Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2020, 10:06 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: Mercedes-Benz
Rated Cap: 36pass
Lol okay this is what I mean, im not irresponsible Im actually one of the most responsible people I know. I would never do anything that endangers anyones life specially, because as messed up as it is I care more about the safety of others before my own. Its not like I tried to drive a bus with bold tires, or like I tried to drive it under the influence of anything. Either way I still do appreciate the input, and I must say you were totally right, if anything the bus would have popped the hose and the engine would have lost power, requiring me to stop by the side of the road and have to deal with it, and or possibly caused damage to the engine.

Finixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 10:12 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: Mercedes-Benz
Rated Cap: 36pass
Anyway so to end this thread , I took a flight and picked up the bus saturday and first thing I did was I drove down the street to an empty parking lot and drove around for like 30 minutes until I got the hang of the size and turns, it was actually , to me , way easier than I expected, once you get the hang of the size its just like driving any other vehicle. After that I went to a walmart stocked up on groceries blankets and a pillow and a roll of duct tape for the upcoming adventure, I parked in the parking lot and spent the night, (freezing my a off lol) I searched for an autozone and there was one conveniently just down the street before I got on the highway, I stopped and actually waited in the parking lot there for another 30 minutes until they opened. The guy took a look at the hose and told me it was fine, what the hose had was the outer paint layer cracking, he told me the bulge is probably from the angle it was set up, they didnt cut it short enough, but the hose was pliable to the touch and didnt have any signs of leakage or cracking, he told me he could sell me something similar but that they dont really work with freightliner parts and for that I have to go to a different shop, and he told me the name but I forgot lol he also adviced me if I changed it I could possibly leak which would be bad. He then said by his experience I would make it back and then some with that hose, and I actually did, 3 days later of truck stops and endless driving I made it home and tomorrow I can finally start gutting it. And also he advised me not to put duct tape on it unless it was like last resort, because it could build up unnecessary pressure and actually blow up on me.

It was one hell of an adventure and I loved every minute of it, and the best part is tomorrow I can finally start my build, which I will probably make a new thread for to document the process. Thanks to everyone for your input its always appreciated.

I found a place 20 min from where I currently stay to store it and work on it, its a home and the owner has about 5 RV spots and he rented one out to me, also the diesel cost came out to be $320 but the bus already had about $40 in there so it was about right on point.
Finixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 07:38 AM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
those mercedes are troopers!! most people dont realize that mercedes engines in trucks in europe are as common as IH here in the USA..

glad you got the hose checked out and all is good.. now that the bus is hoime and you are eager to do your conversion build, dont forget your engine..

change all your filters(fuel, coolant (if equipped), water separator, trans (external spin on), oil and oil filter.. make sure your coolant is in order.. I'd go ahead and get that hose fixed.. the paint coming off is a sign that hose has been there awhile and if its cut too long it will crack and kink at some point.. great time to fix it with the bus at home base.

make sure your chassis is greased up, rear end fluid is full and clean, if you have oil bath front hubs make sure they are good too.. you just completed a marathin drive and now is a good time to inspect everything on that bus to keep it in tip top shape while it sits for your build-out.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 08:03 AM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Congratulations on your successful trip home. I will never judge anyone's aneurism ever again.
Old 10-07-2020, 01:47 PM   #25
Skoolie

Year: 2008
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 0908S
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 28' 9 window
Glad you made it ok. Can't wait to see your build process
dwood443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 02:13 PM   #26
Almost There

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird 35 shuttle cng
Engine: John deere
Rated Cap: 36
hose

im glad to see you made it. hadnt seen anything posted for a while so was happy to see the hose just looked worse in the picture. enjoy the build process.
demoman is offline   Reply With Quote