Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2018, 03:59 PM   #1

Potential NC Skoolie - Seeking Advice

Hello everyone!!

I'm new to the skoolie life - I've been able to attend a few van rallies and meet potential skoolie builders but I still haven't taken the plunge! I would love nothing more than to live in a skoolie and I'm more than ready to deal with the headaches of insurance, etc, here in NC.

My biggest concern is living permanently in NC. I'll definitely do some traveling in the skoolie but I would love to purchase land to park the bus and have a 'home'. Everything I've read seems like parking on your own land is a nightmare! I was born here in NC and my entire family is here - I have no interest in leaving the state.

Any folks out there who could give this gal some wisdom on long-term skoolie living in NC? I'm eager for some advice. Thanks so much!!

NatNat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 05:09 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Hello from swansboro,nc.
Didn't have any insurance problems with nationwide and a few other skoolies have called my agent and got covered with no problems.
The only issue I had with a place to work on,park my skoolie was in my own driveway and a man in the neighborhood didn't like it and called the county for an abandoned vehicle.
County land use came out and to make them happy I had to insure,register way before I was ready to put tags on it and I couldn't have construction material in public view.
After that the man kept calling and complaining and the county offered to take him to court because it was not an abandoned vehicle as long as it was insured registered and in a driveable condition.
The county I live in has busses for sale now and they are well maintained and you will get every stitch of paper trail from the day the bus was ordered. Build sheets,wiring diagrams for chassis and body,full maintenance records from day one to present.
All that sounds good but there are few catches if your looking for a fully mechanical/no electronics bus.
Don't know what type of bus you are dreaming/looking at yet.
Hope this helps.
Good luck
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 05:14 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
They do have the computerized busses but they also have the all mechanical busses.
Let us know what type of bus you want and PM me if you are interested in anything in onslow county NC and I can go look at them for you.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
land, long term parking, nc land, nc parking, north carolina