Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2020, 10:36 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: Mercedes-Benz
Rated Cap: 36pass
Rent parking space in Florida

Hi Skoolie Forum. Long story short Ive been saving up for over two years now to work on my schoolie build, this is a dream of mine and has been so since I was a teenager. The only problem is Im currently at my parents house and the HOA here wouldnt allow to park a school bus in our drive way, let alone work on it. Ive been waiting for over a year for my parents to move homes to a place with a backyard or large driveway, but I dont see that happening any time soon now and Ive gave up hope. I keep getting older sitting around waiting and its time for me to just do something about it even if I have to spend some cash for a couple of month while I work at least on the important first stuff like gutting it and getting the solar system and water system ready. Im in south florida in the west palm beach area, Im curious to know what alternatives I have to getting this done, any tips or ideas on where I can park to get this done. Ive called a couple of storage places and they tell me I can store it for a couple hundred a monthbut I cant really work on it there and some of them even basically laughed and said theyve never heard of such a thing. Any ideas at all would be great, Im desperate at this point, and with a nice fleet of buses in auction ending in two days I want to figure out when I can get this started by next week.

Finixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 10:49 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
First, welcome to the forum. I see you posted twice, probably by accident. A mod can delete the second posting for you.

If you think you're "desperate" looking for parking just wait until you solve that problem. There are possibilities, you just need to know where to look. Some forum members here in FL may be able to help with your specific locale, I would check craigslist for ads like:
https://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/prk...195912596.html
https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/prk...200836781.html

Just searching "storage" will get you results, contact the posters for the ads that look promising to see if you can do work at these places.

Best of luck!
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 12:07 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 48 passenger
Hi, I'm in the same area so I know what you're talking about with the storage places and their rules. I was fortunately able to fit my midsize in my yard but I had looked the same as you before I bought mine. My recommendation would be forget about the storage businesses and look for a private party on land to work out a deal. The most probable area to find that is in Lox/Acreage where the lots are 1 ac plus. Down here in S. FL Craigslist is oversaturated with garbage so I'd suggest finding a classified group on Facebook or such to post a wanted ad for bus storage. There are specific classified groups for those areas so you can get a target audience. If I were to need that kind of storage, that'd be my direction...
Flipmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 12:38 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Don't buy a bus without some place to work on it!! And also be careful when someone says you can, get it in writing. And also realize you won't get it done in 2 months, particularly if you need to travel to work on it, so the space rent is going to add up. That said, where there is a will you will find a way, just don't rush into mistakes.
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 02:08 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Hi, thank you so much for your replies, yes that is indeed a duplicate post I made by accident I apologize hopefully the one with no replies can get deleted. Also yes I am very aware that I shouldnt buy the bus without having a place first which is why ive waited so long and I am also very aware it is almost impossible to finish a bus in two months. Specially considering Ill be doing most if not all of the work myself. I still appreciate the ideas, I will look into those and the craigslist ads which i has thought about but not really checked into yet, and anyone who has any thoughts at all are most welcome to share. Thank you So much
Old 09-22-2020, 02:26 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
florida is tough.. when i had my place down there I rented space in an 'extra space' storage lot.. the contract said not to work on it but I was able to do some things like changing fan clutches, A/C compressors, etc.. however i definitely wouldnt have left a mess at all day after day or done anything like a roof raise or skinning over the bus / painting etc.. apparently from what I understood in talking to the franchise owner of that space was that abandonment is a huge issue in florida.. people would fill up an RV let it sit forever then quit paying the rent and skip.. they may have moved overseas, etc.. but then they were left with disposing of it.. it becomes a cost to them as if its been torn apart and inoperable it has very little value.. so they were pretty clear on not wanting building being done.. however like I say I did do some stuff.. in 2 months im not sure how much conversion you are planning on doing so maybe if you were just working inside and cleaned up everything after each day you would be OK?
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:33 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Okay so I actually found a couple private owned storage lots and backyards and such around my area that will allow me to work on site its surprising what you can manage when you sit down and actually work towards something, I just called and asked if it was possible to build some said no, a lot of people renting their backyards and lots have no problem with it, I got in contact with the owners and managers, and I have a couple places lined up to just call and get it done, worst case I have to find an emergency spot overnight to park and sleep in the bus until I can meet up the next day. This is happening because I may have accidentally but very willingly bought a bus on ebay about a couple hundred miles away, meaning, 1200 miles away, which is whats going to cost on gas and plane tickets anyway, but I dont mind it much because its the experience and i like to travel, I emailed the seller not meaning to buy it but definitely wanting to and asked if he could lower his price about $500 because the bus has a huge dent on the side, he accepted my offer and i just went with it without thinking much about it it seemed like a fair price to me, I want to include some pics to get some input, any negative comments will still be considered but most likely brushed off because the deposit is in and the plane ticket has been purchased, worst case I bought a lemon and invested about $2k in plane tickets, gas, etc, on a bum trip, best case I just bought myself a cool bus with exactly enough space for what I need.

