Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Should I start a roof raise business?
Yes, that could be successful (or, yes, I'd buy one) 8 44.44%
No, that wouldn't be successful (or, no, I wouldn't buy one) 8 44.44%
My opinion falls outside these options. 2 11.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-21-2022, 09:26 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird TC2000
Engine: 24 valve 5.9 cummins
Rated Cap: 42
I grew up on a bus conversion business. We raised the roofs on Silver Eagles. It wasn't the only thing we did to the bus though.
We raised the roofs re glasses the front and rear caps, rolled out custom fiberglass sides so the bus was seamless all the way around and then gave it a full custom RV style paint job.
It was the package deal that brought on the business. If we only raised the roof it wouldn't have been as successful.

Jay Brand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 03:13 PM   #22

I also think that you need to connect your business not only with raising roofs, maybe you need to add some tuning
james77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 08:36 AM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
I eliminated the front door so my girlfriend can ride comfortably next to me, she gets motion sick if not watching the road. Also we have the bed up front (only one at Skooliepalooza) so when it's made we don't have to crawl over it to get in and out. Most of the rest of you usually put the master bedroom in the rear but you can't haul anything back there then.
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 12:39 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyrick View Post
Most of the rest of you usually put the master bedroom in the rear but you can't haul anything back there then.
Au contraire. Of course, it helps to be single!
Old 09-27-2022, 07:42 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Au contraire. Of course, it helps to be single!
Yup!
I realized THAT l'il factoid after about a decade of weeded blis(ter)...
Old 01-23-2023, 03:29 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

I would hire you for a roof raise
Mobobaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 09:23 PM   #27
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
my wife and i raised our schoolie 16 inches. it was decided to only go 16 so even with solar panels we would just be under 12 ft tall. the 4 inches of insulation really makes a difference on the roof . i dont know how we could survive i it without the raise and i realize that without some of my prior metalworking skills it would have been hard and we might have not done it. so if you want to start a oof raise buisness i think it would be great as more people could enjoy a higher ceiling.
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 01:37 PM   #28

Year: 2009
Chassis: Thomas freightliner c2
Engine: Mercedes 900
Rated Cap: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corl View Post
DISCLAIMER: first post, sorry if in wrong thread.

Should I start a roof raise business?

Would you, as a person looking for a bus to convert, prefer to raise the roof yourself, or would you prefer to buy a pre-raised bus?

How much would you be willing to pay, for such? For example: two busses available; both are 40ft, dog-nose, 2000 Thomas builts, with similar mileage, both have complete service records and recent engine overhauls. One is a stock bus, seats in place; the other has had the seats and insulation removed, the roof raised by 16-24 inches, and sheet metal over where the windows used to be (allowing you to cut your own windows). If the first one is worth $10k (or any arbitrary value), how much is the second worth?

In my head, I'd offer two different services:
A) pre-raised busses, for sale. These would be busses that I have personally bought, raised the roof myself by a given height, then posted on ebay/craigslist/here/elsewhere, for sale. I'd deliver anywhere in the continental US, and Canada.
B) Custom roof raises, in which I take my own bus to your property, raise your roof with my own equipment, and make sure that you're satisfied with my work.

Context: I've raised 4 school bus roofs, all for good friends, and all for "pizza and beer", essentially. I've been a welder and fabricator for ten years, and the entire process was really rather straightforward; but I can understand why some people might not want to do it themselves, and I couldn't find many people offering roof raises as a service, though there were some.

TL;DR: Should I start a roof raise business?

Hey there, did you ever start your business? Or at the least are you taking jobs? I need a welder in general for skoolie projects
614-664-3317

I think you are too far away from me though
t1gress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 03:41 PM   #29
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Coachwork?
Chassis: International
Engine: CAT 3208 Marine Diesel
Bodywork is definitely something a lot of people don’t understand the amount of equipment you need to have or acquire to do a decent And time efficient job. Lots of people buy buses with varying degrees of rust, and are looking for someone to do a good enough job remediating it.

Customers may have roof leaks, window leaks, broken bus window panes, bent or misaligned bus doors, missing access panels, or busted rear lights. Customers may need seam sealing, window replacement, weather stripping replacement, body straightening, small steel panel fabrication, turn signal light replacement.

Then there’s the nasty parts: moldy & crumbling subfloors, rust remediation and fiberglass removal, fiberglass may or may not contain asbestos. Then cleaning the inside skeleton up in preparation for insulation.

Then there’s doing a great insulation & paneling job, which may require multiple Load Locks depending on the method employed.

There are so many little things that aren’t thought of in a bus build until you’re faced with them. The very small things you could include in your services, which will make your customers rave about how thoughtful you were. Little things like moving the bus wiring through the skeleton or relocating speakers.

Electrical, plumbing and HVAC is something you don’t have to offer as a service but will be a limit on the amount of leads you get.

Structural additions to the bus like roof rack (which I would call it as, not as a roof deck for insurance reasons), underframe platforms or hanging tanks, hitch additions, rear deck, side door additions, and roof raises (you could possibly get around personal liability by making your customer sign a waiver / hold harmless contract, with a part stating they are choosing to go without an engineer’s signature, and the subsequent liability protection that offers) is something people want.

Knowing how to contract out elements you aren’t qualified to do, like A/C removal can bring you revenue for arranging that work so the customer doesn’t have to.

Lots of people don’t want to drive their bus to a shop, where they can’t see it. If you live full time in your rig, you could show your work to customers (if you built your rig yourself) and live on their property as you work on their bus. Shops also have big overhead (figuratively and literally) which they have to include in their prices, and may be 1000 miles away from the customer. Some customers can’t legally drive their bus because they are still have the previous owners commercial title.

The best part is, unlike other mobile businesses, is you don’t have to find a new customer every day. Each customer may need a week to a month worth of work on their bus.

You could store all the tools and equipment needed under your floor like I plan to do or you could have it all inside of a large enclosed cargo trailer. If you have a towed vehicle, you could use that to go into town for parts and supplies.

By showing past quality work (document everything!), and daily communicating with your customer, you are offering a better service than 90% of contractors in any specialty.
Customer service is the new marketing, and showing quality work will cause your lead flow to fill up fast!
Inner Love is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 10:54 AM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Chassis: RE 3000
Engine: DT530
Corl,
We are located in Raleigh, NC and in the market for a bus for a skoolie conversion. We will definitely be doing a roof raise.. we have decided it is a non-negotiable on our list as we want to do spray foam insulation & will be doing bunks in the back for our girls; we want them to have comfortable head room
We would be interested in hiring your services when we've got our bus!
closequarters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 02:19 PM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2011
Chassis: Thomas C2
Engine: Cummins 6.7
This is the one job I wouldn’t want to do. Also I think having a professionally modified structure done but a business with its own insurance would make it easier to insure the bus for your customers after.
Ace418 is offline   Reply With Quote