Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2015, 01:13 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
I hear ya, Nat. I forgot to mention the last part of my personal policy: make it nice enough that some people won't even recognize it's a DIY bus conversion, and others who are allowed even a slight amount of discretion will let it slide through. This is the biggest reason why I've gone to so much work to completely strip the sides off mine -- after the roof raise and window removal I want big panels of metal with as few visible joints as possible, rather than covering holes individually. I think that'll do a lot for its exterior appearance/appeal/campground and neighborhood acceptability.

family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:20 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post
I hear ya, Nat. I forgot to mention the last part of my personal policy: make it nice enough that some people won't even recognize it's a DIY bus conversion, and others who are allowed even a slight amount of discretion will let it slide through. This is the biggest reason why I've gone to so much work to completely strip the sides off mine -- after the roof raise and window removal I want big panels of metal with as few visible joints as possible, rather than covering holes individually. I think that'll do a lot for its exterior appearance/appeal/campground and neighborhood acceptability.
I agree 100%.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:55 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: I.H.
Engine: DT360
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post
This is why I'm so hard on the people here that slap together piles of $hit for bus conversions.

The more pile of $hit conversions that get built, the more All skoolies will get rejected from the campgrounds.

Nat
Hard on the people here? I thought you just wanted things done you way.
HolyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:04 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
My personal policy is don't ask about skoolies, don't volunteer that it is a skoolie, and have a backup plan in case they ask me to move along (if I'm not staying long, they might just let it slide because it's perceived to be easier than opening a confrontation). But most of the time I'll probably try to avoid campgrounds anyway; for me the point of going out is to have more nature and less neighbor. Campgrounds usually seem to be packed pretty tight.
My personal policy is to avoid private camp grounds altogether! There are so many free camping places with fantastic scenery, few people and no oversight. On the rare occasion I'll pay to stay at back-country sites on national or provincial parks.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:15 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyBus View Post
Hard on the people here? I thought you just wanted things done you way.
I don't want anyone to do things MY Way.

I would rather folks do things the Right Way.

Please don't be delusional.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
Old 08-20-2015, 04:16 PM   #26
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126b Rotella-Chugger
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleeT View Post
I was really excited to stay in an RV park here in Austin. Called them up and they don't allow skoolies to stay. I had been warned about some parks doing this. What gives? Do they just assume skoolies are busted up hunks of junk? Is it a safety issue with them being home built and potential fire hazards? To reject someone sight unseen is just a big bag of BS. My skoolie is nicer than some conventional RVs they have in there. What a joke.
I was rejected by the same one I believe. I ended up staying at a state park aboyt 7 miles outside the city and biking in, for like $20 a night. One day we called an uber cab in and they came all the way out to the park.
porkchopsandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 11:59 PM   #27
Bus Crazy

Quote:
My personal policy is don't ask about skoolies, don't volunteer that it is a skoolie, and have a backup plan in case they ask me to move along (if I'm not staying long, they might just let it slide because it's perceived to be easier than opening a confrontation). But most of the time I'll probably try to avoid campgrounds anyway; for me the point of going out is to have more nature and less neighbor. Campgrounds usually seem to be packed pretty tight.
If you have paid a deposit for the reservation, and the "no skoolie" rule wasn't on the website or forms, you have a contract with them. If they try to verbally turn you away on arrival, they might be liable for damages. Just give a call to Johnny Carson's advisors Dewey, Cheatem & Howe.

On the other hand, if they publish a "Class A only" or "RVIA only" rule, and you try to slip in a skoolie as an "equivalent," the shoe may be on the other foot.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 12:04 AM   #28

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbear View Post
If you have paid a deposit for the reservation, and the "no skoolie" rule wasn't on the website or forms, you have a contract with them. If they try to verbally turn you away on arrival, they might be liable for damages. Just give a call to Johnny Carson's advisors Dewey, Cheatem & Howe.

On the other hand, if they publish a "Class A only" or "RVIA only" rule, and you try to slip in a skoolie as an "equivalent," the shoe may be on the other foot.
That's the same law firm that the Click and Clack Brothers use.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 04:44 PM   #29
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblah View Post
I have been told by our local DMV (SAAQ in québec Canada) that some RV parks only allow NFPA 1192 approved RVs.

NFPA 1192: Standard on Recreational Vehicles

Another standard that is widely used: Z240 MH SERIES-09 (R2015) | Factory Built Buildings (Including Mobile Homes) | ShopCSAShopCSA Search Results

Sucks, but the modern, safe, clean world is catching up to the DIY.
Pain in the ass that standards are, these guides may be useful in ensuring the safety of our buses. RV parks notwithstanding, none of us want ours to burn up.
Old 08-22-2015, 04:49 PM   #30
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunky Bus View Post
Pain in the ass that standards are, these guides may be useful in ensuring the safety of our buses. RV parks notwithstanding, none of us want ours to burn up.
Those burning RVs are all compliant with those rules btw...

User error/stupidity can't be avoided...
mrblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 08:59 PM   #31
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: GMC
Rated Cap: 42
I agree with Mrblah. I have seen several burning RVs and no burning skoolies. I also agree with Jatzy there are so many better places to camp than private campgrounds. I would rather camp in a Wal-Mart parking lot than in most private campgrounds and I would rather camp in the wild than any place close to a city,
JA Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:38 PM   #32
Bus Geek

When I drove tow truck I got to see how nicely RVs burn.
I could not believe how much wood was in them.

That was one more reason I went with a skoolie.

Nat

Old 08-23-2015, 07:45 PM   #33
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblah View Post
Those burning RVs are all compliant with those rules btw...

User error/stupidity can't be avoided...
Indeed. No matter how experienced we are, we aren't immune to error. Good article here on RV fire safety from Mac the Fire Guy:

Fire Facts That Can Save Your Life

Note: "school bus" does not appear anywhere on his site. He could teach campgrounds a thing or two.
Old 09-14-2015, 11:45 AM   #34

I'm experiencing the same issues in the Washington/Oregon area. Many of the RV park just state its policy but don't really have a reason why its a policy. We've asked if we could submit photos of the bus for approvement but get turned down on that nearly every time. Its actually a real struggle trying to find an RV park that will accept a skoolie.

We lucked out. Where we are currently saying accepted us before seeing the bus and once they met us, they allowed us to stay.
kotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 01:21 PM   #35
Bus Nut

This thread began addressing RV parks then shifted to campgrounds.

Totally different animals unless they're private CGs, they can get snooty.

I've been using CGs since I was a kid but have never stayed in an RV park and also never been turned down for any reason.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:29 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleeT View Post
I was really excited to stay in an RV park here in Austin. Called them up and they don't allow skoolies to stay. I had been warned about some parks doing this. What gives? Do they just assume skoolies are busted up hunks of junk? Is it a safety issue with them being home built and potential fire hazards? To reject someone sight unseen is just a big bag of BS. My skoolie is nicer than some conventional RVs they have in there. What a joke.

I haven't bought my skoolie yet- but I just moved to Austin and I thought I'd check out Pecan Grove to find out about full time prices, etc... maybe sign up for a waiting list if there is one... and the very nice man pointed to a sign right on the door that says "NO SCHOOL BUSES ALLOWED". I was so sad.
Lvndrmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:49 AM   #37
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Wow this is a old thread ,
We where in Winnipeg Manitoba , in July stopped at the town and country rv park where we stayed before(other owners) and they wouldn't let us in because we are a skoolie . Frist time in Canada we have been turned away , over 7 years with our bus
gbstewart