Old 05-06-2017, 12:49 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Chassis: BlueBird
Engine: 3126
Rated Cap: 54
Prepairing to pick up my bus in NJ

I found a gem in NJ which is about 4 hours from me. I'm doing my best to make it legal, trying to get commercial insurance (upholstery repair which isn't a lie, I do do that), which seems to be a bigger issue than RV if it were already converted (they did require proof). The bus is 26000 lbs with hydraulic brakes. I'd like to cover everything "school bus" and remove the stop sign and maybe unbolt most of the seats and just put them in the back so it's technically not capable of transporting people. Can anyone give me an idea what kind of tools to bring along? Socket sizes etc?
nightfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 12:50 PM   #2
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfury View Post
I found a gem in NJ which is about 4 hours from me. I'm doing my best to make it legal, trying to get commercial insurance (upholstery repair which isn't a lie, I do do that), which seems to be a bigger issue than RV if it were already converted (they did require proof). The bus is 26000 lbs with hydraulic brakes. I'd like to cover everything "school bus" and remove the stop sign and maybe unbolt most of the seats and just put them in the back so it's technically not capable of transporting people. Can anyone give me an idea what kind of tools to bring along? Socket sizes etc?
Awesome man

Sent from my Alcatel_4060A using Tapatalk
_Bus_102_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 01:21 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
most everyone here just lesaves all the school materials on and the seats in.. and just drives home.. even across country.. yellow busses tend to just blend in unnotived since they are so common place esp on weekdays or even weekends with sporting events.. school busses go unnoticed unless you are driving reckless or hauling ass crazy...
-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 06:17 PM   #4
Bus Nut

I'm not sure, but I believe that most insurance policies will cover an added vehicle, for a period of time. Your policy should state the time limits.

CadillacKid was correct on his assessment. You should be OK to drive your bus home, without much worries.

Enjoy your new "child"
1olfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 06:34 PM   #5
Bus Geek

I was apprehensive when i got my bus in Texas to drive it to florida and then to ohio... what i found is that i even got waved at by a couple staties.. and many rreal-for-sure school bus drivers waved at me.. they just assumed I was one of them.. when I parked it at a mickey D's on the way to ohio I parked behind a real school bus.. when I came out with my food, some of the little kiddies were lined up outside my bus door instead of theirs.. it blended right in.. the auction didnt touch a thing.. it still said 'school bus' all over it.. all they did was paint over the 'cyfair ISD' on the side..
-Christopher
Old 05-07-2017, 08:08 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks, that actually makes me feel a lot more comfortable about it!
I kinda figured it should blend in but there's always that odd feeling.
Texas-Florida-Ohio is a nice haul...what kind of mileage were you getting out of a tank filling?
Old 05-07-2017, 08:12 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfury View Post
Thanks, that actually makes me feel a lot more comfortable about it!
I kinda figured it should blend in but there's always that odd feeling.
Texas-Florida-Ohio is a nice haul...what kind of mileage were you getting out of a tank filling?
that little bird averages 9-11 MPG depending on how I drive and weather / terrain conditions.. ive run it a total of 7,000 miles since i got in in late september. it has a T-444E / AT545 trans.. I run the A/C alot on long road trips and typically set the cruise at 64.. my MPG's go up a bit if I run it at 62 cruise.. actually quite a bit.. 10-15% points. I havent run a trip at 55 yet.. I know in my DEV bus (DT360 / AT545) I go from 9.5-10.5 at 55 MPH down to 7-7.5 if I run it at 65 MPH...

-Christopher
Old 05-08-2017, 03:58 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Doesn't sound too bad!
At least I now have legal plates thanks to VT so hopefully I can now get RV insurance easy as all the commercial ins quotes are insane and the latest one said it would need to be ceded meaning the state would be behind the scenes on it...WTF?!

Either way I hope to have it home the next couple days and then the fun can begin. Would you suggest I at least remove the town name on the side or avoid highways?
Old 05-08-2017, 04:13 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
I'd say if the school district name is still on it, that would make the bus even more invisible than if it's painted/taped over or peeled off.