So any input on the hose would be cool because I have no idea what it is, also an estimate of ab how much it would be on diesel for a little under 1200miles, I guessed about $360 give or take.

Tires look okay front ones look better, Im stoked about the engine only having 100k miles not so stoked about the hose that looks like its about to burst in my face at any point, also not about the fact the dent is right on the fuel cap and near the fuel tank and messed up the bus frame a little.
Attached Thumbnails
7355EB43-12E7-4469-95E2-0585181F437A.jpg   F6B89384-BCEB-46F1-8D3C-C4AA2712B4B8.jpg   F87CC728-9872-4A71-8142-7F640D5B93EF.jpg   C4BB8DA8-7203-4B5F-86FC-28FF5CD897F5.jpg  
Old 10-01-2020, 09:15 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I would also question the hose with the aneurysm. Hopefully the engine experts here can weigh in on that.

Your dent is extremely minor, not really a huge thing to worry about.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:46 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
“”” I would also question the hose with the aneurysm”” . Hopefully the engine experts here can weigh in on that.

Your dent is extremely minor, not really a huge thing to worry about.
Lol thanks

Any comments on the gas lol ? I know that depends all on gas milage on every bus but just like a ball park estimate, I almost wish I could just get rid of the seats before i start the journey
Old 10-01-2020, 09:57 AM   #10
Bus Geek

You'll get in the neighborhood of 10 mpg, so your diesel estimate of $360 is about right. Putting gas in will save you a lot of money by cutting your trip very short.

FYI if you click on User CP in the upper left, you can fill out your profile details and then everyone will know what kind of bus you have, what engine etc. It helps with the giving of advice.

Also FYI, the 100K mileage is probably not accurate. Dashboards on buses die frequently and the replacements are rarely reset to the current mileage. Depending on the vintage (your bus certainly looks new enough), your bus will have a data port that you can plug into to get the engine's true mileage. I was fortunate to discover recently that the 152K on my odometer is only a little less than the true mileage of 156K.
Old 10-01-2020, 10:19 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
You'll get in the neighborhood of 10 mpg, so your diesel estimate of $360 is about right. Putting gas in will save you a lot of money by cutting your trip very short.

FYI if you click on User CP in the upper left, you can fill out your profile details and then everyone will know what kind of bus you have, what engine etc. It helps with the giving of advice.

Also FYI, the 100K mileage is probably not accurate. Dashboards on buses die frequently and the replacements are rarely reset to the current mileage. Depending on the vintage (your bus certainly looks new enough), your bus will have a data port that you can plug into to get the engine's true mileage. I was fortunate to discover recently that the 152K on my odometer is only a little less than the true mileage of 156K.
Oh damn I definitely didnt know about the true milage that is very good advice, thank you, fingers crossed it is about the same case for me I wont be able to see a mechanic until i get back to my destination, Lets hope I make the first trip good.
Old 10-01-2020, 10:24 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finixie View Post
Oh damn I definitely didnt know about the true milage that is very good advice, thank you, fingers crossed it is about the same case for me I wont be able to see a mechanic until i get back to my destination, Lets hope I make the first trip good.
What kind of bus do you have? I recently bought a Bluefire, which is a gadget you plug into your data port and then you can connect to it from a tablet (iOS, Android or Windows) via Bluetooth. My own dashboard cuts in and out all the time, so I got the Bluefire to essentially replace it. The app on the tablet shows everything on your dashboard in real time, and lots of additional stuff as well (like the true mileage).

I don't normally see these listed, but if I were headed off to pick up a bus and drive it 1200 miles, I would absolutely want a Bluefire and tablet with me.
Old 10-01-2020, 10:26 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Regarding the dent: the space behind it is essentially open and is a good spot for mounting an underbody storage box. In this case, you would cut an opening for it in the skirt right where the dent is, and then you have no more dent. One of the possibilities.
Old 10-01-2020, 11:14 AM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Regarding the dent: the space behind it is essentially open and is a good spot for mounting an underbody storage box. In this case, you would cut an opening for it in the skirt right where the dent is, and then you have no more dent. One of the possibilities.
Yes thank you I though of this its reassuring to know this is a possibility
Old 10-01-2020, 04:41 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

The bus is a 35’ 2006 Thomas built freightliner with a Mercedes benz diesel engine and allison transmission, doesnt look too bad I guess we’ll see when I get there not much I can do at this point my flight is in two days, the bus looks a lot better than a lot ive seen fingers crossed that is the actual mileage and I dont think I made a bad purchase, even with the gas money and plane ticket included.

My only concern is the hose what do yall think about just putting tape around it and hope for the best until i finish the trip.
Attached Thumbnails
3B602590-D98F-4D0A-8E43-77A358473EC2.jpg   122CCBEB-1FEF-4141-9C2E-29D187E1E92C.jpg   F2E02ADE-AA61-4581-920E-0610F4D6D48E.jpg  
Old 10-01-2020, 06:21 PM   #16
Skoolie

Year: 2008
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 0908S
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 28' 9 window
That hose looks simple to fix before you drive it. Looks like 3/4 or 1 inch heater hose. Parts store will sell this by the inch and I’m guessing you need 5-6 inches. A straight hose should be able to bend that much. Get two new hose clamps too. Should not be more than $10.

If the hose blew while engine running you lose a lot of coolant. IF THAT IS A COOLANT HOSE.

I’m no expert on Diesel engines but someone else can confirm what that hose is for. Just be ready for something to leak when you loosen it
dwood443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:01 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwood443 View Post
That hose looks simple to fix before you drive it. Looks like 3/4 or 1 inch heater hose. Parts store will sell this by the inch and I’m guessing you need 5-6 inches. A straight hose should be able to bend that much. Get two new hose clamps too. Should not be more than $10.

If the hose blew while engine running you lose a lot of coolant. IF THAT IS A COOLANT HOSE.

I’m no expert on Diesel engines but someone else can confirm what that hose is for. Just be ready for something to leak when you loosen it
Thanks for the reply, yes I was thinking that infact doesnt look like too bad of a fix, Im thinking Ill probably just put tape around it And pray it makes it the first trip and then Ill fix it as soon as I get back.
Old 10-01-2020, 07:07 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Quote:
The bus is a 35’ 2006 Thomas built freightliner with a Mercedes benz diesel engine and allison transmission, doesnt look too bad I guess we’ll see when I get there not much I can do at this point my flight is in two days, the bus looks a lot better than a lot ive seen fingers crossed that is the actual mileage and I dont think I made a bad purchase, even with the gas money and plane ticket included.

My only concern is the hose what do yall think about just putting tape around it and hope for the best until i finish the trip.
That aneurysm really does not look good. I don't think it would swell like that unless whatever that line is was under pressure, and if it's pressurized it will not be too happy when it bursts. Hopefully some of the MBE owners here (they aren't too numerous) will be able to weigh in and at least say what this is.
Old 10-01-2020, 07:48 PM   #19
Skoolie

Year: 2008
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 0908S
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 28' 9 window
Rent parking space in Florida

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, yes I was thinking that infact doesnt look like too bad of a fix, Im thinking Ill probably just put tape around it And pray it makes it the first trip and then Ill fix it as soon as I get back.

I think replacing will give you more peace of mind. Honestly if you can use a screwdriver you can replace.

If you decide to tape get the parts I mentioned and 2 gallons of coolant, a pocket knife and screwdriver. This way you can fix it on the side of the road (after it cools off)
dwood443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 08:24 PM   #20
Almost There

Coachwork: Bluebird 35 shuttle cng
Engine: John deere
Rated Cap: 36
road repairs

please rethink your whole philosophy about this trip.this is not just some trip to go pick up a bus and if something goes wrong you will fix it. this is your and others life in jeopardy if something goes wrong. if you are willing to ignore something so cheap and simple to fix which can have catastrophic consequences to your engine if it fails. what other more difficult items are you willing to ignore or not have the knowledge to know how important it is to fix. please do some research, spend the money, and have a mechanic give it a pre purchase inspection. many truck stops have shops which do a 90 day bit inspection for under $200 which might help you find any problems that might prevent you from making it home.why would you not want to fix a hose which you know will absolutely not make it when it is less than ten bucks and easy to do when cold?
good luck with the trip and i hope you enjoy the new bus.
demoman is offline   Reply With Quote