Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2006, 12:55 AM   #1
Almost There

Problems starting

Ok normally when I put the key in and turn.. Glow plug light turns on, then then something with the break motor "clicks" several times, then I turn it over.

Today I did all this and when I went to turn it over. it went to turn over then the whole system died out like a short or something.

Ive had it act funny before, and usually just try again and it works, but I tired it several times, ... URT click everything off. did it many times, and then it acted like the battery was completely dead, but it wasnt cuz after some time a click was heard and everything came back on. tired again and again no luck. just and URT click.. I started getting really frustrated and left it for tomarrow.

Could it be something with the starter? The funny thing is, right before all this it was running fine, I shut it off to check fluids and what not, and when I went back to start it is when the problem started.

Any help, thanks.

ParadigmCrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 01:51 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
So just to clarify....it doesn't turn over at all? Or does it turn over and not start?
Old 08-08-2006, 09:53 AM   #3
Almost There

Im not sure what kind of bus you have, but I had a similar experience with my DT 360 International. It wound up being the batteries were going bad. When I turned the ignition switch the batteries didnt have enough power to turn over the motor and shut everything down (no lights, no nothing). After a few seconds everything came to live and it appeared on the surface like I had good power from the batteries...until I tried to turn it over again. I put two fresh batteries in there and all was well.

May not be your problem...just a similar problem I had with mine.
Castro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 05:48 PM   #4
Bus Geek

try ruling a few things out...

First, try connecting either some jumper cables to another running vehicle and see if it starts. (or you could use a GOOD high amp battery charger/starter. Something around 200 amps)

If that doesn't work, then you can rule out a dead battery.

IF she does start after you jump it, then you need to figure out what is causing the batterys to go dead.....Either Batteries are Junk, there is something draining the batteries when the bus is not running, or there is a bad connection somewhere (ie: corroded batt terminals.)
Old 08-08-2006, 11:00 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Like Jason mentioned check the battery terminals. They get all corroded and you have a no start situation. Also check where the ground cable connects to the bus chassis.
busone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 01:53 AM   #6
Almost There

The starter had grime all over it. As well as the grounding cable from the battery. Wirebrush solved it all.
ParadigmCrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 09:32 AM   #7
Bus Geek

most excellent! Repairs that cost zero dollars are the best kind!