Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2021, 10:38 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Roof Raise and Wind

How much do you notice your roof raise in high winds? How high did you go?

I plan to watch the weather and plan my trip accordingly. But if you get caught unaware, does a raised roof significantly increase the threat of tipping over? How high can you push it? 1, 2, or 3'?

Mrmagoo1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 01:09 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2013
Chassis: IC RE
Engine: HT570 / 3500SP
Rated Cap: 4
I still don't understand what's the hipe with these roof raises. One can easily stand up in a school bus, and there's room for a lot of storage on each side above the windows. More volume to heat, weird appearance, legally and structurally borderline, bad handling (especially with the wind), ...
No judgment, I just can't see the benefit. There is probably something I missed. Could you explain?
ABBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 01:40 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Have not decided to do one, just curious how bad it makes it handle?

I have seen some cool builds with them (kids reading nook up above).
Mrmagoo1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 05:54 AM   #4
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABBus View Post
I still don't understand what's the hipe with these roof raises. One can easily stand up in a school bus, and there's room for a lot of storage on each side above the windows. More volume to heat, weird appearance, legally and structurally borderline, bad handling (especially with the wind), ...
No judgment, I just can't see the benefit. There is probably something I missed. Could you explain?
If you gut everything and do something that raises or thickens the floor such as a radiant subfloor, the existing headroom disappears quickly, and most people want to be able to stand no matter where they are in the bus, which you cannot do at the sides due to roof curvature. Not all buses have a uniform roof height either.

As buses are already top-heavy, I think wind is absolutely a good consideration. I can tell you that I think the roof curvature and the sheer weight in the lower extremes of a skoolie would help to counter this, but ultimately I think high winds could be a problem. As a former over-the-road trucker, I can tell you that Wyoming is no joke. When those wind warnings for high-profile vehicles go up, they mean it.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 08:19 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
If you gut everything and do something that raises or thickens the floor such as a radiant subfloor, the existing headroom disappears quickly, and most people want to be able to stand no matter where they are in the bus, which you cannot do at the sides due to roof curvature. Not all buses have a uniform roof height either.

As buses are already top-heavy, I think wind is absolutely a good consideration. I can tell you that I think the roof curvature and the sheer weight in the lower extremes of a skoolie would help to counter this, but ultimately I think high winds could be a problem. As a former over-the-road trucker, I can tell you that Wyoming is no joke. When those wind warnings for high-profile vehicles go up, they mean it.

this is true if you want 4 or 5 inches of insulation above and 2 below that headroom will be gone. not everybody is short.with the added height you should remember you are adding thousands of pounds under it so that counteracts the added surface area on the side. like taking the same trailer thru Laramie to Rawlings wyo once with 10,000 lbs with 60 mph winds then with 38,000 the next day with 70 mph. on the second day i sailed thru as the profile was the same but i had weight. if you re going thru wind fill all your tanks
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 08:20 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

i did park last week for a while as we had a 102 mph by laramie if you see that, nose it into the wind and park
Old 03-07-2021, 08:21 AM   #7
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore6856 View Post
like taking the same trailer thru Laramie to Rawlings wyo once with 10,000 lbs with 60 mph winds then with 38,000 the next day with 70 mph. on the second day i sailed thru as the profile was the same but i had weight. if you re going thru wind fill all your tanks
That actually brings up an idea I think is worth noting... Why not have ballast tanks for this purpose? GVWR pending of course.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:12 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Unfortunately that along with other good ideas are not what the management or truck designers will ever consider as they lost touch with reality years ago
Old 03-07-2021, 11:00 AM   #9
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: 6-71TA
Rated Cap: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABBus View Post

Unless your short, not everyone can stand up in a school bus. Especially, after adding insulation, flooring etc. This also depends on the Bus since some are more round (ex. Crown). My height and others in my family are above average, so don't want to be bending our necks as we walk around inside.
GWRider is offline   Reply With Quote