Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2020, 03:59 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: Ford e450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Public Surplus 7.3s...My first bids?

Stars have aligned in our family that we could make it out to Arizona in a few days for one of these two buses.

I've read enough now to know a 7.3 in good condition would be worth it.

I have never bid on an auction before and just want to make sure I am not missing anything. Should I bid? On one, or both?
Should I wait for one with lower miles knowing it will turn up at some point somewhere? Are the issues listed problematic (EastCoast already told me a dead battery isn't anything to worry about - how about the other one's transmission and other issues?)?

Thank you for the help!

https://publicsurplus.com/sms/auction/view?auc=2578319

https://publicsurplus.com/sms/auction/view?auc=2577918

awilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 09:06 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: American Cargo 14'L x 7'8"W x 7'H Box
Chassis: Ford E350 Cutaway
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 11500 lbs
I have the Ford E350 cutaway chassis as a box van and chose this platform because the 7.3L powerstroke is a wonderful engine for a small bus/truck and the Ford E-series chassis can be converted to 4WD with kits from several vendors. You may want to ask Joeblack5 about the E350 with a short bus body. I think he has one 2WD and one 4WD.

160k is less than half life (MTBF) for this engine with regular, scheduled maintenance. The van body can make maintenance/repair a bit of a knuckle busting exercise compared to a fully hooded bus body.

Ford transmissions are OK but do not have a reputation for being overbuilt. If the logistics of towing the vehicle are feasible and you have the skills/interest for rebuilding an automatic transmission, I would suggest trying to get the bus with the broken transmission for cheap. Then rebuild the transmission with upgraded components and you know exactly what you got when you are done.

A few winters ago, I built up a reinforced GM 700R4 transmission for my diesel square body Blazer and it was a fun and rewarding project. This was the first auto transmission I ever touched but a very straight forward exercise after watching several youtube videos describing in detail the rebuild process and reading the official shop rebuild manual that I found as pdf copy on the internet. Additionally, I got great advice and loaner tools over the weekend from a friendly, local transmission shop. In return, I bought all the parts there at a price that I could not get beat by any reputable online vendor. As intimidating as the valve body of an old-school automatic transmission looks, the torque transferring guts are remarkably simple. I have worked on several manual transmissions that were much trickier to reassemble correctly.

You will need a lift to get the tranny out and back into the bus.
Old 06-09-2020, 03:04 PM   #3
Skoolie

Many thanks, alpine44.

Boy, rebuilding a transmission totally sounds like something I'd try, but given we'll be out in Arizona far from home with limited time, and with a three year old, I think it's too much of a project to take on myself given the circumstances.

Would it be worth it to get that bus and pay to have the transmission rebuilt? I have no idea how much that would cost. It also says it would need to be towed on a flat bed. And "No rear door, missing glass on service door, drivers side window stuck in down position. Body work in 2014: realigned rear bumper, fixed dent right corner, and fixed dent on right skirt." - Accident? How much money are we talking here and would it be worth it?

The other (https://publicsurplus.com/sms/auction/view?auc=2578319) is higher miles (160k) but seems in better shape, apparently only needs batteries.

Thanks so much.

I'd love to know people's opinions on if they'd bid on these or not. EastCoast?
Old 06-09-2020, 03:21 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by awilder View Post
Many thanks, alpine44.

Boy, rebuilding a transmission totally sounds like something I'd try, but given we'll be out in Arizona far from home with limited time, and with a three year old, I think it's too much of a project to take on myself given the circumstances.

Would it be worth it to get that bus and pay to have the transmission rebuilt? I have no idea how much that would cost. It also says it would need to be towed on a flat bed. And "No rear door, missing glass on service door, drivers side window stuck in down position. Body work in 2014: realigned rear bumper, fixed dent right corner, and fixed dent on right skirt." - Accident? How much money are we talking here and would it be worth it?

The other (https://publicsurplus.com/sms/auction/view?auc=2578319) is higher miles (160k) but seems in better shape, apparently only needs batteries.

Thanks so much.

I'd love to know people's opinions on if they'd bid on these or not. EastCoast?
Boy, I would be wary that it started as an accident and then became a parts donor to other members of the fleet... I'd be very cautious sight unseen...

You can look up the model of trans and see what they cost new, or rebuilt from a shop to give you an idea of future expenses.

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 03:30 PM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by banman View Post
Boy, I would be wary that it started as an accident and then became a parts donor to other members of the fleet... I'd be very cautious sight unseen...

You can look up the model of trans and see what they cost new, or rebuilt from a shop to give you an idea of future expenses.

Oh sorry, to clarify, I added 'Accident,' - I was wondering if the bumper work and dent fixes indicated that it was in an accident.

That's a good idea regarding the trans....
Old 06-09-2020, 04:17 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
I would make a phone call to Tempe Union HS and see if you can garner any info on both busses. At this point the one that presumably runs and drives is only $500 more than the one with known tranny problems. 20 years ago when I was a grease monkey, I did several tranny swaps of the E4OD on the F350 platform. Seems like we were getting rebuilt trans for somewhere in the neighborhood of $1800. Labor and incidentals was probably close to another $1000.

If you can find a clear bill of health from a mechanic at the school district on the one with dead batteries, you can feel better about bidding it up a bit higher. Definitely keeping in mind, it's all one giant crap shoot!!
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 05:41 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
two years ago i had a tranny rebuilt for a 77 truck and it was 1000 bucks
the company truck i was driving dropped the tranny and it was 3500 to rebuild .
i can rebuild the old stuff but in the wrong conditions like i have like no garage,everything done in a gravel driveway and or done on a tailgate or open work table?
not a transmission gut and repair territory.
the replacement kit was 700 and the garage did it for 1000 with a warranty on a ford c6 tranny and me pulling it taking it to them and putting it back in myself.
i understand the garage hours and rags and other charges when i know what it takes to do the job whether i agree with it or not
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 06:01 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Hi, Arizona would mean no rust and that is as good as it gets. Depending on your time I would go out there a day before the auction closes and make an appointment to look at them both. If you are driving take a group 65 battery and starter cables along. battery is about $100 at samsclub.
I bought a 4x4 e350 with a broken tranny once and the overhaul with new torque converter in a pop and mom shop was $1500 , 6 yrs ago... I did the labor of taking it out and putting it back in.
May be the mechanic can tell you a bit about what was replaced. new transmission, injectors, a/c ?

If you can see the and get it running then I would stop bidding at $3500 unless it just got a new tranny and injector. Not sure if you pay an auction fee on top.

If you buy the broken one and are able to transfer title in your name before it leaves the lot you might get AAA to tow it for you , assuming you are a member especially if you can get it outside the gate and tow it to a friend or family member.

And then.. you can buy them both.

Good luck.

Johan
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 02:44 PM   #9
Skoolie

Thanks so much JackE, great idea, I just called the school and they were friendly and are going to get back to me.

Thank you joeblack5, makes a bunch of sense to check them out beforehand. However I am a long ways from Phoenix (an admittedly cheap plane flight or 23 hour drive). If this does not work out I will try to do that next time, maybe wrap in a 'vacation'.

We will see! I have learned a lot already and expect to learn a lot more if I get one of these buses. Many thanks.
Old 06-10-2020, 06:14 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
I believe the 2002 fords had the 4R100 trans instead of the E40D. The 4R100 is an adequate trans for the 7.3L but didn't do well in the pickups that had engine mods for more power. The van engines didn't get intercoolers and were de-tuned for less power than the F Series pickups. For bus use they should be fine. Doing a rebuild on the 4R can make it a much more robust trans.