Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2020, 12:34 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Powertrin questions

Man how I hate technology! Nice long thread disappeared when I hit the post button. So, here is the short version;

I have spent too much time on here this week reading about all the mechanical failures and the price tags attached to them. We decided to push the conversion to the top of our priority list hoping to complete it enough for use before our road trip in August, 79 days from now. Then I started having second thoughts on the reliability and wisdom of taking a basically unknown powertrain on a 3000 mile road trip pulling a 6000 lb trailer.

I have driven the bus a whole 10 miles so far, down the highway to the local scale. When my son brought it home, he drove it about 300 miles at 70+ mph without any issues. After sitting about a month, it cranks for about 5 seconds and fires right up. A small puff of black smoke is all that comes out. It's the 8.3 ISC with a MD3060 trans, and about 260,000 miles.

Are there any common 8.3 problems I need to check out before I pour a few thousand dollars and hours into getting this thing ready? I have read about the Caps system problems, how do I tell if that has already been addressed? Read something about a cracked timing cover, How do I check that problem out? How many miles are these 8.3's really good for before needing major work? The last thing I want to have to do is sit down to a large plate of crow 1000 miles into this trip because I didn't do something preventative before hand. My wife will never say "I told you so!" but she does have that look!!

JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 03:06 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
One thing you can do that will put your mind at ease. Fluid analysis. It's fairly simple, you take individual samples of coolant, oil, and transmission fluid to be sent off to a lab. They, in turn, send back a report of what is found. That will be a big clue as to the health of the major mechanicals of your bus.

The 8.3 is a pretty solid engine from my understanding, and it likely has an MT643 trans or better. I don't think you have much to worry about, but a fluid analysis would reveal a lot.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote