Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2020, 09:53 PM   #61
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazetsukai View Post
Steve, you ever think of a business? You might be able to not only rent out space for builders, but get folks ready to sell their skills as well. Get some networking going on.

Nothing to stop people who don't want to spend money on labor, they could trade labor or goods, or just ad-hoc collaborate.

Your plan sounds like an overall great idea.
Absolutely.

Both "co-op" and hired help. If I have folks with the "help me and I'll help you" attitude I would encourage that. I would also encourage local tradesman to come out and offer their services.

I had originally thought about offering my own labor and limited skills for a fee but unless my body starts behaving better that may not be viable. I get in trouble when I forget that I am not 30 anymore.

PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:58 PM   #62
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I had originally thought about offering my own labor and limited skills for a fee but unless my body starts behaving better that may not be viable. I get in trouble when I forget that I am not 30 anymore.
I'm in my 30s... just sayin'. I've been thinking of whether I could put some of the skills I've learned to use building my skoolie, just sayin'.

In all seriousness, it'd be a year before I could even think about it... but I have been thinking about something like that. I will be doing some self-searching after we transition to the bus in spring.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:37 PM   #63
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtrans
Engine: 444E
Rated Cap: 84 pas
Quote:
I am still trying to come up with a fair price structure.

What do you think of metered utilities with a certain amount of usage included in the monthly charge and use beyond that billed by the usage that exceeds the base?
Why a water truck? If you are going to do septic a well can be drilled for about seven thousand. No truck to purchase, maintain, and fuel for the monthly water loads.
Rock-N-Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:54 PM   #64
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtdillon1960 View Post
Www.gsaauctions.gov look under firefighting gear, 5000 gallon water truck.

Steve, if you are thinking about a semi water truck, need someone to drive it, I have a current CDL with 2.5 million miles of experience up to a 38 wheeler oversized semi. Always happy to help!

M
Old 01-09-2020, 12:25 AM   #65
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird, Collins
Chassis: G30 Bluebird Microbird, E350 Shuttle Bus
Engine: 1995 Chevrolet 350, 1992 Ford 460
Here in Washington I visited a “coop” for woodworkers who were all “independent contractors” but shared a shop space and some tools. I think it was called Woodworkers Network IIRC. The concept might be expanded
Shipping containers are being used for lockable solutions in a lot of applications these days. There are portable solar energy systems built on shipping containers. Tool storage, generator housing, etc. Ive even seen some that looked similar to a shipping container but were full of water.
Doktari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 03:23 AM   #66
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-N-Ruth View Post
Why a water truck? If you are going to do septic a well can be drilled for about seven thousand. No truck to purchase, maintain, and fuel for the monthly water loads.

Water must be pretty shallow where you live. Where I live it is about 1200 feet and a well costs closer to 30k.... if you hit water or not. 10 miles away on BLM land there are places where it is only 80 feet. go figure. There are fairly large areas where the water is 700-900 feet, 25k for a well. At least that is what the real estate agents tout.

Around here if you see trees around a house, they have a well, every one else is doing water haul. There are some small co-op wells, mostly in the small communities with houses clumped together so they can run piping. Usually something like $80/mo for less than x amount and x amt/gallon over that. Still not cheap and costs are shared when something goes wrong. Some times ranchers share a well. Also the gov gets involved if you have a well.

My water only costs about $10 a month plus fuel, time, & system installation and maintenance costs. Wells also have maintenance costs. Over all, unless you use a lot of water it is much cheaper to haul. It would take me over a hundred years to re-coup my drilling costs even if I could afford a $30k outlay. plus solar to run the pump.
kidharris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:27 AM   #67
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidharris View Post
Water must be pretty shallow where you live. Where I live it is about 1200 feet and a well costs closer to 30k.... if you hit water or not. 10 miles away on BLM land there are places where it is only 80 feet. go figure. There are fairly large areas where the water is 700-900 feet, 25k for a well. At least that is what the real estate agents tout.

Around here if you see trees around a house, they have a well, every one else is doing water haul. There are some small co-op wells, mostly in the small communities with houses clumped together so they can run piping. Usually something like $80/mo for less than x amount and x amt/gallon over that. Still not cheap and costs are shared when something goes wrong. Some times ranchers share a well. Also the gov gets involved if you have a well.

My water only costs about $10 a month plus fuel, time, & system installation and maintenance costs. Wells also have maintenance costs. Over all, unless you use a lot of water it is much cheaper to haul. It would take me over a hundred years to re-coup my drilling costs even if I could afford a $30k outlay. plus solar to run the pump.
I spoke with a well drilling outfit and was told that other Wells in the area range from 300'-600'. Cost estimate was $20k-$50k
Old 01-09-2020, 10:30 AM   #68
Bus Geek

Looks like the septic guy is not going to make it out until the first part of next week.
Old 01-16-2023, 09:54 AM   #69
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Hey Everyone,

Earlier this year I bought a house with plenty of bus parking in a community that is tolerant of Skoolie work in the yard. I had hoped to rent it to a fellow Skoolie. It didn't work out. I didn't have any solid response so I rented it to a local.

I am thinking about another project.

I found a piece of land about 20 minutes from Sanders AZ. It has about 10 acres of relatively flat ground. I would install solar, generator, workshop building with a restroom and a water tank.

As you can see, it is really not grid. Solar/generator for power and hauled water. There is a community well about a mile away for filling thanks.

The property is at over 5000 ft elevation and enjoys a moderate climate.

Off the top of my head, I think that I could support 4-6 Skoolie at a time.

With as many folks as I have seen that have trouble finding a place to work on their buses or have had weather that slows them down, I think that a place like this would be beneficial.

What do you all think?

Anyone want to get on the wait list?
Hello…I’m looking for such a spot to build…are you up and running yet?
Jeff2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 12:47 PM   #70
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtrans
Engine: 444E
Rated Cap: 84 pas
Byog

Quote:
I am still trying to come up with a fair price structure.

What do you think of metered utilities with a certain amount of usage included in the monthly charge and use beyond that billed by the usage that exceeds the base?
Ruth and I do boondocking and building here in Deming New Mexico. We've had a couple of guys do roof raises here.

For power we offered a small solar setup that was capable of running a mini fridge and keeping their tool batteries charged. For the big stuff like running a welder we are Bring Your Own Generator. Seems to work well.
Rock-N-Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 09:33 AM   #71
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-N-Ruth View Post
Ruth and I do boondocking and building here in Deming New Mexico. We've had a couple of guys do roof raises here.

For power we offered a small solar setup that was capable of running a mini fridge and keeping their tool batteries charged. For the big stuff like running a welder we are Bring Your Own Generator. Seems to work well.
Private message sent
turbodog is offline   Reply With Quote