Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2021, 11:47 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Putting a house awning on your bus?

Im looking at a 12' awning made for a house and attaching it to the frame of my roof top deck (1.5" steel square tubing). This is the awning... https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/f...?rrec=true#spc

Can anyone see any issue using this style awning? Its much cheaper then any "rv" awning i can find in canada thats this size.

Shea_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 12:25 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
So long as it's securely fashioned, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Bouncing down the road might loosen some screws/bolts, but it wouldn't be much different then an RV type unit.

Be warned though, those armless awnings are very sensitive to wind. Even the armed style rv awnings can be bent/broken easily with a good gust.
Old 03-22-2021, 01:04 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
Do I think it would work, yes. Do I think it's a good choice???

The things I would be thinking about is the amount of jolting it would experience during travel. I find my bus basically moves as a unit. I'm amazed at how well things stay in place when cruising down the road.

But, if I hit a bump, hole, go over a curb that rocks the bus from side to side, the jolting and whiplash effect is much more pronounced.

Not that RV products are anything to cheer about, lotta crap out there, but they are designed for going down the road.

I also think house units are used in calmer weather. My experience is when camping, the wind picks up and the awning can get a good workout, especially if it's mounted so high on your rig.

If you're willing to roll the dice, go for the home one and if it doesn't work, well, you can amortize the cost over how ever long it did work.

Since you're attaching it to your deck, it will be easy to replace and not worry about extra screw holes in the bus.

Best of luck.
Old 03-22-2021, 04:46 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Welcome Shea
I have install several of those on house's and cabin's that I have renovated and was impressed with the quality and strength, that being said the rv style awnings have the arms fastened low on the body which would help prevent wind lift. I think installed on your deck rail it could be very well secured. How about a small rope and tent peg or ground screw on the corners to prevent lift. Even the most expensive rv awnings need to be retracted in high winds. Since you're shopping at Canadian Tire what part of Canuck Land are you in? anywhere near Vancouver? If that doesn't work I've got a complete 16' Dometic awning in good shape that I might be persuaded to let go cheap.
Good luck

Oscar
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote