you will have to have electric available for pumps or have the tanks mounted up high to be usable. I use electric but I am on the grid. Handy, but, if the grid goes down I have no water and you can ruin an expensive pump if you let the tank go dry.

Most people/me use a 500 gal tank (some use 225+ gal cubed ibc totes?) on a truck or trailer with a gas powered pump to transfer to their holding tanks. That water truck + fuel, maintenance, registration, insurance makes sense if you have someone to operate it, if not, I would just hire a local hauler and get a good quantity price unless you are going to move there and do water haul and maintenance yourself. Might get away without reg and insurance since you are so close to the well. And then there is maintenance.

Don't know how much you are thinking about spending on a water truck, but I would use the money to build a metal building/quonset hut big enough to do roof raises and allow work to continue even when there is snow or too much sun, or doing stuff like welding. A place on the grid would be better for welding and using multiple power tools at once.

You may have to take care of your own trash/garbage disposal. In some areas there are some fairly expensive services available.

Not trying to discourage you. it is just different. My point is, it is not as simple as just buying some cheap land and doing whatever you want. I was told by the county admin that the reason that they ammended the laws to require septic for RVs was to stop squaters. They needed a reason to be able to kick them off of the land even if no one complained about them. No septic permit on file, no RV allowed, period. BLM land is different and more than half of the land is fed/state/indian land.

Then there are the thieves and some of the locals are not that friendly to "outsiders"................... and the law, fire department, or medics are not just a few minutes away although you can count on building and zoning to show up if someone complains.
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 07:20 PM   #49
Bus Geek

I moved here from Bullhead. Not much wind there. After keeping track for a couple of years I found the wind to be very predictable. It only blew on days that ended in"y".

The water is potable.

Septic costs vary considerably depending on soil conditions. I spent about $3500 on a septic system that I installed in Bullhead. I looked at another parcel for sale up near Oatman. It would have required a mound system costing $20k plus.

The last place that we lived where we hauled water we used 275&325 gallon IBC totes. For the amount of water that we would need to support more than just the two of us I think that a water truck would be easier.

Not worried about the cows.

I have developed a number of properties for various uses over the last 30 years. This is not my first rodeo. Thanks for your concern.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:25 PM   #50
Bus Geek

I am still waiting on details on the septic requirements. If we can get by with a gravity system we should be OK. If an LPD or other alternative system is called for it may be too expensive.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:29 PM   #51
Bus Geek

Regarding the water pressure pump, it will run from solar & generator just like everything else.

I have lived off grid for a number of years and have a reasonable understanding of what it takes.

Thanks again.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:07 PM   #52
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Regarding the water pressure pump, it will run from solar & generator just like everything else.

I have lived off grid for a number of years and have a reasonable understanding of what it takes.

Thanks again.

Sorry, thought that you lived in Washington.

Some of the info might be interesting to your customers and would still be valid points to consider when planning for your customers such as septic use.

I've been on I40/Route 66 enough times during during the years to know that snow is not uncommon in the winter. I would like a building if it was me.

Is the land in exposure c?
Old 01-08-2020, 08:11 PM   #53
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnw_steve View Post
i moved here from bullhead. Not much wind there. After keeping track for a couple of years i found the wind to be very predictable. It only blew on days that ended in"y".

lol..........
Old 01-08-2020, 08:14 PM   #54
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktari View Post
I like the residential Bus conversion commons idea. I’d like to rent space month to month also if constructive and sometimes noisy activities are not only allowed but encouraged. I’m obstructive but considerate and only make noise in working hours and would hope others would respect quiet hours.
It seems to me any kind of resistive space heating or water heating might overload a generator and solar?. Depending on the size of the generator and solar. I have a solar trailer. Can you consider a price break for those who supply all their own power?.
Thanks
Definitely. We were kicking around various ideas today and the idea of reducing the space rent and metering power. I think that may by fair for folks who use little or none of the shared power.

Keep in mind that there will be quiet hours when generators and other noise makers would not be welcome.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:18 PM   #55
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidharris View Post
Sorry, thought that you lived in Washington.

I've been on I40/Route 66 enough times during during the years to know that snow is not uncommon in the winter. I would like a building if it was me.

Is the land in exposure c?
I do love in Washington again... I lived in Bullhead for almost eight years before coming back to Washington.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:36 PM   #56
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchtech View Post
About 15 or 20 years ago I remember some Silicon Valley-based outfit trying to start a chain of community shops, where the owner would outfit the property with tools, particularly big and/or expensive tools that a person might not want to buy for a single use or for short term usage.

I don't know what happened to that operation I don't hear anything about it anymore, but it's an idea that has been bouncing around in my head.

I currently have a lathe, a milling machine some large air compressors, an industrial strength pressure washer, and a commercial sewing machine that I could put to work in such an operation.

I am thinking western Colorado is particularly fertile ground for a libertarian oriented community shop. Who knows, one might even be able to put on seminars on subjects like TIG welding, manual machining with lathe and mill, and rebuilding the caterpillar C7 that could draw in locals and folks from all over the country looking for a three day educational get away.

Look up maker spaces, there places all over the country

this may be the one you are thinking of

https://urbanworkshop.net/membership-packages/
Old 01-08-2020, 08:45 PM   #57
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchtech View Post
I am thinking western Colorado is particularly fertile ground for a libertarian oriented community shop. Who knows, one might even be able to put on seminars on subjects like TIG welding, manual machining with lathe and mill, and rebuilding the caterpillar C7 that could draw in locals and folks from all over the country looking for a three day educational get away.

I'm not sure what "libertarian oriented" means to you.

If you like California politics you will probably love Colorado.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:49 PM   #58
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
I'm not sure what "libertarian oriented" means to you.

If you like California politics you will probably love Colorado.

Agreed. Might wanna jump on over to Idaho or Wyoming for a more libertarian mindset.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:58 PM   #59
Bus Geek

Quote:
Look up maker spaces, there places all over the country

this may be the one you are thinking of

https://urbanworkshop.net/membership-packages/
Sour subject for me

We moved to the West side and I joined the makerspace in Everett. The place and people were AWESOME. I had access to a range of welding equipment and plasma cutters and people willing to teach.

CNC wood routers up to 4'x8' bed.

CNC laser engraver/cutter machines up to 4x8. The biggest one was still under construction when I left.

A variety of 3D printers.

A "brake" for bending plastic.

A ton of other tools and equipment.

What really made it rock were the members who were proficient in any aspect of the machines and the software used for design and production that put on classes for the rest of us.

I moved back to Dayton two years ago and I still miss that place.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:33 PM   #60
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Steve, you ever think of a business? You might be able to not only rent out space for builders, but get folks ready to sell their skills as well. Get some networking going on.

Nothing to stop people who don't want to spend money on labor, they could trade labor or goods, or just ad-hoc collaborate.

Your plan sounds like an overall great idea.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote