Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2021, 03:34 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE3000
Engine: 7.6L Navistar DT466
Rated Cap: 84 Passengers
Renting a barn in the NY area??

A continuation from the last question about parking in the NY area. The next big thing I need is a place where I can work on my bus, it needs major renovations, especially the exterior. I need to rent a barn or a hangar where I can fit the bus in (40ft) and work on it protected from the weather. I'm looking for something in upstate NY, NJ, CT, or even the greater area including MA, PA, RI and so on.

Any of you have any good resources that you would suggest for something like that? So far on craigslist I have only found barns for sale, and all the other barn rentals online are for big events and such, not suitable for my purposes.

Thanks!

Ronigbzjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 09:23 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Appalachia, poor country.

Includes the PA / NY border all tge way back to Ohio.

Buying some land there off the beaten track would be cheaper than six month's rent closer to NYC.

But some communities don't cotton to us furriners much, so get to know the folk a bit first
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 01:20 PM   #3
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Appalachia, poor country.

Includes the PA / NY border all tge way back to Ohio.

Buying some land there off the beaten track would be cheaper than six month's rent closer to NYC.

But some communities don't cotton to us furriners much, so get to know the folk a bit first
Oh no, I don't want to buy land, just rent a place for 2-3 months. I don't want to spend more than 500 a month. Just a big enough indoor space, no hookups, within reasonable distance (~30 miles) from big home improvement stores like Lowe's and Home Depot.
Old 05-29-2021, 03:15 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Sorry but within 100mi of NYC you likely can't even find an 8x10' bedroom in a decrepit share house for under $700 a month.

Just the insurance issues IMO would not make it worth their while.
Old 05-29-2021, 03:29 PM   #5
Almost There

Quote:
Sorry but within 100mi of NYC you likely can't even find an 8x10' bedroom in a decrepit share house for under $700 a month.

Just the insurance issues IMO would not make it worth their while.
Yeah, a room in an apartment in a shared house and an indoor storage space are just not the same thing. A room in an apartment includes many other things you pay for other than just the space. You can check websites like stowit.com where people offer their spare spaces for vehicle storage even as close as Jersey City across the river for as little as $200 a month. Sadly I only found there spaces that are too small for me, but that's the general idea.
Old 05-29-2021, 03:38 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Same here in cheap, Florida. $500 will get you one horse stall w/water, plus access to shared "pasture". Owners who want to "hang out" 8hrs a day are encouraged move on.

Would $500 cover the property taxes in NY? $17/day seems like a monthly rate for a primitive campsite.

I'll do it, just for you, yourself. We only have oak tree covered parking, though.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 03:52 PM   #7
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMac View Post
Same here in cheap, Florida. $500 will get you one horse stall w/water, plus access to shared "pasture". Owners who want to "hang out" 8hrs a day are encouraged move on.

Would $500 cover the property taxes in NY? $17/day seems like a monthly rate for a primitive campsite.

I'll do it, just for yourself. We only have oak tree covered parking, though.
Thanks for the offer, but Florida is a little bit far from New York...

Guys, don't stick to the $500 figure. I get it, but the main problem for me right now is to find a space large enough that's covered. First I need to find some spaces, and we'll see then how much the rent is and what are my choices.
Old 05-29-2021, 04:06 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Yes my point was the larger space costs more

and not for storage only, the renter being around costs more

plus as mentioned higher risks, annoyances liability, neighbors noticing

from the workshop / makerspace activities

I know literally hundreds of property owners with big barns but not one that would consider it for even thousands per month and then only if they were really in a jam.

99.99% of them are in use, full of stuff or dangerously falling apart, would take many thousands of dollars and weeks of labour just to prepare for what you want.

I'd say try advertising in Craig's starting toward the areas I mentioned
Old 05-29-2021, 06:35 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
ha! I can t even find reasonable land within 50 miles of my OHIO city (columbus).. I wanted to build a barn-do-minium where I could build my classic busses and carve out 1500 or so sq ft for a house built inside of it..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 09:25 AM   #10
Bus Geek

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File...chian_Ohio.png

https://i.imgur.com/YXTvBpw.jpg
Old 05-30-2021, 09:27 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
I was trying to figure out how you managed a completely blank post. I guess this forum doesn't like wiki pic links.
Old 05-31-2021, 08:53 AM   #12
Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Cheverolet
Chassis: 3500 Express
Engine: 6.0L V8 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronigbzjr View Post
Oh no, I don't want to buy land, just rent a place for 2-3 months. I don't want to spend more than 500 a month. Just a big enough indoor space, no hookups, within reasonable distance (~30 miles) from big home improvement stores like Lowe's and Home Depot.

This is a big budget. You could achieve this in PA or MD easily. You could probably just get a self storage space for $100mo.
buslivesmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 06:57 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Lewis
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: 14
I'm in MA and recently finished using the back half of a manufacturing/ warehouse space. That place is definitely not big enough for your 40 footer but I did find other places that would have been; this guy let me use his space for free which is why I chose it. I had another place lined up at $300 a month so keep looking, they're out there. The place i was going to use was a big old warehouse being used for vehicle storage. I also found a closed down car dealership in the adirondacks that was up for it but went with the closer option.

I found most of the spaces I investigated on Craigslist. I looked for manufacturing and industrial spaces that were for rent long term and offered them short term rental money. Granted it was during the covid shutdown so people might have been more desperate but I found at least four places that would have worked.

This place is closed for now because they're expanding but if for some reason you need it later in the year, check out Facilities - THE WORCSHOP

I don't know how large the bays are but when I was looking for a place for my 20 foot shorty rebuild they had the room but were not open; there's some permit thing going on that has required them to close the whole facility until they get the new biuilding they're buying up to code (or something like that) - anyway they're closed ATM and say they'll reopen late summer or early fall. It looks like a very cool place.
firebuild is offline   Reply With Quote