And if it has tall enough gears to run down the highway without getting in the way, I wouldn't hesitate to jump on the interstate. When I brought mine home, I was rolling down I40 at 70 mph. I did run back roads around scales though. Didn't feel like taking a chance on it being a slow day at the chicken coop and having an over-eager rookie run me down because I didn't pull in. While running around one of the scale houses, I ended up driving through a small town that was getting ready to close down their main street for a parade. (It was right around thanksgiving, if I remember correctly.) The place was crawling with law enforcement, and no one looked twice even though I didn't even have a plate on it.
Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 04:22 PM   #10
Bus Geek

I didntr even worry about scales.. I have never seen a school bus pull into one... I blow by the AG inspection stations in florida too..
-Christopher
Old 05-08-2017, 04:28 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I didntr even worry about scales.. I have never seen a school bus pull into one... I blow by the AG inspection stations in florida too..
-Christopher
The ag stations always make me a little nervous. My buddy who's a musician got pulled over for not stopping at one in his e250 van!
I think that was up in north FL, where some of the cops are REAALLY fierce.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:50 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
-Christopher
I wouldn't've hesitated to blow right past the scales except that absolutely nothing about my trip was legal. I didn't have plates, my insurance was questionable (I called my agent with the VIN and he said he'd call me back, I didn't hear from him until the next day when I was already home), all I had was a photocopy of the title (the previous owner's bank was mailing me the original), and everything about it still qualified it as a school bus (my cdl was only a learner's permit, and didn't have passenger or school bus endorsements).

I know the chances of getting pulled for not stopping at the scales are miniscule. But on the off chance I did get run down for not pulling in, I didn't want to end up having to leave my bus on the should 300 miles from home. I figured it would be a safer bet taking a 15 minute detour around the three sets of scales and just blending in. Plus, I used those opportunities to stop for a break, stretch my legs, hit a restroom, let my dog out to run around for a minute, and grab a drink.
Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 05:32 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Buses don't stop at weight scales anyway. At least not around here. People do look at me funny when I don't completely stop for railroad tracks.
I drove around for two or three weeks with no plates. I did have a temp tag, but you couldn't see it through the tinted window. Never got stopped or even looked at funny.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:34 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
The ag stations always make me a little nervous. My buddy who's a musician got pulled over for not stopping at one in his e250 van!
I think that was up in north FL, where some of the cops are REAALLY fierce.
they are right after entering and right before leaving the state on all major interstates... I havent been nailed at one yet... I see the grwyhounds go right on by so i do too..
-Christopher
Old 05-08-2017, 07:50 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameses View Post
I'd say if the school district name is still on it, that would make the bus even more invisible than if it's painted/taped over or peeled off.
My bus came across the border from NFL with Wisconsin Apportioned tags and fuel tax stickers, the lights and school bus previously blacked out along with the school district name scraped off by the owners before them, a pipeline company out of Wisconsin. It then drove from Maine to NJ, with my regular NJ Class D license.

If its NSBCY, and behaving proper, you might as well have engaged a Romulan cloaking device.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:42 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Just wanted to say, got her home today, 5 hours 260 miles trouble free cruising the highway at 65-70, on the home stretch I pushed her up to almost 80 for a bit, still very solid.
The guy I bought it from owns a truck stop/oil company so he was nice enough to top off the oil and coolant, even came with a full tank. Tires basically new, new brakes, new tranny, rolls straight and smooth down the road. Bus was only used for sports teams, no rust and only 147k miles.
Now the fun part begins...
Old 05-10-2017, 11:53 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Sounds like a pretty sweet deal on your bus. Congrats on a successful long drive home. How long did it take you to stop white knuckling the steering wheel? Yes, the fun begins. Then it just keeps going and going and going until you forget about the fun for a while.

We are going to get before and after pics, aren't we?
Old 05-11-2017, 08:00 AM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Sounds like a pretty sweet deal on your bus. Congrats on a successful long drive home. How long did it take you to stop white knuckling the steering wheel? Yes, the fun begins. Then it just keeps going and going and going until you forget about the fun for a while.

We are going to get before and after pics, aren't we?
Thank you, I really can't complain for $3500. My trip taking me through NJ/NYC pre rush hour traffic was a good initiation, after that I was very comfortable with it.

Woke up to cops checking it out because a neighbor called concerned about the school buses not making it around the cul-de-sac, I know who (figured by the look on her face when I got home with it) but luckily the cop was very nice and said as long as the bus can make it around he doesn't see a problem, I told him what I was doing and he was legit excited.

There will definitely be pics, going to take some good before pics today and start a thread in the proper category.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:09 AM   #19
Bus Geek

Excellent. That was a good price.