Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2022, 08:22 PM   #1

Putting in a heater and using coolant line

I have the typical 1" hose currently looped as I removed the rear heater. I'm considering cutting it back to the driver's seat and putting in a small coolant driven heater with 5/8" pipe. Are there any concerns with me stepping down the 1" line to 5/8" at this unit? Something like this:

https://www.northernradiator.com/SPE..._HEATERS/AH464

Snewo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 03:39 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
whatever the heater you by your line doesnt need to be any smaller than its connection size and you will have to read the manual for it and it should give you recommended line sizes for length and do you already have a coolant pump besides the one on the engine?
if not you might need to add one.
also i would re route the lines under the bus instead of burying them in the flooring or somewhere that you cant get back to them for inspection and or repair later.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 11:01 PM   #3

I can't find a cheap small heater like that with 1" line, which is why I'm asking if it's OK to step it down to 5/8". I do not plan on going through the floor FWIW, I have hose coming into the compartment behind the driver's seat and I'm planning on doing all clamping etc in the compartment.
Snewo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 06:36 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snewo View Post
I can't find a cheap small heater like that with 1" line, which is why I'm asking if it's OK to step it down to 5/8". I do not plan on going through the floor FWIW, I have hose coming into the compartment behind the driver's seat and I'm planning on doing all clamping etc in the compartment.

so you have your heater line looped after your front heaters? or you tore out all your front heaters? im a bit lost..

if you took out your defrosters and your front heaters then buy 2 heaters.. one to put your defrosters back to work and then one for your heater..

the answer though is yes you can step your line size down to 5/8", you wont hurt anythuing at all by doing it.. if you do try and put 2 heaters in series, the second one may lose a little capacity at idle but not too bad..

if you looped your heater lines Behind your existing defroster system you can still step down to 5/8 but if you have the factory defroster as the first in the flow.. at idle you may lose a good bit of capacity on your new heater, but above idle youll be just fine...

I ran a parallel / series flow system so that I could have a 1 inch trunk and then pull each 5/8 heater off of the trunk... for more than a couple heaters this type system is the only way to go if you want to run 5/8.. but for just 1 or 2 you can keep it simple, step down and go..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote