Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2020, 01:01 AM   #1

RPMs too high! MPG too low.....

I have a 1997 international DT 466E with an Allison transmission automatic. I want to use this vehicle to deliver campers however at 63 miles an hour pushing 2300 RPMs and only getting 8.9 miles per gallon.

My questions are is this transmission that came with this truck programmable? is there really a sixth gear? Does anybody know of a overdrive unit that can bolt behind the transmission?

Would it be worth it to buy a new “pumpkin” and change out the gears?

I guess if I have to I would put a manual transmission in but I really want to keep this Allison automatic or one like it......

I’m guessing if I can lower the RPMs the MPG’s would rise.

By the way I’m guessing there’s some kind a governor on this truck or something because the cruise control won’t set any higher than 63 probably a good idea anyway:

Thanx:

Glenn

GlennReaIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 10:48 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennReaIdaho View Post
I have a 1997 international DT 466E with an Allison transmission automatic. I want to use this vehicle to deliver campers however at 63 miles an hour pushing 2300 RPMs and only getting 8.9 miles per gallon.

My questions are is this transmission that came with this truck programmable? is there really a sixth gear? Does anybody know of a overdrive unit that can bolt behind the transmission?

Would it be worth it to buy a new “pumpkin” and change out the gears?

I guess if I have to I would put a manual transmission in but I really want to keep this Allison automatic or one like it......

I’m guessing if I can lower the RPMs the MPG’s would rise.

By the way I’m guessing there’s some kind a governor on this truck or something because the cruise control won’t set any higher than 63 probably a good idea anyway:

Thanx:

Glenn
You need to find out WHICH Allison tranny you have. Likely the AT545. It does not have a lockdown tranny. It does not have overdrive or 6th gear.

If you do have the tranny with 6th gear, then yes, replace the gears in your "pumpkin". There is also a tutorial thread here on "onlocking " the 6th gear.

If you are speed governed, catallackid may be able to free you.
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 10:53 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Just curious. What do you mean by " I want to use this vehicle to deliver campers ".
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 10:59 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
I dunno, 9 mpg doesn't sound too bad for a bus, esp. if its a full size bus. We get around 7.5 maybe 8 mpg. Not sure how much gain you can expect to get and whether it'd be worth the cost of swapping out gears to do it.
Old 07-19-2020, 11:33 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
If it has the AT-545 you may want to keep looking for a bus with a more suitable transmission.

Hauling travel trailers down the interstate at 65 mph is likely to kill a 545 before long.

Also, be aware of length limits in various states. That will place a limit on what you can legally pull behind a bus.

You can probably get away with running a little over length pulling your own trailer but delivering for a manufacturer, they will insist that you run legal.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 11:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Gnome View Post
You need to find out WHICH Allison tranny you have. Likely the AT545. It does not have a lockdown tranny. It does not have overdrive or 6th gear.

If you do have the tranny with 6th gear, then yes, replace the gears in your "pumpkin". There is also a tutorial thread here on "onlocking " the 6th gear.

I’m guessing you’re right but this is an at545 I intend to go to international with the Vin numbers. This is a cab and chassis truck it is not a school bus
I will try to find the thread about same. Thanks for the info on unlocking the governor although I don’t think it will make much difference since at 70 miles an hour the RPMs are maxed
Old 07-19-2020, 11:37 AM   #7

I guess I should’ve mentioned that this is not a bus it is a cab and chassis truck
Old 07-19-2020, 11:40 AM   #8

I should let you guys know that this is a 4700 truck and cab and chassis
Old 07-19-2020, 11:41 AM   #9

This vehicle is a cab and chassis I deliver gooseneck and bumper pole recreational vehicle for a living
Old 07-19-2020, 12:30 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Does it have a push-button shifter?

If so, it is probably an MD-3060. That would be FAR better suited to your application.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 12:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Does it have a push-button shifter?

If so, it is probably an MD-3060. That would be FAR better suited to your application.
No sir it is not the push button has a lever
Old 07-19-2020, 02:09 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Gnome View Post

A 545 has 4 forward gears.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 03:54 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
your MPG and RPMs are about right.. your valve cover will tell you what spec 466E you have... the trans is likely MT643 or AT545.. a picture of the transmission would tell us what you have..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 04:41 PM   #14
Almost There

Year: 1996
Coachwork: American Fire & Rescue
Chassis: IH 4900
Engine: DT466 250hp P-pump
Do you have 5 forward speeds now? Does your shifter indicate 1-2-3-4-D? or 1-2-3-D?
If it’s the former and you have 5 speeds it’s probably the Md3060 tranny which IS 6 speed capable. You will NOT be able to work through the IH dealer to unlock 6th, but there are options for the persistent Contact the member “bapos” for the contact info of an Allison guru. Also check out the Allison 6 gear unlock tutorial; it’s very long with a lot of info, most of it true😄. If you’re in a hurry skip to the last couple pages and find the posts by bapos. You may also need to bump up the hp for the taller gear, especially if you have mountains in your future. I have heard of a reflash for the computer to give a little more power, but not a lot.
concrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 09:10 AM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Chassis: Tc2000
Diesel Engine head pressure has alot to do with that.
Im getting mine checked in a couple weeks.
5.9 Cummins with and allison os what i run.
Get a diesel mechanic to check that first.

A lot cheaper than changing the other stuff.
Jist a thought
NavyVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 10:48 AM   #16
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
your MPG and RPMs are about right.. your valve cover will tell you what spec 466E you have... the trans is likely MT643 or AT545.. a picture of the transmission would tell us what you have..
As said above.

The 643 is a HD 4sp auto with lockup converter -- I'd say this is the minimum you'd want for your intended purpose.

The 545 has no lockup so will be making more heat & less mpg...
Neither of these trannys have any o/d to unlock.

The MD3060 came behind your engine so the parts exist but that's a serious project although long term and if you're driving enough could be worth it.

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 03:15 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: GILLIG
Chassis: G18E102R2
Engine: Cummins ISC 8.3
Rated Cap: 23 sits 33 stand
Mileage

For some unknown reason many folks tend to exaggerate their fuel mileage.

We just made a trip from Pueblo Co to Key west FL in our 36 foot Cummins all mechanical 300 HP 8.3 powered motor home. Towing a JEEP TJ, it got 9 MPG without the Jeep and 8 MPG with the Jeep at the local speed limit for the drive. We parked the RV and took the Jeep out to Key West. Was a great and long planned trip. We operated at least one class 8 truck for years, powered by Cummins, or Cat or Detroit, Was a lucky trip when we got 6 MPG with a load. Once we did a heavy haul with a 500 HP Detroit, did around 1 MPG from Norfolk to Seattle. OUCH
oleman is offline   Reply With Quote