Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2015, 07:46 AM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I'd have put in a bid already if it weren't on the absolute opposite side of the lower 48.
It's only a 2,700 mile drive. That'd be a nice week long road trip.

austin1989us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 12:31 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by human being View Post
I am in Spokane and have signed up to bid.
Did you win one? How'd it go?

I've been watching the auction online.

Looks like the 92 amtran with a non-descript "international 6 cyl" went for $1750

The 94 amtran with DT408 and dead battery went for $1500

The 97 amtran with DT466 went for $3000

And the 98 amtran with DT466E went for $2500
Old 11-13-2015, 12:32 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1994
Rated Cap: 72
pretty upset, was having problems with the site, devastated to be honest. I want to cry.
Old 11-13-2015, 12:45 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Quote:
pretty upset, was having problems with the site, devastated to be honest. I want to cry.
I'm sorry, that's terrible. There will be others though. Don't fret about it. That was getting pretty expensive for the 97 anyway.
Old 11-13-2015, 12:46 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

yeah, it's just that I need to move and it would have been perfect. I really screwed up. derp da derr
Old 11-13-2015, 12:47 PM   #26
Bus Nut

This one is coming up for auction next week and it looks pretty awesome:

https://www.rbauction.com/1991-BLUEB...NIX-AZ-2015293
Old 11-13-2015, 12:58 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin1989us View Post
This one is coming up for auction next week and it looks pretty awesome:

https://www.rbauction.com/1991-BLUEB...NIX-AZ-2015293
Flight from Spokane to Phoenix runs about $600. Probably about another $500 in fuel to get it back. You should be able to do the drive in two very long days or three slightly shorter days if you don't run into any problems.
Old 11-13-2015, 01:05 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

not going to work man, I don't have a CDL, I'd have to hire someone to drive it/ship it and the cost of that would seem like it wouldn't be worth it right now for me. It never occurred to me that the auction would start so early in the morning, you snooze you lose and I lost today. Gotta move on. Sorry to be such a bummer, I'm sure whoever won it is super happy so congrats to them. wasn't meant to be for me.
Old 11-13-2015, 01:11 PM   #29
Bus Nut

Quote:
I don't have a CDL
That's one of those tricky areas. I don't know how strict they are in Arizona/Utah/Nevada/Idaho/Oregon/Montana/Washington about the CDL thing. I don't have a CDL and I drove my bus from Louisiana back to Texas with no problems. I was hoping that if I got pulled over they'd be impressed that I had insurance and I'd be able to talk my way out of a ticket by saying I'm turning it into an RV. I just drove my partially converted bus across Texas and figured I'd probably be able to talk my way out of a ticket a little better because it had a bedroom/bathroom and no seats.

I think that technically, once it's titled/registered as an RV you don't need a CDL, but you may need a higher class of personal driver's license and/or air brake endorsement depending on the state you live in.
Old 11-13-2015, 01:25 PM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

know of any other sites where they come up for sale on? I saw someone mention govdeals.com in another thread, most of them seem to be on the east coast though. Thanks for the advice austin1989
Old 11-13-2015, 01:27 PM   #31
Bus Nut

Quote:
know of any other sites where they come up for sale on? I saw someone mention govdeals.com in another thread, most of them seem to be on the east coast though. Thanks for the advice austin1989
I bid on a few on govdeals but eventually found mine on craigslist. ebay has some as well. good luck finding your bus!
Old 11-13-2015, 03:18 PM   #32
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Man, dont be too bummed.
IMO though 3k was quite a steal.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 03:25 PM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

thanks for the encouragement guys, after I realized it was Friday the 13th it all made sense. Had quite the rough night from not falling asleep until 3am to being woken up repeatedly to noises throughout the night and then finally waking up late... gotta get out of the city and back to the woods asap... then to see that I had foolishly not been aware of the correct time and to fumble around trying to get into the auction only to be too late to watch them go for low prices that I would have gladly paid.

I'll make the best of it though, the govdeals.com site looks promising as do some listings on eBay... it just would've been so damn perfect considering the buses were located in the city I'm in.

Don't want to derail this thread any further with my gripes and moans. Maybe we could discuss costs of shipping? or ways to move buses across country the best way, although it seems like it's pretty much been laid out, fly/drive to where it's located and fuel it up and take it back and possibly risk being pulled over without a CDL eh?
Old 11-13-2015, 03:29 PM   #34

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
A word of warning, almost all the closing times listed for auctions is EST. Make sure you plan for that.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 03:49 PM   #35
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: All American Rear Engine
Engine: C-8.3-300 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 40 Prisoners
You might also check out Publicsurplus.com for buses Forks, WA has one
up for auction a Bluebird front engine flat nose. Looks to be a parts vehicle
had a bid up to $100.00 this morning.
Dragonpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 03:52 PM   #36
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post
A word of warning, almost all the closing times listed for auctions is EST. Make sure you plan for that.
yeah... not a mistake I will make again. In my case it wasn't actually a confusion over the time, I just never imagined it would be so early in the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonpop View Post
You might also check out Publicsurplus.com for buses Forks, WA has one
up for auction a Bluebird front engine flat nose. Looks to be a parts vehicle
had a bid up to $100.00 this morning.
right on Dragonpop, thanks. I'll check the site out.
Old 11-13-2015, 04:37 PM   #37
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
thanks for the encouragement guys, after I realized it was Friday the 13th it all made sense. Had quite the rough night from not falling asleep until 3am to being woken up repeatedly to noises throughout the night and then finally waking up late... gotta get out of the city and back to the woods asap... then to see that I had foolishly not been aware of the correct time and to fumble around trying to get into the auction only to be too late to watch them go for low prices that I would have gladly paid.

I'll make the best of it though, the govdeals.com site looks promising as do some listings on eBay... it just would've been so damn perfect considering the buses were located in the city I'm in.

Don't want to derail this thread any further with my gripes and moans. Maybe we could discuss costs of shipping? or ways to move buses across country the best way, although it seems like it's pretty much been laid out, fly/drive to where it's located and fuel it up and take it back and possibly risk being pulled over without a CDL eh?
Eh, kinda sounds like how I typically sleep...
I sleep for 2-3 hours at night late, then get up early and have coffee... Then I sleep a couple hours in the afternoon.
Occasional cat naps are nice, too.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 11:39 AM   #38
Mini-Skoolie

I stalk govdeals.com and publicsurplus.com as well as Craigslist (WAY overpriced in the PNW, though). I also pop into my local bus depots periodically although the next scheduled fleet auctions all seem to be in June 2016
marbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 01:40 PM   #39
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the tips and where to find more bus deals. Never heard of publicsurplus before. Will start watching there too.
katoranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 05:38 PM   #40
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Engine: Navistar T444E Disel V8
Rated Cap: 71
I purchased mine on Public Surplus. Austin ISD had been using a local auction company for years and didn't like the way they did business, so they were testing the waters with public surplus. They posted 10 buses and I bought mine for $2,200! The bus barn manager said they usually sell for $8,000-$10,000 these days, but because it was a new auction site not a lot of people heard about it.
Intalleyvision is offline   Reply With Quote