Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2023, 10:59 AM   #1

Registering Converted Skoolie in MA With No Title

Hi all,

I'm in discussions to buy a Skoolie that already 99% converted (just needs cosmetic touches to finish it off) from a private seller. The seller used the VT registration strategy before VT closed it down to get the bus registered as an RV, but, as such, doesn't have a title for it.

I'm in MA and am all too familiar with the hoops that the RMV makes you jump through even when you have all the proper paperwork. I'm wondering if I'm going to run into extra problems because I don't have a title, even though it did not require a title previously. I haven't been able to find an exact answer addressing this situation, and was wondering if anyone here had gone through something similar and had any advice or insight.

I'm hoping it won't be a big deal. From what I've read, if you don't have a title from a private sale, then you need to bring the bill of sale and the registration. I would have both of those, and the bus is already registered as an RV, so it wouldn't need to change from like a bus or commercial registration either (and even if it did, it has permanent toilets and sinks and whatnot already installed). I would hope that it would not be an issue for them to just run the VIN, see it's not stolen, and since a title was not required for VT accept the bill of sale and registration and retitle/transfer registration. However, I have had plenty of experience with the RMV not abiding by their own regulations.

The bus is already painted non-yellow and is mechanically fine. My plan would also be to get it insured before even going to the RMV.

Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated!

KayMichaels is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
massachusetts, registration, title, title registration