Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2021, 11:42 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP-EF
Engine: Cat C7 + Allison 3000PTS
Proof that you CAN put storage behind the rear wheels!

If it's good enough for Bluebird, it's good enough for me! Found this for sale on Facebook.

This makes me feel a little bit better about potentially putting storage bins or even a well-armored mini split behind the rear wheels. I know that inclines are a big deal, so I don't think I'd plan behind-the-wheel stuff if I didn't have to, but it's nice to know that it's literally a factory option, so it is *possible*.
Attached Thumbnails
BlueBird_Storage_RearWheels.jpg  

dbsoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 11:53 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
some busses actually are built with skirting that goes down that far..these bins go back farther than ive seen.. ive usually only seen a single bin past the rear axle.. but this bus also may be sitting lower than its normal operating height.. it could have rear air ride thats flat in that picture.. being such a long wheelbase you dont have as likely chance of hitting super high angles unless you are pulling into a very steep and long incline area... ive run into things at some shopping areas and hotels that would stop this bus.. mainly some stop-offs i mountain areas that would do it.. the mountain road often sits lower than the buildings and the driveways are steep..
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 01:04 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Those are short double boxes. Mine has one 5.5' box on the drive side.

Old 12-09-2021, 05:08 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
I have my Generator and tool boxes behind the rear axle. The rear most box does have a slope to it so that it does not effect the departure angle. I did have my tow hitch hang me up once, and have been deep enough in sand to have the boxes touching the ground but not fully resting on them. Just need to be mindful that they are there.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 05:29 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP-EF
Engine: Cat C7 + Allison 3000PTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
I have my Generator and tool boxes behind the rear axle. The rear most box does have a slope to it so that it does not effect the departure angle. I did have my tow hitch hang me up once, and have been deep enough in sand to have the boxes touching the ground but not fully resting on them. Just need to be mindful that they are there.

Tow hitch is a good point there. I almost feel like it would be worth it to get a hitch integrated into the bumper just so the actual bracket doesn’t hang so low…
dbsoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 06:08 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
One thing I can see that might help... Those rear boxes don't look any lower than the front engine cradle so chances are you'll feel the thud of the engine cradle hit that steep entry/departure before the boxes have an opportunity to hit once you're already committed. I'd also agree a tow hitch is probably a good bump saver as well.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 06:53 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsoundman View Post
Tow hitch is a good point there. I almost feel like it would be worth it to get a hitch integrated into the bumper just so the actual bracket doesn’t hang so low…
There was a 6" channel iron cross brace behind the bumper. I welded an 18" long plate on top of the channel and welded the receiver to it though the bumper. If you use a drop hitch, you can turn it over and make it a high hitch to help with ground clearance. I have a 4' wide tri-fold ramp under there also.