Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2023, 10:12 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas Built Freightliner. Allison 2000 tranny
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65 (dognose)
Engine: Mercedes MBE 906 six cylinder diesel
Rated Cap: 35 feet long
Repairing window latches on a Thomas built bus

I have a 2004, 10 window Thomas built bus. The windows slide open and closed vertically. As the bus bounces down the road, several windows open about an inch. (That is, they appear to land on the detents in the window channel second from the top ones.) There are a couple of windows that stay open about half an inch on just one side. (see attached photos.)

I'd appreciate any suggestions about how to get them all to stay closed, in a way that still permits them to be opened normally.

Over Christmas there was a blizzard in our area that caused us to lose power in our home for four days. Sustained strong winds blew snow horizontally. If you want to see all the unexpected places where snow can end up inside a skoolie (and why I'm so pressed to get these windows fixed) check out this three minute video I posted a few days ago:

Attached Thumbnails
open on one side.jpg   open an inch.jpg   window channel.jpg  

David from Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 09:03 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP-EF
Engine: Cat C7 + Allison 3000PTS
In my Thomas bus I’m able to manually push those latches into locking position if they don’t slide over on their own, have you tried that?

In terms of your drivers area I’ve found that sliding toll window is very leaky, every time I get the bus washed the drivers seat is soaked even though the window is shut. Water comes in above the window as it really doesn’t mate with the frame well.
dbsoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 12:07 PM   #3
Almost There

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas Built Freightliner. Allison 2000 tranny
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65 (dognose)
Engine: Mercedes MBE 906 six cylinder diesel
Rated Cap: 35 feet long
Thanks for your reply. The latches are meant to be spring loaded. I wonder if there is a lubricant that would help them slide into the locked position more easily.

I see your point about the driver's window. Not a great seal where it slides in its channel.
David from Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broken, repair, windows