Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2021, 06:43 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Powerstroke equivalent

So I'm starting to look for my next rig. First go was a 1999 Ford E150 hi-top. Did very well considering what I paid and what I sold it for, even more considering how much I used it. I'm planning on going full size this time. Pandemic fucked my head uo and everything else with it. I'm ready to be out on the road for a good long time. And I figure it I decide for roots eventually, I could treat the skoolie like a mobile home at first and just park it on a land lot I buy. I know the shorties have had that 7.3 and the 6.7 powerstroke, which was a total beast. I know it can go either way, but all my years in the garbage industry, those were the least problematic. So my question is, with all my in and out of the diesel world, I may have missed some specific model numbers, but I'm wondering if there was an International or Detroit equivalent for a full size bus that would match up to the powestroke, in terms of longevity and lower cost of repair? Thanks in advance folks.

TheBeardedMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 08:41 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
The T444e would be the international's power stroke equivalent. In a full size bus a dt466 or dt466e would be better.

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 10:44 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you! �������� that was the model I remember the teachers always raved about in class.

I'll start digging into it. ��
TheBeardedMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 03:59 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeardedMage View Post
Thank you! �������� that was the model I remember the teachers always raved about in class.

I'll start digging into it. ��

Yup, the HamSkoolie is a 1996 40 foot AmTran has a DT444E.

Our 2002 F350 super cab with 9 foot utility bed has the 7.3 PowerStroke

While there are some differences, they are the same basic engine. The 7.3 is rated to something like 75,000 pounds GVWR which blows my mind considering its sitting in a 1 ton pickup and an almost 16 ton bus with another 60,000 pounds that it is approved for!!!!!
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote