Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2018, 07:30 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
RV Window Salvage

A couple months ago someone posted a build where they got a bunch of used RV windows from an RV salvage place. Can anyone direct me to that build or salvage outfit? I want to remove all my windows, skin the sides and then add windows in the size, shape, and location I want.

o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 07:45 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 20 person
I would be interested as well. We are not skinning over the side but would like to replace a couple of the back windows.
Youtube - bit.ly/TheBowserJournal
BowserJournal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 07:57 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
A couple months ago someone posted a build where they got a bunch of used RV windows from an RV salvage place. Can anyone direct me to that build or salvage outfit? I want to remove all my windows, skin the sides and then add windows in the size, shape, and location I want.
There's a RV salvage place outside Phoenix...

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 08:33 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 65 passenger
I believe it was tristatesurplusllc.com, then go to their ebay tab. They have lots of new and used rev windows.
gadawg9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:59 AM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Just be careful, most rv windows are made for a predetermined wall thickness. If you called to have windows made they are only concerned with rough opening size, and wall thickness. Not trying to discourage you, just do a lot of measuring before laying down the cash.
RRRVBUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 08:45 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
There are a number of RV surplus stores in northern Indiana/southern Michigan. The best for windows Johnson's and Bontraggers both in White Pigeon MI. Here's a link to map and list.

RV Surplus stores

Quote:
Just be careful, most rv windows are made for a predetermined wall thickness. If you called to have windows made they are only concerned with rough opening size, and wall thickness.
Your walls are going to be thicker than an RV. The RV window manufactures pretty much make their windows all the same. They are made to fit different thicknesses by the inner trim ring being a different offset. The surplus places have trim rings but they are usually just in a pile and you have to, maybe, find your own.

I don't like the looks of the trim rings anyway. I like my window trim to look like a house with a window sill. I just make all of my own.

Unfortunately you almost have to see them and pick out your own and shipping gets to be a bit high.

Anyone wanting to venture to northern IN. It's worth the trip if you know what you want. Stop in and we can prowl the stores. I can probably help if you know what you want.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:00 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/Allison
Rated Cap: 74
I just bought 5 windows from tristate 1- 60x36 3- 48x36 and a 42x15 with trim rings and shipping for under 500.00 these were new windows with what I thought were normal wear and tear from storage and shipping.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:05 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa View Post
There are a number of RV surplus stores in northern Indiana/southern Michigan. The best for windows Johnson's and Bontraggers both in White Pigeon MI. Here's a link to map and list.

RV Surplus stores

Your walls are going to be thicker than an RV. The RV window manufactures pretty much make their windows all the same. They are made to fit different thicknesses by the inner trim ring being a different offset. The surplus places have trim rings but they are usually just in a pile and you have to, maybe, find your own

I don't like the looks of the trim rings anyway. I like my window trim to look like a house with a window sill. I just make all of my own.

Unfortunately you almost have to see them and pick out your own and shipping gets to be a bit high.

Anyone wanting to venture to northern IN. It's worth the trip if you know what you want. Stop in and we can prowl the stores. I can probably help if you know what you want.
Although mine came with trim rings I also intend to "house trim" mine also I just hope mine come out as well as yours
Old 03-01-2018, 11:06 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
The only downside to framing inside is all those windows have the pesky radiused corner to catch debris in. The trim rings eleviate that issue.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:54 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 20 person
I watched a video on the RVGeeks youtube channel just a couple days ago and they talked about custom made windows for your size and wall thickness. It would be more expensive but probably lest headaches.
Youtube - bit.ly/TheBowserJournal
BowserJournal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 10:12 PM   #11
Bus Nut

There is someone (Rodger Fisher) on Skoolie Converters of Texas, selling a bunch of(26) windows.
That's all the info I have
1olfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 11:06 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1olfart View Post
There is someone (Rodger Fisher) on Skoolie Converters of Texas, selling a bunch of(26) windows.
That's all the info I have
Hey......tried googling but couldn't find him.....anything else you can add? I've been searching for a driver's window for a couple of months with no luck.

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 10:15 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowserJournal View Post
I watched a video on the RVGeeks youtube channel just a couple days ago and they talked about custom made windows for your size and wall thickness. It would be more expensive but probably lest headaches.
I called about custom made windows @ two outlets they must be interconnected or in cahoots as the price was within $5.00 of each other and the price was almost 6 times what I paid Tristate for mine. Thats what I paid for the bus!
Old 03-04-2018, 05:13 PM   #14
Bus Nut

plfking

They are a Facebook group that I follow. I replied to him, and suggested that there may be some takers on this forum. I hope that he will follow up here. Maybe our members can get some windows, and we well get some new members out of the deal. I will follow up, here, and see what/ if anything happens. I will contact him again if I don't see anything happening here.
1olfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:23 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1olfart View Post
plfking

They are a Facebook group that I follow. I replied to him, and suggested that there may be some takers on this forum. I hope that he will follow up here. Maybe our members can get some windows, and we well get some new members out of the deal. I will follow up, here, and see what/ if anything happens. I will contact him again if I don't see anything happening here.
Thanks Harry, I appreciate the effort.

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:30 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Chassis: GMC G3500 Vandura
Engine: V-8 5.7L Gas
Yeah, I'm also looking for four of them.
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote