Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2017, 11:46 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Questions about Gillig

So we’ve found a bus that looks awesome! We unfortunately don’t know too much about it. It’s a 1975 Gillig. Any input would be helpful.

TIA

Mamathree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 12:52 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Tell us more about it?

Mileage?
Engine?
Transmission?
Condition?
Location?

Pictures would be awesome.

As you spend time reading through the forum you will find many discussions regarding preference on drive train and things to look for.

As to Gillig, they are well respected and have a reputation as a solid bus. As I understand it, they are substantially built from class 8 truck pieces.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 01:29 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

So it appears to be in good condition and is inear Leavenworth WA. The guy hasn’t replied to my phone call or email yet.
Attached Thumbnails
063C7623-A2A9-4FA2-A183-69FDD8043A8E.jpeg   8B049DA8-2D02-425A-BFE4-BBC10DC933EA.jpeg   F8AF6F9E-3EB2-4049-9347-AAF883744824.jpeg  
Old 11-07-2017, 03:03 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
That is a nice bus for its vintage.

I would definitely have a capable mechanic check it over for you. I would venture a guess that it has more than 181k miles on it. It looks like the odometer rolls over at 100k so it could be 281k or 381k miles.

It is equipped with a manual transmission and a CAT engine. If you are ok with that and it passes muster as far as mechanical condition & rust I would be getting excited about it.

There are differing opinions here regarding CAT engines. Like most manufacturers, CAT build some great engines and some that were not quite as successful. Like a number of members here, I have a strong preference towards Cummins and International engines. Parts and service tend to be a bit easier to find and less expensive than similar service on a CAT. I live in a town of 2000 people in a county of less than 6000. There are two places in town were I can get parts and service for my Cummins and International motors. The nearest CAT service is almost 100 miles away at the CAT dealer.

I would also consider how much of an investment in the conversion you want to make. If "metal tent" is your goal and you won't be investing a great deal of time and money in it then the longevity of the bus may be less of a concern. Buy a cheap bus and use it until it wears out and then find another cheap bus. If you intend to make a more substantial investment in the conversion then I would recommend making sure that the bus you start with has plenty of life left in it.

Let us know what you hear from the seller.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:10 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1975
Chassis: Gillig
Engine: Cat 3208t/10 speed transmission
For $1500 unless it has some major flaw it's a good deal.
Go for it!
Old 11-08-2017, 01:44 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Unfortunately we’ve made several attempts to contact the seller and have heard ZIP back. Our thought was to maybe use it for a bit but atleast get it back to our property and work on it and if it runs for a bit great and if not we’ll turn it into a cool guest house 😁 For $1500 the look alone is cool enough for us. This would be our “what not to do next time” bus 😜