Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2008, 04:41 PM   #1
Skoolie

Possible to decode International Bus VIN?

I saw a listing for an old Bookmobile, it's listed as "1995 International 3800". Definitely not a regular school bus look. The engine is in front, the whole body has a boxy look instead of curved, front looks different, etc. Anyways there's not a lot of information about it, so I was curious if there was a way to decode the VIN number to see exactly what this bus has before I spend the money on gas to drive out there and see it in person. Here's what little I do know about it:

1995 International 3800
139,000 miles
7.6L DT 466 engine
Automatic transmission
Comes with Martin generator, condition unknown
Has handicap ramp, condition unknown
Starts, paint is bad, had scratches and dings

I think it may be a bit too small, but bidding is just over $1,500 so it's not out of my price range yet. Definitely like how the roof is flat instead of curved, that gives more headroom. It would also look more like a regular RV when done, as it has minimal windows (two for windshield, two on each side up front for driver to look out, and one in very back), two side doors (none where a bus normally has a door), plus the general boxiness is different. I'd like to run out Thursday to look at it, but would like to know some more about it first.

Thanks!

josetann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:48 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: Possible to decode International Bus VIN?

your friendly local ih truck dealer should be able to tell you what the mechanical specs are and what body company ordered the chassis.
good luck.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:51 PM   #3
Skoolie

Re: Possible to decode International Bus VIN?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul iossi
your friendly local ih truck dealer should be able to tell you what the mechanical specs are and what body company ordered the chassis.
good luck.
No idea who that'd be, and I'd be worried about wasting their time (it'd be different if they were the ones selling it).

Anyways, here's two pics of the outside, probably can't tell much from it but perhaps someone could guess as to the length? I know it really can't be 40ft, but what does it look like to you? 25ft, 30ft?

josetann is offline   Reply With Quote